WUSB54GC: How to use new official driver & utility

Warstrong

299 posts in this topic

warstrong yes i see the device id named version2-2 in the kext..

but my wireless adapter still not working..

i take some photos maybe they may help you..

Yeah, I see that it's in fact a ralink chipset (R logo) but I still don't know what the problem is. Wifi in OSX can be weird with these cards. Do other USB devices work?

i had this working perfectly under 10.5.7. Last night i updated to 10.5.8 and all of a sudden its stopped working, ive tried installing the kexts again but it still dont work, the usbwirelessutility says no device!

please help

I second Playfully's question of how you installed the update. I looked around and on Apple there's this Apple Discussions thread going on about official Airport cards not working right:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?t...89&tstart=0

Someone suggests that you delete the profile for the network card in System Preferences, hit apply, then add it back and hit apply. Also suggested:

Repair permissions

Install the 10.5.8 combo update

Open Terminal and type in "Sudo Periodic Daily Weekly Monthly" and that will clear caches.

Good luck.

I resurrected a non booting Apple Powerbook Aluminum 1.5 ghz my friend spilled beer on. Don't know how long it sat around as it was really oxidized but got it for free. I took the whole thing apart using info from ifixit.com and cleaned the logic board with distilled water (what a pain that was) and replaced the hd. After cleaning, drying and reassembling I ended up with a Powerbook that has some slight blotches at the bottom of the screen ( no problem since it's just the dock there), a couple dead keys on the keyboard (again no problem with on screen keyboard) and a non functional airport but otherwise everything else works.

Anyway, thanks so much for this info as I just happened to have a WUSB54GC on hand. I followed the info here and everything worked like a charm on a fresh install of leopard 10.5. thus solving the only real problem I had. I am somewhat reluctant to do the combined update to 10.5.8 as it may break the driver. If anyone is running 10.5.8 and could let me know the status I would greatly appreciate.

Thanks again - you guys are all A+

Thund3r

Apple ][ forever :-)

I have a powermac G5 and also a powerbook G4. I have tried the complete package on both with cisco linksys USB wireless adapter WUSB54GC version 3 and in both cases, I end up with the same problem that after I start the Wireless utility and insert the usb, it reports the following error:

"The system estension "/System/Library/Extensions/RT2870USBWirelessDriver.kext" was installed improperly and cannot be used. Please try reinstalling it or contact the product's vendor for an update."

Appreciate if you could help me figure out the problem. In my system profiler, I see the following for the USB:

802.11g WLAN:

Version: 1.01

Bus Power: 500

Speed: Upto 480Mbps

Manufacturer: Ralink

Product ID: 0x0077

Serial Number: 1.0

Vendor ID: 0x1737

Thanks,

Sudarsan.

I have a powermac G5 and also a powerbook G4. I have tried the complete package on both with cisco linksys USB wireless adapter WUSB54GC version 3 and in both cases, I end up with the same problem that after I start the Wireless utility and insert the usb, it reports the following error:

"The system estension "/System/Library/Extensions/RT2870USBWirelessDriver.kext" was installed improperly and cannot be used. Please try reinstalling it or contact the product's vendor for an update."

Appreciate if you could help me figure out the problem. In my system profiler, I see the following for the USB:

802.11g WLAN:

Version: 1.01

Bus Power: 500

Speed: Upto 480Mbps

Manufacturer: Ralink

Product ID: 0x0077

Serial Number: 1.0

Thanks,

Sudarsan.

Did you read the rest of my post? ;)

The complete package had issues for many, if not all, people. I screwed up somewhere when I made the package. Anyway, you can just use the zip in the second paragraph and download something to install the kexts (kextinstaller b7, OSX86Tools, etc.) and move the .app files to the Applications folder.

It seems like the kext installer and osx86tools are for intel based mac. Is there one for ppc mac? I tried using kextload from the terminal, but that fails. When I issued "kextload -t <path>/RT73USBWirelessDriver.kext", it returns the following errors:

Validation failures

{

"Kext has a kernel dependency prior to version 6.0 and CFBundleVersion does not match executable's MODULE_VERSION" = true

}

Authentication failures

{

"File owner/permissions are incorrect"

Not sure what permissions I need to look for. Before doing kextload I did do a "sudo -s". So I did have root privilege.

Appreciate any ideas.

Thanks,

Sudarsan.

Did you read the rest of my post? ;)

The complete package had issues for many, if not all, people. I screwed up somewhere when I made the package. Anyway, you can just use the zip in the second paragraph and download something to install the kexts (kextinstaller b7, OSX86Tools, etc.) and move the .app files to the Applications folder.

It seems like the kext installer and osx86tools are for intel based mac. Is there one for ppc mac? I tried using kextload from the terminal, but that fails. When I issued "kextload -t <path>/RT73USBWirelessDriver.kext", it returns the following errors:

Validation failures

{

"Kext has a kernel dependency prior to version 6.0 and CFBundleVersion does not match executable's MODULE_VERSION" = true

}

Authentication failures

{

"File owner/permissions are incorrect"

Not sure what permissions I need to look for. Before doing kextload I did do a "sudo -s". So I did have root privilege.

Appreciate any ideas.

Thanks,

Sudarsan.

Try kexthelper b7. I'll try looking for more kext installers if that isn't PPC-compatible.

Thanks. kexthelper is also x86. But I finally got it to work! I used kextload from terminal. But I had to change the permission on the "contents" of the two kext extracted from the zip to system:wheel before loading using kextload. As soon as I did that it worked beautifully. Thank you for all your help.

Sudarsan.

Try kexthelper b7. I'll try looking for more kext installers if that isn't PPC-compatible.

I got too happy too soon. While it does work, the problem is that for some reason after a reboot, the wireless utility fails to detect the usb adapter(No Device!!). I have to then do a kextload again and it works. But obviously I don't want to be doing kextload every time I boot my machine and even worse if my wife or kids want to use the computer for surfing. Any ideas what I could be doing wrong?

Thanks,

Sudarsan.

Thanks. kexthelper is also x86. But I finally got it to work! I used kextload from terminal. But I had to change the permission on the "contents" of the two kext extracted from the zip to system:wheel before loading using kextload. As soon as I did that it worked beautifully. Thank you for all your help.

Sudarsan.

I have tried kextload and reboot many times now and each time after a kextload things work. Then I reboot and getting stuck with "No Device" on the wireless utility and again I have to kextload. Does anybody have any clues on why the kextload does not stick during a reboot and I have to redo it?

Thanks,

Sudarsan.

Sudarsan.

I got too happy too soon. While it does work, the problem is that for some reason after a reboot, the wireless utility fails to detect the usb adapter(No Device!!). I have to then do a kextload again and it works. But obviously I don't want to be doing kextload every time I boot my machine and even worse if my wife or kids want to use the computer for surfing. Any ideas what I could be doing wrong?

Thanks,

Sudarsan.

I have tried kextload and reboot many times now and each time after a kextload things work. Then I reboot and getting stuck with "No Device" on the wireless utility and again I have to kextload. Does anybody have any clues on why the kextload does not stick during a reboot and I have to redo it?

Thanks,

Sudarsan.

• - Put kext in /System/Library/Extensions/
  • - Open Terminal and set right permissions on kext
    sudo chmod -R 755 nameof.kext

and

sudo chown -R  root:wheel nameof.kext

and

sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions

• - Delete extensions.mkext in /System/Library/
  • - Repair permissions with Disk Utility and reboot

Hopefully that will fix it... I think that's all you have to do, but I'm not sure it's right. If just putting the name of the .kext doesn't work, you can just drag the file into terminal and it'll include its location.

Thanks a lot! This works and the utility detects the presence of my USB after reboot everytime. The one question I had was, does this tool provide a way to save the network selection and password of choice so that as soon as I launch the wireless utility it will choose the one that I want instead of me having to select every time and enter a password? I tried adding a profile with this information and then if I click "activate" it does not seem to do anything. All I see is a red check mark against the profile but it is not connected. I have to go to "site survey" and select a network and "connect". Is this the expected behavior or am I not using the tool correctly?

Regards,

Sudarsan.

Hopefully that will fix it... I think that's all you have to do, but I'm not sure it's right. If just putting the name of the .kext doesn't work, you can just drag the file into terminal and it'll include its location.

Thanks a lot! This works and the utility detects the presence of my USB after reboot everytime. The one question I had was, does this tool provide a way to save the network selection and password of choice so that as soon as I launch the wireless utility it will choose the one that I want instead of me having to select every time and enter a password? I tried adding a profile with this information and then if I click "activate" it does not seem to do anything. All I see is a red check mark against the profile but it is not connected. I have to go to "site survey" and select a network and "connect". Is this the expected behavior or am I not using the tool correctly?

Regards,

Sudarsan.

I think I had to go into System Preferences to get mine to turn green... will post pics soon.

So... I got this to work with my LinkSys, however, when I plug it in, it's almost as if it disables the other 2 USB ports. Anytime I use the WiFi adapter, I can't plug anything else into the other USB ports. The system won't even read anything else.

As a result of this, I've resorted mostly to using ethernet so I can use my USB mouse and my Serato Scratch Live interface.

If anyone has had this happen, please let me know a fix. It's very important to me and my career. Thank you in advance.

So... I got this to work with my LinkSys, however, when I plug it in, it's almost as if it disables the other 2 USB ports. Anytime I use the WiFi adapter, I can't plug anything else into the other USB ports. The system won't even read anything else.

As a result of this, I've resorted mostly to using ethernet so I can use my USB mouse and my Serato Scratch Live interface.

If anyone has had this happen, please let me know a fix. It's very important to me and my career. Thank you in advance.

I know OSX will say if there's insufficient USB power, so it's probably not that. Do you have a USB hub you could try? Preferably one with an external power source.

I know OSX will say if there's insufficient USB power, so it's probably not that. Do you have a USB hub you could try? Preferably one with an external power source.

Good idea. I'll try that tonight.

I can connect to the internet connect however I still have to unplug and plug it back in after every reboot/startup.

I did the code u mentioned above in terminal to no avail.

I'm using iatkos 1.5.7

Linksys WUSB54GC

and the RT73USBWirelessDriver.kext

3829671752_fc73691606_o.jpg

3829671624_ffba31a305_o.jpg

If you know how to fix this I'd greatly appreciate it!

:rolleyes:

I can connect to the internet connect however I still have to unplug and plug it back in after every reboot/startup.

I did the code u mentioned above in terminal to no avail.

I'm using iatkos 1.5.7

Linksys WUSB54GC

and the RT73USBWirelessDriver.kext

If you know how to fix this I'd greatly appreciate it!

:)

I think that adding the -f flag to com.apple.Boot.plist will fix the replug issues but will increase boot time by 10 seconds or so. Anyway, to do that you have should install OSX86Tools and click the "Add EFI Strings/Boot Flag" button. After that, just put "-f" (without the quotes) in the text field for kernel flags. For those that can't use OSX86Tools, you have to browse to /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/ and copy "com.apple.Boot.plist" to the desktop. Then you open the desktop version with TextEdit and underneath the "Kernel Flags" key there's a string that is probably empty. Just add -f to it so it looks like this:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-f</string>

Then save that to the desktop and delete the original version of "com.apple.boot.plist". Now you can just drag the desktop version of the file to replace the original. It'll prompt you for a password and then you can shut down.

I'm using a Compaq V3901TU. with Intel 3945 wifi, but it doesn't work. Then I tried my old WUSB54GC and it works perfectly.

IPC OSX 10.5.6 universal

I used the KEXT Helper to install the kext.

I have the grey wifi stick which I bought last July 2008. Im not sure of the version.

I can now go online wirelessly. Thanks for this kext!

Hi! I have a problem: I'm trying to follow your instruction and put into the terminal the right permission for run the application, but I'm not used to work with the terminal...

I have a powerbook g4, so I can't use kexthelper or osx86tools, can you explain me the EXACTLY ALL the steps that I have to do?

I copy the text files in Extensions and then

If I write on the terminal this :sudo chown -R 755 RT2870USBWirelessDriver.kext

(I think it is what I'm suppose to do...)

it says:

chown: RT2870USBWirelessDriver.kext: No such file or directory

:D

thanks for help,

shion

Hi! I have a problem: I'm trying to follow your instruction and put into the terminal the right permission for run the application, but I'm not used to work with the terminal...

I have a powerbook g4, so I can't use kexthelper or osx86tools, can you explain me the EXACTLY ALL the steps that I have to do?

I copy the text files in Extensions and then

If I write on the terminal this :sudo chown -R 755 RT2870USBWirelessDriver.kext

(I think it is what I'm suppose to do...)

it says:

chown: RT2870USBWirelessDriver.kext: No such file or directory

^_^

thanks for help,

shion

Ahhh, you have to specify where the RT2870USBWirelessDriver.kext is located on the hard drive or else it just knows what file it's supposed to look for but not where it is located. To tell it where the file is, you can do one of two things:

1. Simply open up a finder window, locate the kext, and drag it where you would have typed out "RT2870USBWirelessDriver.kext. As you can probably imagine, this tells the Terminal the exact file and ensures that there won't be any mix-ups, assuming you know how to use the Finder :)

2. Type in

cd /System/Library/Extensions/

(if it's in the official extensions folder) or

cd /Users/WhateverYourUsernameIs/Desktop/

(if it's on your desktop).

"cd" stands for Change Directory and it tells the Terminal what folder to look in for specified files. I personally find this to be tedious and don't use it unless it's absolutely necessary.

Warstrong:

First, thanks for doing all the work you have done in this thread. I have read all the info posted so far and none of it seems to reply. I just bought this adapter for my wife's macbook with an Intel processor. This system is running 10.4.11. I know a lot about PCs but am somewhat Mac deficient since for the most part they just plain work. One difference I have noted between my situation and others posting is it seems to be a different chipset, potentially. From system profiler:

Version: 0.01

Bus Power (mA): 500

Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec

Manufacturer: Linksysm

Product ID: 0x0075

Serial Number: 00

So it lists the manufacturer as Linksysm (m?!) instead of Ralink, so I'm not sure where to go from here. I did follow the steps in the original post, and ran the first package, then installed the kexts from the second package using kexthelper b7, and I even tried to manual install directions for terminal when those did not work. I am wondering at this point if it is an issue with this specific build not being listed in the info.plist, but I am unfamiliar with how to correct that if that is the case.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated! If it matters, the device is listed as "ver .2" on the back and does have the Ralink (stylized R) icon.

Warstrong:

First, thanks for doing all the work you have done in this thread. I have read all the info posted so far and none of it seems to reply. I just bought this adapter for my wife's macbook with an Intel processor. This system is running 10.4.11. I know a lot about PCs but am somewhat Mac deficient since for the most part they just plain work. One difference I have noted between my situation and others posting is it seems to be a different chipset, potentially. From system profiler:

Version: 0.01

Bus Power (mA): 500

Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec

Manufacturer: Linksysm

Product ID: 0x0075

Serial Number: 00

So it lists the manufacturer as Linksysm (m?!) instead of Ralink, so I'm not sure where to go from here. I did follow the steps in the original post, and ran the first package, then installed the kexts from the second package using kexthelper b7, and I even tried to manual install directions for terminal when those did not work. I am wondering at this point if it is an issue with this specific build not being listed in the info.plist, but I am unfamiliar with how to correct that if that is the case.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated! If it matters, the device is listed as "ver .2" on the back and does have the Ralink (stylized R) icon.

Okay, 1737 is indeed the Vendor ID for either Linksys or Ralink, I'm not sure. I'm just going to upload a version with yours included, will be available in a couple minutes :thumbsup_anim: