Hate to say this but, the very first impression of "new look" is "yuck!" :(

Master Chief

Master Chief

Just Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts
Edit and Options buttons broken. Here's what I got clicking on one of them:

function () { var B = this[0], C = this[1], J = this[2]; var G, F, H; var I = Math.max(B, C, J), E = Math.min(B, C, J); var K = I - E; H = I / 255; F = I != 0 ? K / I : 0; if (F == 0) { G = 0; } else { var D = (I - B) / K; var A = (I - C) / K; var L = (I - J) / K; if (B == I) { G = L - A; } else { if (C == I) { G = 2 + D - L; } else { G = 4 + A - D; } } G /= 6; if (G < 0) { G++; } } return [Math.round(G * 360), Math.round(F * 100), Math.round(H * 100)]; }
function () { var C = Math.round(this[2] / 100 * 255); if (this[1] == 0) { return [C, C, C]; } else { var A = this[0] % 360; var E = A % 60; var F = Math.round(this[2] * (100 - this[1]) / 10000 * 255); var D = Math.round(this[2] * (6000 - this[1] * E) / 600000 * 255); var B = Math.round(this[2] * (6000 - this[1] * (60 - E)) / 600000 * 255); switch (Math.floor(A / 60)) { case 0: return [C, B, F]; case 1: return [D, C, F]; case 2: return [F, C, B]; case 3: return [F, D, C]; case 4: return [B, F, C]; case 5: return [C, F, D]; default:; } } return false; }

The ad-space at the top is way too dominant, and the icon images should be reduced because this is eating much screen real estate. Too much in my opinion.

SticMAC™

SticMAC™

"Nobody likes a SmartASS"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,590 posts
I see there is now 2 addspaces, one above the InsanelyMac and one just above the forum pages? Luckily for me the second one doesn't show any adds, just a big grey box!! Another messup on the new look!
It kinda like reminds me off the first Smart Car(Mercedes) that came out, it was a great little car but overturned if one went around the corners at speed! This made it great for going in a straight line but hell to turn into the driveway!

Ed

Ed

Old skool Mac user

• Administrators
  • 803 posts
@SticMAC, thanks for the feedback - we've moved that 2nd ad right down to the bottom so we're not taking up quite so much screen real estate up the top

@Master Chief, your queries have been addressed, please let me know if you've got any other feedback!

PaulMUK

PaulMUK

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Fubra Team
  • 23 posts
  • Interests:Macs, Linux, Snowboarding, Rollerblading
There seems to be a problem with the user info boxes next to each post now. They are varying in width for me:
Posted Image

bofors

bofors

ConvertIt2Mac.com

• Members
  • 3,462 posts

@SticMAC, thanks for the feedback - we've moved that 2nd ad right down to the bottom so we're not taking up quite so much screen real estate up the top

Ed. you would probably be a lot better off by moving the ads from the top and bottom to the sides of the page. As it stands now, the ads at the top and bottom are barely visible and lost in the clutter.

I also think you should consider finding some tech forum websites which people generally agree do advertising right to use as models. Unfortunately, I do not have any good suggestions, but AppleInsider is not bad and I am sure the community has some favorites.

EDIT: I see the "edit" function is now working, great!

PaulMUK

PaulMUK

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Fubra Team
  • 23 posts
  • Interests:Macs, Linux, Snowboarding, Rollerblading
A few more points....

Safari Padding Issues

Also, there are still some issues with spacing of the topic / forum names in Safari.

Safari:
Posted Image

Firefox:
Posted Image

Firefox looks a lot better.

Alignment of Page numbers & Add Reply / New Topic Buttons

The page numbers and add reply / new topic buttons should be aligned to the middle of the space they occupy, and I also think they should be have some padding from the outer edge, so that they line up horizontally with the blue boxes above / below

Posted Image

cmdshft

cmdshft

Retired OSx86

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 922 posts
Could you please take my IP out of the post (blur it)?

Ed

Ed

Old skool Mac user

• Administrators
  • 803 posts
@Paul - sorted that first one, just working on the next 2...

(MoC)

(MoC)

InsanelyMacaholic

• Members
  • 2,653 posts
  • Interests:Plenty.

Well, at least there's cake.

Posted Image

Suhail

Suhail

Love is Gone...

• Retired
  • 7,411 posts
  • Interests:PHP Coding
    Trance Music
    Xbox 360 :)
    Web Designing
@Hara Taiki, I removed your IP. Sorry about that
@MoC: We do what we must... because we can. But there's no sense crying over every mistake... You just keep on trying till you run out of cake. (I love Portal!)

inimicus

inimicus

Drunk and Angry Slurs in 31 Flavors

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts
Epic failure.

The result of amateur designers: this mess.

I'm still confused why this was released abruptly. Wasn't there cross-browser, cross-platform QA performed before the theme was hastily implemented?

(I already know the answer is most likely "no," but perhaps maybe "why" would be a better form of the question.)

bofors

bofors

ConvertIt2Mac.com

• Members
  • 3,462 posts
There are some problems with the <print> thread option. I am working with this thread:
http://www.insanelym...howtopic=134515

Here are the details:

(1) The post background turns dark so that it makes most of the text very hard to read before actually printing.

(2) The end of thread is lost in the print version.

bofors

bofors

ConvertIt2Mac.com

• Members
  • 3,462 posts
Here is some more feedback... (I am assuming the Google search field at the top of the site is now new, but I am not sure).

I was searching for a BadAxe1 RAID installatoin note thread I created months ago...

Compare what the Google search field at the top of the site returns for "bofors + badaxe + vanilla + raid":

- http://www.insanelym.....anilla + raid

(2 results, neither is what I was looking for.)

With direct use of Google with "site:insanelymac.com bofors + badaxe + vanilla + raid"

- http://www.google.co...i...-8&oe=UTF-8

(129 results, the first one is exactly what I was looking for.)

I suppose we could just blame Google here, but we are supposed on the cutting of edge of technology here.

Master Chief

Master Chief

Just Chief

• Members
  • 1,176 posts

@Master Chief, your queries have been addressed, please let me know if you've got any other feedback!

Thanks. Here are two more/other nits:

1) there's no hover over effect in these menus.
2) see below for step to reproduce this bug:
- click on Options to open the menu
- move the mouse pointer to the left, away from/off the button (note the pointer shape)
- move the mouse pointer down a few pixels, until the mouse pointer changes again and note that menu, which opens at the left, as if I clicked on the user name "Ed").

Note: both reproduced with: Safari, Mozilla Firefox and SeaMonkey

p.s. You are using Drupal now?

I hope this helps you to improve things :(

Ed

Ed

Old skool Mac user

• Administrators
  • 803 posts
@bofors - thanks for both of those reports, the Google issue appears to be that our search isn't returning results from the old forum subdomain

@Master Chief - I don't understand, nor can I reproduce the error re the mouse cursor - are you able to elaborate or even take screenshots at all please? And no, we're not using Drupal, the forum is still powered by Invision but the News is now run from WordPress :thumbsup_anim:

~pcwiz

~pcwiz

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Retired
  • 5,900 posts
Since there is no chance of reverting back, here is some suggestions to at least make it civilized:

1) The white background on the ads is hideous, change it
2) You need a background, the plain black is depressing
3) Completely remove the OSx86 Database until its actual ready and once you've sorted it out with OSx86 Library
4) Completely take out the ads from people's posts, whether they are guests or not. I'm sure you could stick them somewhere else

And here is my #1 bugger of the year:

The WordPress news system. Problems?

1) Attached images and files DO NOT show up on the front page
2) There's a delay between posting and it appearing on the front page news
3) The WP CP does not work, going to www.insanelymac.com/wp-admin redirects me to the insanelymac home page
4) Suhail's twitter script does not work anymore

And probably more that I haven't found yet :thumbsup_anim:

Master Chief

Master Chief

Just Chief

• Members
  • 1,176 posts

@Master Chief - I don't understand, nor can I reproduce the error re the mouse cursor - are you able to elaborate or even take screenshots at all please?

I've fixed the steps to reproduce in my previous post - the problem is your JavaScript onmouseover handler which seem to trigger the menu at the left, the one that should open when you click on the username. The catch is to first open the Options menu, then to move to the left and down to trigger/open that other menu. Which shouldn't open.

ameris_cyning

ameris_cyning

I don't know what to write here

• Donators
  • 956 posts
  • Interests:OSx86, female anatomy, electronic music, Clover EFI
Pretty spiffy, IMO.

I like.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy