WUSB54GC: How to use new official driver & utility

Warstrong

299 posts in this topic

"Tried dragging the extension directly into the extensions folder"

That tells me you just used Finder to install the kext. That's not how you install kexts. There are ways to do it in Terminal, but the easiest way is with KextHelper. Just install KextHelper and use it to install the kexts.

It says "You cannot open the application "Kext Helper B7" its not supported on this system"

UGH!!!

It says "You cannot open the application "Kext Helper B7" its not supported on this system"

UGH!!!

Open a terminal window (in Applications/Utilities).

Type the following exactly as written. Only replace the <> fields with the correct entries (enter your password when asked):

sudo cp -R <drag first kext here (doesn't matter which one)>

cd /System/Library/Extensions

sudo chown -R root:wheel ./nameof.kext

sudo chmod -R 755 ./nameof.kext

sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

quit (or exit, I forget)

Open a new Terminal window

sudo cp -R <drag second kext here>

quit (or exit, I forget)

Hopefully this works... It's been a long time since I've entered this manually and I had to use another post on this site.

Open a terminal window (in Applications/Utilities).

Type the following exactly as written. Only replace the <> fields with the correct entries (enter your password when asked):

sudo cp -R <drag first kext here (doesn't matter which one)>

quit (or exit, I forget)

Open a new Terminal window

sudo cp -R <drag second kext here>

quit (or exit, I forget)

Hopefully this works... It's been a long time since I've entered this manually and I had to use another post on this site.

Do I type all that in on one line before hitting enter?

And do I keep the < & > and enter the kext file names in between?

Not having much luck here :P

Take a look at the attached file...

Hahaha, sorry man. I should have said to not include the angle brackets. For example, you should have done this for the first line:

sudo cp -R AndDragTheKextHereUsingAFinderWindow.kext

The angle brackets indicate a new line with the terminal, which is why you can't use them with the name of a file. If you just give it the NAME of a kext it doesn't know where it is on the hard drive, so you must give the full address of it. The easiest way to do this is by using the Finder to drag the kext where you would type that. I also notice you didn't put a space in between CD (change directory) and the location of the Extensions folder. Use copy and paste to avoid further typos. :)

Hahaha, sorry man. I should have said to not include the angle brackets. For example, you should have done this for the first line:

sudo cp -R AndDragTheKextHereUsingAFinderWindow.kext

The angle brackets indicate a new line with the terminal, which is why you can't use them with the name of a file. If you just give it the NAME of a kext it doesn't know where it is on the hard drive, so you must give the full address of it. The easiest way to do this is by using the Finder to drag the kext where you would type that. I also notice you didn't put a space in between CD (change directory) and the location of the Extensions folder. Use copy and paste to avoid further typos. :)

The first worked fine but this one i am getting an error... do have any idea why?

post-461260-1248408026_thumb.png

The first worked fine but this one i am getting an error... do have any idea why?

Sorry for the late reply, I thought I had hit reply...

It should be fine without removing Extensions.mkext. I would look in /System/Library/ with Finder to double check, but it looks like it just isn't there. You can probably just skip that line and not worry if the one after it doesn't work either.

Thanks, Warstrong,

Your installer worked for my WUSB54GC V3, the black USB stick, plugged into a Dell Latitude D630 running iATKOS v7 10.5.7. Bought the WUSB54GC at Target. Had to replug it after installation to enable.

Thanks for a rather crucial patch for us Dell Latitude D630 users. I tried in vain for several days to get the BCM5755M built-in Ethernet or the Intel 3945 wireless working without success. The WUSB54GC finally got me networked.

--

jchen

download links are missing for me...anyone else having this problem?

yeah, downloads on this site aren't working now for some reason. I'm sure they'll be back up in a matter of hours. In the mean time, this can be downloaded 10 times:

http://rapidshare.com/files/261469322/WUSB..._Kexts.zip.html

It's the second file in the OP, which should work for everyone. Can only be downloaded 10 times though. I didn't realize that's Rapidshare's policy now, so just PM me if another mirror is needed.

yeah, downloads on this site aren't working now for some reason. I'm sure they'll be back up in a matter of hours. In the mean time, this can be downloaded 10 times:

http://rapidshare.com/files/261469322/WUSB..._Kexts.zip.html

It's the second file in the OP, which should work for everyone. Can only be downloaded 10 times though. I didn't realize that's Rapidshare's policy now, so just PM me if another mirror is needed.

thanks a bunch but the device still isnt recgonized . i have the black v3 stick. instaleld ktexts just fine, rebooted, no device. i tried to replace thea awakeaui file and it said i couldnt because it was already in use. yet i couldnt find it running.

ideas?

thanks a bunch but the device still isnt recgonized . i have the black v3 stick. instaleld ktexts just fine, rebooted, no device. i tried to replace thea awakeaui file and it said i couldnt because it was already in use. yet i couldnt find it running.

ideas?

You have the USBWirelessUtility running, right? Did you try unplugging and plugging back in? Different USB Ports? Are other USB devices working perfectly? That AwakeRalinkUI file doesn't run in the dock and it doesn't have a Graphical UI to go along with it, unless that's what the main app does. Not really sure about that UI app.

You have the USBWirelessUtility running, right? Did you try unplugging and plugging back in? Different USB Ports? Are other USB devices working perfectly? That AwakeRalinkUI file doesn't run in the dock and it doesn't have a Graphical UI to go along with it, unless that's what the main app does. Not really sure about that UI app.

running 10.4.10 tiger and i tried the different methods of usb dongles. it gets recgonized in the usb section in the more info...

when i use the app you provided it doesnt open, the utility manager, i used a different download but same app..

should i provide any info?

hello warstrong!

the WUSB54g run with the RT2500 chip right? i have the WMP54G (pci wireless card) running with the same chip. can you make someting please? i heard that AnV made something but nobody reply in his topic, and there is no links dor a file to download. please, save me if you can!

Can't make any guarantees but I will try. :)

i tried all of the methods but i cant work my wusb54gc

it still says No Device!!

i think the problem is my product id..

i cant found a kext which contains my product id.

RTL8187B_WLAN_Adapter:

Version: 2.00

Bus Power (mA): 500

Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec

Manufacturer: Manufacturer_Realtek

Product ID: 0x0073

Serial Number: 00e04c000001

Vendor ID: 0x1737

RTL8187B_WLAN_Adapter:

but it's a realtek driver for realtek devices... i'm not sure it will work...

RTL8187B_WLAN_Adapter:

Yeah, I never knew that the 0073/1737 device was Realtek and not Ralink, but I think they might be the same (hard to tell because of RalinkTech and RealTek). Anyway, it's definitely in the RT2870 kext that's part of the "Apps and Kexts.zip" in the OP. If you don't believe me just open up the RT2870 kext and open up info.plist. The entry for your device is titled "WUSB54GC Version 2-2". Maybe this is a Realtek device and the people with this are the people who can't get theirs to work. Please post back with results, ovi.

i had this working perfectly under 10.5.7. Last night i updated to 10.5.8 and all of a sudden its stopped working, ive tried installing the kexts again but it still dont work, the usbwirelessutility says no device!

please help

i had this working perfectly under 10.5.7. Last night i updated to 10.5.8 and all of a sudden its stopped working, ive tried installing the kexts again but it still dont work, the usbwirelessutility says no device!

please help

I don't know what to tell you. Ralink's official driver might not work either (with a supported card) under 10.5.8. Check if other USB devices are working fully. If it's really broken under 10.5.8, I wouldn't expect Ralink to update very quickly. I honestly can't imagine that an incremental update broke support of a driver, so I think it's probably your system. Try repairing permissions.

Yeah, I never knew that the 0073/1737 device was Realtek and not Ralink, but I think they might be the same (hard to tell because of RalinkTech and RealTek). Anyway, it's definitely in the RT2870 kext that's part of the "Apps and Kexts.zip" in the OP. If you don't believe me just open up the RT2870 kext and open up info.plist. The entry for your device is titled "WUSB54GC Version 2-2". Maybe this is a Realtek device and the people with this are the people who can't get theirs to work. Please post back with results, ovi.

warstrong yes i see the device id named version2-2 in the kext..

but my wireless adapter still not working..

i take some photos maybe they may help you..

post-105753-1249579331_thumb.jpg

post-105753-1249579345_thumb.jpg

post-105753-1249579361_thumb.jpg