Feedback on new website!

Ed

87 posts in this topic

@SticMAC, thanks for the feedback - we've moved that 2nd ad right down to the bottom so we're not taking up quite so much screen real estate up the top

Ed. you would probably be a lot better off by moving the ads from the top and bottom to the sides of the page. As it stands now, the ads at the top and bottom are barely visible and lost in the clutter.

I also think you should consider finding some tech forum websites which people generally agree do advertising right to use as models. Unfortunately, I do not have any good suggestions, but AppleInsider is not bad and I am sure the community has some favorites.

EDIT: I see the "edit" function is now working, great!

A few more points....

Safari Padding Issues

Also, there are still some issues with spacing of the topic / forum names in Safari.

Safari:

2vteds4.png

Firefox:

1jufk7.png

Firefox looks a lot better.

Alignment of Page numbers & Add Reply / New Topic Buttons

The page numbers and add reply / new topic buttons should be aligned to the middle of the space they occupy, and I also think they should be have some padding from the outer edge, so that they line up horizontally with the blue boxes above / below

qx6n7s.png

@Hara Taiki, I removed your IP. Sorry about that

@MoC: We do what we must... because we can. But there's no sense crying over every mistake... You just keep on trying till you run out of cake. (I love Portal!)

Epic failure.

The result of amateur designers: this mess.

I'm still confused why this was released abruptly. Wasn't there cross-browser, cross-platform QA performed before the theme was hastily implemented?

(I already know the answer is most likely "no," but perhaps maybe "why" would be a better form of the question.)

Here is some more feedback... (I am assuming the Google search field at the top of the site is now new, but I am not sure).

I was searching for a BadAxe1 RAID installatoin note thread I created months ago...

Compare what the Google search field at the top of the site returns for "bofors + badaxe + vanilla + raid":

- http://www.insanelymac.com/search.php?cx=0...anilla+%2B+raid

(2 results, neither is what I was looking for.)

With direct use of Google with "site:insanelymac.com bofors + badaxe + vanilla + raid"

- http://www.google.com/search?client=safari...-8&oe=UTF-8

(129 results, the first one is exactly what I was looking for.)

I suppose we could just blame Google here, but we are supposed on the cutting of edge of technology here.

@Master Chief, your queries have been addressed, please let me know if you've got any other feedback!

Thanks. Here are two more/other nits:

1) there's no hover over effect in these menus.

2) see below for step to reproduce this bug:

- click on Options to open the menu

- move the mouse pointer to the left, away from/off the button (note the pointer shape)

- move the mouse pointer down a few pixels, until the mouse pointer changes again and note that menu, which opens at the left, as if I clicked on the user name "Ed").

Note: both reproduced with: Safari, Mozilla Firefox and SeaMonkey

p.s. You are using Drupal now?

I hope this helps you to improve things :(

@bofors - thanks for both of those reports, the Google issue appears to be that our search isn't returning results from the old forum subdomain

@Master Chief - I don't understand, nor can I reproduce the error re the mouse cursor - are you able to elaborate or even take screenshots at all please? And no, we're not using Drupal, the forum is still powered by Invision but the News is now run from WordPress :thumbsup_anim:

Since there is no chance of reverting back, here is some suggestions to at least make it civilized:

1) The white background on the ads is hideous, change it

2) You need a background, the plain black is depressing

3) Completely remove the OSx86 Database until its actual ready and once you've sorted it out with OSx86 Library

4) Completely take out the ads from people's posts, whether they are guests or not. I'm sure you could stick them somewhere else

And here is my #1 bugger of the year:

The WordPress news system. Problems?

1) Attached images and files DO NOT show up on the front page

2) There's a delay between posting and it appearing on the front page news

3) The WP CP does not work, going to www.insanelymac.com/wp-admin redirects me to the insanelymac home page

4) Suhail's twitter script does not work anymore

And probably more that I haven't found yet :thumbsup_anim:

@Master Chief - I don't understand, nor can I reproduce the error re the mouse cursor - are you able to elaborate or even take screenshots at all please?

I've fixed the steps to reproduce in my previous post - the problem is your JavaScript onmouseover handler which seem to trigger the menu at the left, the one that should open when you click on the username. The catch is to first open the Options menu, then to move to the left and down to trigger/open that other menu. Which shouldn't open.

There's something very odd about the way it reacts to right-clicks, but I haven't pinned down what yet.

In the meantime I managed to replicate the "desync" problem I had earlier: click "view new posts", click the second topic, either to read the first or last post therein. have a quick read, click "view new posts" again, and the topic will not be marked as read.

I just did that 3 times in a row, same each time.

Ok even odder: I clicked "view new posts" in quick succession & the posts came up in a different order each time, without any visible changes being made to them, literally seconds apart.

@bofors - fixed the Google search issue, try it now

@pcwiz - addressing all those issues, although I'm not sure why you can't login to WP - going to test that. As for the Twitter script, it was still working, but the URL was broken - Suhail fixed this pretty much straightaway

@Master Chief - thanks for that, I see the problem now! This is an issue with the Lucidity skin, we'll see what we can do to resolve it

@Hagar - just tried to recreate those issues with View New Posts but it's working fine for me - anyone else seeing those issues?

its a very nice setup? may i ask what type of script you used to construct it? for example did u use joomla or drupal or what type of blog system did you use ? and how on earth are you able to get it so information from the forums can be dragged into the homepage... ?

@user555 - thanks for the feedback, the forum is run by Invision Power Board and the blog system is powered by WordPress. We initially started using a plug-in called Invision Bridge but we found it wasn't really up to scratch for the volume of requests and data we get on our forum, so we've applied a lot of our code to get it to work - and all without touching the code within Invision so that we can easily upgrade the forum as and when updates and security patches are available.

Let me know if you want to know anything else in more detail

hey thanks alot i really apperciate that. ;). umm well it would be kind of nice if the forum skin would or could eventually match the homepage i relize you probably have that in mind in the future perhaps and well with forum skinning it really is almost a whole new world of coding ( truly is a {censored})....

as i look closer however i see that you have fixed width and wide width and i love the ability to change the colors. that is wicked cool. one thing i would change or rethink however is probably the slogan. "mental about macs" doesn't really get me, perhaps others like it ? overall its new its nice and looking forward to seeing advancement in the future

as i look closer however i see that you have fixed width and wide width and i love the ability to change the colors. that is wicked cool. one thing i would change or rethink however is probably the slogan. "mental about macs" doesn't really get me, perhaps others like it ? overall its new its nice and looking forward to seeing advancement in the future

Thanks for bringing up this point too!

"mental about macs" surely, and this is if we were, we are "mental about hacks"!?

SticMAC