New InsanelyMac!?

123 posts in this topic

Thanks for the feedback guys, it's certainly not been our greatest deployment, but the site is now live and we're working hard and fast to rectify every issue that's been brought to our attention. We're looking forward to delivering the update to the OSx86 DB shortly, and we'll certainly be more careful and giving plenty of notice with this next release. Keep the feedback coming!

Don't you just love this, it's like saying " I hear what your saying, BUT I'm ignoring you" or " I know you're sick BUT you can't get the day off" or "I love you BUT I need some space!"

You say this BUT yet you won't change the overall look of the site!! It reminds me of Mr. Ford saying you can have it in any colour you want as long as it is in BLACK!

I feel dictatorship is alive and well, with no empathy for the needs of the community!?

SticMAC

Fifth. Agreed on the design bit, I've done many and this does look like all those analogies.

Sixth.

The problem with the DB is not that it isn't good, while it could do with some navigation and responsive-ness updates, it is the fact that you completely ripped off all the data from OSx86 Library. Could you remove all copied data? You copied a whole lot of other peoples work without permission.

@Ed, please dont try and feed me this bs about hosting costs and ad revenue. This is a very active website so you must be getting tons of page views with people hanging around on the site for a long time. the revenue made from the old theme's ads should definately be more than enough to cover hosting "costs". This is nothing but pure greed. Bad salesman

Don't you just love this, it's like saying " I hear what your saying, BUT I'm ignoring you" or " I know you're sick BUT you can't get the day off" or "I love you BUT I need some space!"

You say this BUT yet you won't change the overall look of the site!! It reminds me of Mr. Ford saying you can have it in any colour you want as long as it is in BLACK!

I feel dictatorship is alive and well, with no empathy for the needs of the community!?

SticMAC

Good point.

At first the new design struck me as modern and cool looking. I even gave the forum a try but it soon became unusable, as we have all discovered. I mean, not being able to write a response? That is just being mean, man! You should have at least told people in which new direction this site is going and what your motivations are for making the change. I mean, you don't sneak up on a gorilla to feed it his bananas, do you? Even if you do it with the best intentions.

I am all for positive thinking and what not and I support your efforts to upgrade the site. However, it was a really bad idea not to consult the community. That basically sends out the message that our opinion is worth nil to you (to add insult to injury).

At this point you really have to offer us an option to switch back to the original theme for both main site and forum.

Good luck,

- hecker

@martin15s - we acknowledge that there's an issue with the Edit function which we're currently working on, along with minor spacing/font/margin issues in the forum - is there anything else outside of this that you can be specific about so that we can quickly rectify them you?

thanks for your response - it is now responding better - will have to see how it works out with further use.......

@Ed, please dont try and feed me this bs about hosting costs and ad revenue. This is a very active website so you must be getting tons of page views with people hanging around on the site for a long time. the revenue made from the old theme's ads should definately be more than enough to cover hosting "costs". This is nothing but pure greed. Bad salesman

Yeah Kiko's right, they're making tons off of this website and they think we're stupid. This is probably one of their highest income sites. And they also have other sites that they host. +1 Kiko!

@inimicus - we'll change the chronological order of comments

@SticMAC - whilst it's impossible to please everyone, I don't feel we've completely removed every option - you can still access all your favourite old themes from the select menu in the bottom left-hand corner of the forum

@Kiko - I don't think you understand just quite what it takes to manage and look after a huge website like this?? Perhaps you'd like to help and you'll see what a task we have :)

@hecker - thanks for the constructive feedback, I like the sneaking-up-on-a-gorilla metaphor. I certainly wouldn't try that :) I don't disagree with you, and as I've conceded countless times this week, I managed it badly, but hand on heart my intentions are positive and I'm doing everything I can to put things right, not just now but in the long term. As I also mentioned above, the option to switch back to the old forum skin is still in the bottom left-hand menu of the forum when logged in (titled 'Insanely Beautiful 1.5').

@martin15s - no probs, let me know if there's anything else

@SticMAC - whilst it's impossible to please everyone, I don't feel we've completely removed every option - you can still access all your favourite old themes from the select menu in the bottom left-hand corner of the forum

Is our "favourite old themes from the select menu" going to be a permanent feature or is there a time frame for it to be removed, leaving us with no choice and back at SQUARE 1!?

Right now I have the "Insanely Beautiful 1.5" selected as default AND it goes directly to the forum:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/

So I've not seen ANY of this new Front Page {censored}, thus you are definitely not making revenue as I'm not seeing any of the advertising, my guess is that in our newly erected dictatorship, if all of us do this your advertiser will NOT be getting their money's worth!?

SticMAC

@SticMAC - how would you suggest we move the site forward? If we stay on the old theme we're forever stuck with an entirely forum-run website - forgive us for having a bit of ambition but we're looking to improve and integrate the biggest and most comprehensive pool of info about running OS X on x86 hardware; how will we achieve this with a stagnant, inefficient Wiki? We've worked real hard to get the foundations built for a platform that will let us build the best OSx86 hardware database, and then integrate it with the forum - seriously, think out of the box with me for a second.

Furthermore, if we're so dictatorial, why have we left you guys with the previous themes? We've not deleted one theme from the forum, and we have zero intention of changing this - some of you guys have made it abundantly clear that you want to keep the previous theme, and hey, that's kool, we're not going to remove it - chill :censored2:

@ed, perhaps i do know what it takes to manage high traffic sites, i manage over 100 traffic farms and a couple of larger heavy traffic sites. there isnt much to it. maybe you are doing it wrong?

@Hara Taiki - lol, thanks, so that's where I've been going wrong with my re-install.

@Kiko - awesome, now that you're posting again on the forum, maybe we can benefit from your experience? I'd be interested to know which sites you work with and what are your responsibilities?

My 2 cents

I actually enjoy the new look. It blends well with what OS X looks like. Plus, for the first time in months, it actually looks like the admin team is doing something besides removing signatures and banning people.

But, this message is not just praise.

I have noticed in the past few days that less people stay on the site. A month ago, this site averaged 2000 people an hour, whereas now, I am seeing averages of 1000 people. That is not uncommon for an unpopular redesign. A similar thing happened to Fark.com in 2007, where the admins redesigned their site and a massive majority of the community hated it. Fark went from being in the 500th-ish site on the Internet to the 6000thish site within two months, and it has not gotten any better since. Many Farkers made their own sites like it and the community had a split.

I like the new design, but if the community in general hates it, then you will lose the community.

Its a shame they didn't do more beta testing for the theme (or administrate the site properly for that matter).

After coming back after taking a break for a while I was surprised with new theme. Had it been executed properly instead of thrown on before being thoroughly beta-tested, I wouldn't see too much of a problem. But the combination of rushing in a "new" look and a ton more ads (and pop-ups) has taken away the whole comminuty feel about it. Instead of being warm and welcoming, it has become cold and commercial. It's about as bad as television.

Revert to the old style until the beta is tested. Then switch to the new style after EVERYTHING is verified to work. I think everyone could be happy with that compromise. Oh, and get rid of the giant ads and pop-ups. Stick with adsense, or less intrusive and annoying ads. I know that members don't see the ads, however, a ton of ads to a potential member is not appealing.... That will significantly hinder your future growth.

Hi Ed

Love the new design but, lots of thread links in the forum I had bookmark before the re-design now get re-directed to the homepage. Also links from google search, they aren't working anymore.

I have this problem too, just add forum in between the insanelymac.com/ and /?showtopic= so it would look like insanelymac.com/forum/?showtopic=

then it should work.

I have fixed this for you...

any URL like:

/?showtopic....

/forum/?showtopic....

/?showforum....

/forum/?showforum....

Should now work...

Let me know if you spot any other urls in your bookmarks you would like to start working again.

Thanks