New Safari?

Arminius

31 posts in this topic

Yes, copy Safari 2.0 x86 over to a Mac and run the update. Observe the file sizes, interesting. I zipped a copy of each before updating to preserve the original. I ran the x86 build on my PowerBook and it launched just fine. Interesting that it's a quarter the size...

post-6772-1125383238_thumb.jpg

Well, now we know it doesn't work. I gave up on my OSx86 machine so I couldn't test it. The ol' Gateway is happily dual booting the OEM Windows 2000 Pro and Ubuntu Linux now. And my PowerBook G4 is running Mac OS 10.4.2 just great. Glad to help out where I can, but I don't see myself getting more suitable hardware anytime soon.

Anyone know what this is (see attachment)? It keeps popping up everytime I use the new Safari. I don't think I've seen it on the older safari. Quite annoying, and a bit concerning seeing how its asking for keychain access.

As a result, I'm now only going to use the old safari...

post-8212-1125550919_thumb.jpg

Anyone know what this is (see attachment)?  It keeps popping up everytime I use the new Safari.  I don't think I've seen it on the older safari.  Quite annoying, and a bit concerning seeing how its asking for keychain access. 

As a result, I'm now only going to use the old safari...

That's just the Keychain (secure login and password storage system in OS X) asking for approval to allow the new Safari access. This will happen every time you update any app that accesses the keychain, it's a security thing, prevents malicious apps from getting at your confidential data.

• 2 weeks later...

God, I'm glad swf works without Rosetta. It might be a little slow but it's much quicket than opera or Firefox. It can't beat Shiira's speed, but Shiira still lacks many features which i'm sure will slow it down in future developments.

With a little more testing of safari_x86_201.zip, flash does work without rosetta. BUT it does also crash often. Glad I didn't bin the old version. Will have to live without flash for a while.

Cheers

That's very cool. Since safari_x86_201.zip is a PPC binary, how did you get your PPC binaries to run without Rosetta??!? We're all anxiously awaiting how you did this.

That's very cool. Since safari_x86_201.zip is a PPC binary, how did you get your PPC binaries to run without Rosetta??!? We're all anxiously awaiting how you did this.

I don't think I was the only one that got 201 to run without Rosetta. I beleive it was mentioned earlier and I just downloaded the file from the link here and ran it. What I meant with unstable was that when you closed the app, it would error and ask me to submit the crash log. Aside from the app taking alot of processor cycles and it works without Rosetta somewhat, it does work if you can liive with it.