So I was playing with some macs today (Store)

1 post in this topic

OK, so the first thing I do is play with a dual core powerbook ($2000 US dollars)…

After loading iDVD, one of the moste demanding without bring xbench (LOL), I get an error…time to move on.

I then played and timed a G4 iMAC 1.6? vs G5 dual…..the G4 loaded the idvd and garage band faster……the same seemed to be the case with the older spec machines of the mac mini’s even though they are supposed to be universal binary!

Another thing I noticed is tha my AMD 64 crunches FPU Audio/Rendering really well, running HACKnTOSH brings the system to a halt – xbench is far under par compared to the BASE of a dual G5 PPC whereas if a Nuendo/Cubase SX running on OSX vs AMD and XP, mine would slap it silly, I wonder how much the lack of SSE3 plays a role!

Anyway, can someone point to some links and benchmarks? Not just mac benchmarks but audio/video mac vs amd vs intel?

I ask as it seemed the older G4’s sometimes seemed faster, in addition, I am wondering what in terms of performance a macmini per se would at 1.8 dual be compared to RENDERING wise to a AMD64 @ 2.7ghz? (Rendering is HARD FPU), as well, I am also wondering what a pimped out dGMA950/900 On-board INTEL and SSE3 hackinTOSH would fare compared to a off the shelf min, iMAC (Dual core) etc.

Have these tests been done?

Thanks!