Irony

MyNameIsSam

8 posts in this topic

Kilocore

IBM and Power.org member Rapport unveiled a new energy-efficient processor dubbed Kilocore that features more than 1,000 processing elements around a Power chip architecture.

Ideal for processing images and video for mobile gaming, consumer electronics or even "suitcase supercomputing," the new Kilocore design is expected to be among the most energy efficient chips of its kind, backers said.

Could Apple have switched to Intel at a better time?

Different Application

Instead of running Windows, Linux, or other modern computer operating systems, the architecture and high-density cores of chips such as Kilocore are best suited to specific algorithms, including video and code compression, Reynolds said.

Interesting, but not really applicable for laptops. Probably will end up on some DSP application or video processors.

Could Apple have switched to Intel at a better time?

Nope :( They switched at the perfect time!

If they hadn't, I wouldn't be sitting here typing this message at 12:30, drinking my coffee and listening to music on iTunes.

Is this the chip that will be in the PS3?

Not exactly, but it's based on the same technology. The PS3 chip is a pure Cell Processor with some of the functionality and most of the general purpose registers masked out at fab time. The Kilocore looks as if it will be mainly an embedded systems chip for rack equipment and the like.

What is interesting is the advance IBM has made in reducing power consumption with the 970 Power processor in its latest incarnations. I still believe that Cell and PPC will offer some amazing new technologies to rival Intel/AMD at some point in the future - imagine a Power PC processor supported by Cell DSP - video unlimited.

• 1 month later...

from what ive read, cell isnt the type of processor that is going to be in computers (although others forms of it may have been, or wil be). its a very generalized chips that uses specialized cores, that they want to mass produce to put in everything from microwaves to refridgerators.

i havent kept up with cell and ps3 recently, but thats what i remember from when i did