WUSB54GC: How to use new official driver & utility

Warstrong

299 posts in this topic

haha, yeah the size is an inconvenience but it does (or did) come with an extension cable. If your cable seems cheap and the adapter doesn't fit in like it should I recommend staying away from the cable... seems like Linksys cheaped out and switched to low quality cables that don't fit right.

haha, yeah the size is an inconvenience but it does (or did) come with an extension cable. If your cable seems cheap and the adapter doesn't fit in like it should I recommend staying away from the cable... seems like Linksys cheaped out and switched to low quality cables that don't fit right.

Thanks for the advice :hysterical:, but I got a high quality extend cable in the box (didnt notice it at start :hysterical: )

Thanks to your post my internet works now on my notebook!

Followed all your steps and used the modified .zip!!!

Thanks man!

BTW: This is written from my new Acer Aspire One with iatkos 5i, manually updated to 10.5.6 with voodoo kernel :hysterical:. The Osx86 runs faster on my notebook than windows does ;-(

(both good and kinda sucky cuz I run my games in the windows)

Anyway sorry for the off topic! :hysterical: Just wanted everyone who visit this topic to know that it works with 10.5.6 :hysterical:

Thanks for the advice :( , but I got a high quality extend cable in the box (didnt notice it at start :P )

Thanks to your post my internet works now on my notebook!

Followed all your steps and used the modified .zip!!!

Thanks man!

BTW: This is written from my new Acer Aspire One with iatkos 5i, manually updated to 10.5.6 with voodoo kernel ;) . The Osx86 runs faster on my notebook than windows does ;-(

(both good and kinda sucky cuz I run my games in the windows)

Anyway sorry for the off topic! :D Just wanted everyone who visit this topic to know that it works with 10.5.6 :D

Great news, thanks for posting :)

Just wanted to let you know this worked for me as well on a P5L-MX mobo and an iPC 10.5.6 distro.

After installing the v3 package, I still had to manually add the kexts. And I have to use the -f boot string otherwise it's not recognized.

But all of those are minor issues for the relatively ease of getting this working.

Thanks!

I think I have followed install procedure as tightly as I could and it is still not working under Leopard 10.5.6

USBWirelessUtility (version 1.7.1) will not launch it just bounces in dock for a few seconds and nothing happens , it just quits without notice

I notice I only have this in S/L/E :RT2870USBWirelessDriver

Should I have another one ? If yes which one ??

Thanks for help

Rgds

Jean from France

I think I have followed install procedure as tightly as I could and it is still not working under Leopard 10.5.6

USBWirelessUtility (version 1.7.1) will not launch it just bounces in dock for a few seconds and nothing happens , it just quits without notice

I notice I only have this in S/L/E :RT2870USBWirelessDriver

Should I have another one ? If yes which one ??

Thanks for help

Rgds

Jean from France

There must be something wrong with my setup package for version 3. You don't need anything more than the RT2870 kext and of course the Ralink utility. I don't know why the current package isn't working right, but I hope to figure it out soon

<br />I just built an installer so anybody can use the WUSB54GC with their OSX computer. Seems to work perfectly. It's attached to the bottom of this post. It's all you need to download for versions 1 to 2! So versions prior to 3 just need to download the third file, the first two can be ignored.<br /><br /><font color="#FF0000">UPDATE:</font> Good news for those with version 3 of this adapter. I've made an installer for this new version. Please post if there is an issue with this installer, as it has been reported that a manual installation of kexts using the application OSX86Tools is needed, but this may not be true for everyone. Uploaded on 4/19/09. Anyone with versions prior to 3 (white adapters) should still use the original setup package.<br /><br /><font color="#FF0000"><div align="center">----------------------------------------OLD METHOD----------------------------------------------</div></font><br />After weeks of frustration with Prasys' driver and utility causing kernel panics and generally acting up under 10.5, I've found the best solution possible at this time. The basic idea is to install the official ralink stuff, but then replace the drivers with the slightly modified versions that are attached. Use OSX86Tools to install the kexts. I haven't experienced a kernel panic since I started using this driver...<br /><br />1. Download and install the driver and utility from Ralink<br /><b>2. At this point there will be the official RT73USBWirelessDriver.kext and RT2500USBWirelessDriver.kext installed. Delete them from System/Library/Extensions.</b><br />3. Download attached ZIP file<br />4. Download and launch OSX86Tools and use it to install the two kexts once they've been extracted from the ZIP file<br />5. Restart the computer<br />6. It should start the new USBWirelessUtility and detect your WUSB54GC. Search and join your network. If you connect but you still can't load a web page, check under the Network pane in System Preferences to make sure the card has been added as a network interface<br /><br />Note: If the utility says NO DEVICE!!!!!! it may just need you to replug the adapter. In this case I recommend using OSX86Tools to write a -f boot flag to com.apple.boot.plist<br /><br />Note 2: Please reply back to report success or issues.<br /><br /><u>Links</u>:<br /><br /><a href="http://www.ralinktech.com.tw/data/drivers/RTUSB%20D2870-1.2.4.0a%20UI-1.6.8.0_2008_12_04.dmg" target="_blank">Ralink's 12-04-08 release of the RT2870 drivers and utility</a><br /><br /><a href="http://######.com/osx86tools/" target="_blank">OSX86Tools Page</a><br /><br />Modified Kexts/Installer:<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Can anyone comment on how to enforce which wireless network in the area should be connected automatically?

I have my WEP encrypted network and in the area, a neighbor has an open wireless connection. When the computer is turned on, it automatically goes to the open wireless connection and I have to manually set it to my home WEP network. Thoughts?

Can anyone comment on how to enforce which wireless network in the area should be connected automatically?

I have my WEP encrypted network and in the area, a neighbor has an open wireless connection. When the computer is turned on, it automatically goes to the open wireless connection and I have to manually set it to my home WEP network. Thoughts?

in the Wireless Utility you have to go to the 'Profile' tab, then click the 'ADD' button. Type in the correct SSID (network name) and then add in the WEP key in the next tab. My instructions might be a little incorrect since I haven't used the WUSB54GC in awhile (switched to ethernet).

<br />in the Wireless Utility you have to go to the 'Profile' tab, then click the 'ADD' button. Type in the correct SSID (network name) and then add in the WEP key in the next tab. My instructions might be a little incorrect since I haven't used the WUSB54GC in awhile (switched to ethernet).<br />
<br /><br /><br />

I've done that, but it still defaults to the Open network - odd...

• 4 weeks later...
I just built an installer so anybody can use the WUSB54GC with their OSX computer. Seems to work perfectly. It's attached to the bottom of this post. It's all you need to download for versions 1 to 2! So versions prior to 3 just need to download the third file, the first two can be ignored.

UPDATE: Good news for those with version 3 of this adapter. I've made an installer for this new version. Please post if there is an issue with this installer, as it has been reported that a manual installation of kexts using the application OSX86Tools is needed, but this may not be true for everyone. Uploaded on 4/19/09. Anyone with versions prior to 3 (white adapters) should still use the original setup package.

----------------------------------------OLD METHOD----------------------------------------------

After weeks of frustration with Prasys' driver and utility causing kernel panics and generally acting up under 10.5, I've found the best solution possible at this time. The basic idea is to install the official ralink stuff, but then replace the drivers with the slightly modified versions that are attached. Use OSX86Tools to install the kexts. I haven't experienced a kernel panic since I started using this driver...

1. Download and install the driver and utility from Ralink

2. At this point there will be the official RT73USBWirelessDriver.kext and RT2500USBWirelessDriver.kext installed. Delete them from System/Library/Extensions.

3. Download attached ZIP file

4. Download and launch OSX86Tools and use it to install the two kexts once they've been extracted from the ZIP file

5. Restart the computer

6. It should start the new USBWirelessUtility and detect your WUSB54GC. Search and join your network. If you connect but you still can't load a web page, check under the Network pane in System Preferences to make sure the card has been added as a network interface

Note: If the utility says NO DEVICE!!!!!! it may just need you to replug the adapter. In this case I recommend using OSX86Tools to write a -f boot flag to com.apple.boot.plist

Note 2: Please reply back to report success or issues.

Links:

Ralink's 12-04-08 release of the RT2870 drivers and utility

OSX86Tools Page

Modified Kexts/Installer:

Hi Warstrong

I've tried my WUSB54GC v2 to get work but no luck.

That dongle reports as to be RTL8187B WLAN (PID: 0x0073, VID: 0x1737). I've tried the original driver from Realtek site, adding support for Linksys PID&VID to plist, no luck.

Would you like to help me to get my WUSB54GC v2 working?

Thanks

Hi Warstrong

I've tried my WUSB54GC v2 to get work but no luck.

That dongle reports as to be RTL8187B WLAN (PID: 0x0073, VID: 0x1737). I've tried the original driver from Realtek site, adding support for Linksys PID&VID to plist, no luck.

Would you like to help me to get my WUSB54GC v2 working?

Thanks

I'm sorry, do you have version 2.0 or 3.0? I think versions 1 and 2 are white and version 3 is black... you should go to About This Mac, click on 'More Info...', then under 'Contents' click 'USB'. The list to the right is all the USB devices connected to your computer. You need to click on the device that comes up when you plug in your adapter. Whatever it says next to Product ID and Vendor ID you need to post here and I'll make sure that it gets added if it's not already there.

First, thank you very much for assembling this.

I am also unable to get this to work. It is mentioned repeatedly that versions 1 and 2 are white, while version 3 is black? My stick is black, though I am sure I have version 2. (edit: actually, the back of the stick says version 3 :/)

Here's some info dumped from the System Profiler:

Product ID: 0x62c0

Vendor ID: 0x0c45

Version 2.10

Serial Number: SN0001

the rest seems irrelevant but I can post it if necessary.

None of the packages work for me. I am on iDeneb 10.5.6. No kernel panics--I just get the dreaded No Device!! no matter how many times I reboot/re-plug the stick.

First, thank you very much for assembling this.

I am also unable to get this to work. It is mentioned repeatedly that versions 1 and 2 are white, while version 3 is black? My stick is black, though I am sure I have version 2. (edit: actually, the back of the stick says version 3 :/)

Here's some info dumped from the System Profiler:

Product ID: 0x62c0

Vendor ID: 0x0c45

Version 2.10

Serial Number: SN0001

the rest seems irrelevant but I can post it if necessary.

None of the packages work for me. I am on iDeneb 10.5.6. No kernel panics--I just get the dreaded No Device!! no matter how many times I reboot/re-plug the stick.

How's this work? Trash the RT2870 kext in S/L/E now, and use OSX86 Tools to install this kext. Looks like I just had the wrong VID and PID before. Good luck!

RT2870USBWirelessDriver.kext.zip

I'm sorry to say that after I posted the above, I tried the earlier suggestion of then installing Ralink's drivers (after the system complains of a bad kext), and that absolutely works.

Should I throw out the 2870 kext that I have and use your attached, to test? It sounds like you've figured out the problem.

BTW, my device is definitely version 3, as that's the installer I used successfully.

I'm sorry, do you have version 2.0 or 3.0?

I think versions 1 and 2 are white and version 3 is black... you should go to About This Mac, click on 'More Info...', then under 'Contents' click 'USB'. The list to the right is all the USB devices connected to your computer. You need to click on the device that comes up when you plug in your adapter. Whatever it says next to Product ID and Vendor ID you need to post here and I'll make sure that it gets added if it's not already there.

Data from dongle sticker: LINKSYS CISCO WUSB54GC v2 (it's gray)

From Profiler:

Product ID:0x0073

Vendor ID: 0x1737

Version: 2.00

From Windows:

USB\VID_1737&PID_0073&REV_0200

USB\VID_1737&PID_0073

Recognized as RTL8187B_WLAN_Adapter

How's this work? Trash the RT2870 kext in S/L/E now, and use OSX86 Tools to install this kext. Looks like I just had the wrong VID and PID before. Good luck!

Nope, that didn't do it either.

I am new to the forum and couldn't have started with a better topic. I have the original usb dongle and your first setup zip file worked perfectly. I had tried many different methods, but none of them worked. This was very easy! Thanks!

First, thanks for your efforts at putting this together, Warstrong.

I just came home from the store with this thing the guy said I could use to get my Macbook (10.5.6), G4 Power Mac (10.4.11) and Brother 3-in-1 talking to each other. The printer is connected to the G4 via USB. I use a Cisco N router for the Macbook. Basically all I want to do is be able to print from my Macbook via Airport. Getting the G4 and the Macbook on the network together would be a perk though.

I tried running the version three setup, but got the "no device" message.

My WUSB54GC is black, and the system profiler says this about it:

802.11 g WLAN:

Version: 1.01

Bus Power (mA): 500

Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec

Manufacturer: Ralink

Product ID: 0x0077

Serial Number: 1.0

Any suggestions?

First, thanks for your efforts at putting this together, Warstrong.

I just came home from the store with this thing the guy said I could use to get my Macbook (10.5.6), G4 Power Mac (10.4.11) and Brother 3-in-1 talking to each other. The printer is connected to the G4 via USB. I use a Cisco N router for the Macbook. Basically all I want to do is be able to print from my Macbook via Airport. Getting the G4 and the Macbook on the network together would be a perk though.

I tried running the version three setup, but got the "no device" message.

My WUSB54GC is black, and the system profiler says this about it:

802.11 g WLAN:

Version: 1.01

Bus Power (mA): 500

Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec

Manufacturer: Ralink

Product ID: 0x0077

Serial Number: 1.0

Any suggestions?

How's this work? Just take the .kext file inside and use OSX86Tools to install the kext.

RT2870USBWirelessDriver.kext.zip