OSX D430

36 posts in this topic

I was able to get iDeneb 10.5.5 installed without video drivers(no QE/CI). The D430 works well with OS X other than artifacts when using working GMA950 kexts, and sleep does not work.

Jas 10.4.9 works well with QE/CI without artifacts, but sleep is still FUBAR.

I would love to get the issues with 10.5 worked out. Until then, I am back to XP.

Good Luck

• 2 weeks later...
I was able to get iDeneb 10.5.5 installed without video drivers(no QE/CI). The D430 works well with OS X other than artifacts when using working GMA950 kexts, and sleep does not work.

Jas 10.4.9 works well with QE/CI without artifacts, but sleep is still FUBAR.

I would love to get the issues with 10.5 worked out. Until then, I am back to XP.

Good Luck

Lots of Success from my previous post. I was able to install XxX 10.5.6 with the only catch being after install you will boot to a black screen. The way to bring the screen back to finish the install is to wait for the display to sleep. Even though there is no image the display will sleep after 5 minutes when unplugged. About 15-20 plugged in. Once the display sleeps (not system sleep) move you mouse or hit a key and you will be at the first install screen. Step through the rest of the configuration screens and once you are at the OS X desktop set a display sleep corner so that on subsequent restarts all you need to do is when you boot to a black screen you just move your mouse to the hot corner the display will sleep move it again and the display wakes with the OS X desktop.

The good news is perfect Video driver support for D430. No artifacts, QE CI enabled VGA port works.

With the XxX distribution, here is what works out of the box:

Dual Core with Voodoo Kernel with EFI boot loader

Wifi

USB

GMA 950 Video

DVD

Power Management

Sound with working Headphone and Mic (Dell Laptop Post Installer Sigmatel 9200)

Ethernet with supplied IONetworkingFamily.kekt

Firewire

What does not work:

Sleep (The system will sleep but wake up to kernel panic)

PC Card Slot

SD Card Slot

The D430 has turned out to be a great Leopard Sub-notebook. I can live without sleep and the SD card slot. I will have to switch my WWAN PC Card to a USB version, otherwise this is a great hackintosh. If anyone can get Sleep Fixed or PC Card Slot fixed that would be great.

IONetworkingFamily.kext.zip

Lots of Success from my previous post. I was able to install XxX 10.5.6 with the only catch being after install you will boot to a black screen. The way to bring the screen back to finish the install is to wait for the display to sleep. Even though there is no image the display will sleep after 5 minutes when unplugged. About 15-20 plugged in. Once the display sleeps (not system sleep) move you mouse or hit a key and you will be at the first install screen. Step through the rest of the configuration screens and once you are at the OS X desktop set a display sleep corner so that on subsequent restarts all you need to do is when you boot to a black screen you just move your mouse to the hot corner the display will sleep move it again and the display wakes with the OS X desktop.

The good news is perfect Video driver support for D430. No artifacts, QE CI enabled VGA port works.

With the XxX distribution, here is what works out of the box:

Dual Core with Voodoo Kernel with EFI boot loader

Wifi

USB

GMA 950 Video

DVD

Power Management

Sound with working Headphone and Mic (Dell Laptop Post Installer Sigmatel 9200)

Ethernet with supplied IONetworkingFamily.kekt

Firewire

What does not work:

Sleep (The system will sleep but wake up to kernel panic)

PC Card Slot

SD Card Slot

The D430 has turned out to be a great Leopard Sub-notebook. I can live without sleep and the SD card slot. I will have to switch my WWAN PC Card to a USB version, otherwise this is a great hackintosh. If anyone can get Sleep Fixed or PC Card Slot fixed that would be great.

Sorry for a beginners question but could you please tell me what choose when i reach the customize ? Ive been trying to install the XxX 10.5.6 but no success once it boots it asks me to do a hard reset, ie. hold the power button down and restart. also do i have to modify anything in the bios?

The only options that I selected were as follows:

VooDoo Kernel 9.5.0

DSDT patcher

IHCI chipset driver

GMA 950 Stock drivers

NATIT for GMA

All of the Tools

SIGMATEL 9200 audio driver

Follow the instructions above and you should be good to go.

I also use this little app that starts at login so that once the system starts the display sleeps by itself and then just by moving your mouse or hitting a key the screen comes up.

SleepDisplay.zip

The only options that I selected were as follows:

VooDoo Kernel 9.5.0

DSDT patcher

IHCI chipset driver

GMA 950 Stock drivers

NATIT for GMA

All of the Tools

SIGMATEL 9200 audio driver

Follow the instructions above and you should be good to go.

I also use this little app that starts at login so that once the system starts the display sleeps by itself and then just by moving your mouse or hitting a key the screen comes up.

When I boot my d430 I get the black screen you described, but I'm not able to awake monitor after 5, 10, 20 minutes. With and without AC power. I also tried ideneb v 1.4 but would lockup on boot, after initial install. (Display apple logo with cross-hair in foreground.)

So I wanted to see what other options I have. I'm a noob to the OSX86 scene, and could use all the tips I could get my hands on.

Thanks.

When I boot my d430 I get the black screen you described, but I'm not able to awake monitor after 5, 10, 20 minutes. With and without AC power. I also tried ideneb v 1.4 but would lockup on boot, after initial install. (Display apple logo with cross-hair in foreground.)

So I wanted to see what other options I have. I'm a noob to the OSX86 scene, and could use all the tips I could get my hands on.

Thanks.

When I use XxX 10.5.6 on my D430 it works every time. Make sure you select the stock GMA 950 drivers. I believe it is the first GMA 950 drivers listed. Also, make sure you select Natit.kext for GMA. It is listed under GMA 950 as well.

Lastly, I switched to 10.5.2 as opposed to 10.5.6. I have found that it works much better with the hardware in D430. I will post the instructions for this shortly.

I have officially switched back to 10.5.2. 10.5.6, as stated in my original post changed the way PCMCIA is supported. I know there is ongoing work by people much smarter than me in trying to get it to work reliably, but I need my Mobile Broadband card. Plus 10.5.2 on the D430 supports the GMA 950 better. I will explain the install process.

Go into your BIOS and disable multi core support. You will re-enable this later and have dual core support!

Kalyway 10.5.2 Install on GUID partition.

Once you select your disk for install, select customize, and you will select the following leaving the defaults in place:

1. Unselect Additional Fonts and Languages unless you need the foreign languages installed.

2. Select your kernel. Both the sleep and speedstep 9.2 kernel work fine. I use the vanilla kernel.

3. Select GMA 950 under Graphics Drivers

4. I select all of the Third Party Apps

5. Unselect PCGenUSB_Fix and Francais_pc_keyboard_layout

6. Select TimeMachineFix and PowerManagement_bundle

I leave the rest of the defaults selected and wait about 25 minutes for the install to finish.

After a reboot you will see the OS X welcome video screen and then you will step through the rest of the install.

Once you get to the OS X desktop you now have a mostly complete install on the D430.

Now lets finish the install!

At this point you have accelerated graphics QE/CI enabled, but you will have artifacts when using certain memory intensive applications (MS Office, CS 4, etc.). I found this very annoying. If you can live with the artifacts from time to time then enjoy. Otherwise load the attached GMA 950 drivers. You will still have accelerated graphics, but you will loose things like menu bar transparency and widget splash effects. Under system profiler it will say software accelerated, but it is definitely using hardware support. With these drivers all the artifacts go away. Very Cool!

Next you will want to get your ethernet working. Load the attached IONetworkingFamily.kext using KextHelper. Reboot. Go into Networking preferences, and a new Ethernet interface pops up. Select it, apply the changes. Done!

Next, you will want Sound support. Load the Dell Post Installer Utility and Select Sigmatel 9200 under the sound category. You can also select the 10.5.2 Dual Core kernel and when it is done installing, Reboot. Go back into your BIOS and enable multi-core support. Save changes. You should boot to your OS X Desktop with Sound and Dual Core support. Done.

Next, you will want PC Card Support. Load the attached IOPCIFamily.kext and IOPCCardFamily.kext with KextHelper. Reboot. Done.

Lastly, Run the USB 1.3 Fix that is attached. Reboot. Done.

At this point you now have a perfect install of 10.5.2 on your D430. The only feature at this point that does not work under any version of OS X is wake from sleep. It will go to sleep fine, just not wake up. I can live without sleep on the D430.

I haven't done anything with the SD card slot, because I don't need it. There is an experimental driver in the Dell Laptop Post Installer, but I have not tried it.

You can go into Software Updates, and load all updates except the 10.5.6 update. I disable automatic updates and set it to manual under system preferences.

I think the D430 is the perfect Hackintosh Sub-Notebook. Just under 3 pounds and NOT a NetBook with the crappy ATOM processor.

A big Thank you to the Hackintosh Community for all of the various drivers and builds to get me to this point. All I have done, is captured their great work and tested it on a D430.

Enjoy!

Dell Laptop Post Installer - http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=97966

USB Fix 1.3 - http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=95789

GMA950_D430.zip

IONetworkingFamily.kext.zip

PCCard.zip

When I use XxX 10.5.6 on my D430 it works every time. Make sure you select the stock GMA 950 drivers. I believe it is the first GMA 950 drivers listed. Also, make sure you select Natit.kext for GMA. It is listed under GMA 950 as well.

Lastly, I switched to 10.5.2 as opposed to 10.5.6. I have found that it works much better with the hardware in D430. I will post the instructions for this shortly.

That's awesome! Thanks for the help. When I ran XxX, I never saw the prompt or screen as to what drivers to install. Perhaps that was the problem. Maybe I was doing something incorrect as far as driver select list; because I never saw one. I just installed OS X just like I did on my real mac computer. I followed the steps, which led me to a broken machine 2x.

I'll try your 10.5.2 tutorial this weekend, and let you know how it goes. I need to grab a copy of it somewhere.

Thanks!

Thanks for your detailed description. I installed the XxX 10.5.6 and everything went fine. but i cannot get the wireless to work! the bluetooth and the LAN cards work but not the wireless does anybody have a fix?

thanks

Thanks a lot also from me for your instructions.

I tried to install XxX10.5.6 Final on my Dell D430 (Bios A08) - without success regarding the graphics. I tested every GMA950 driver (with and without NATIT). The only driver that gives me graphics at all is the one for Asus (I think its the third driver in GMA950 category), but only with standard resolution and no QE/CI. Of course I waited different times (5, 10, 15 minutes) with and without power after first boot and moved the mouse or pressed some keys to get the screen back - without sucess, it just keeps black.

Somehow it seems that there are different versions of XxX10.5.6 or there are hardware differences.

Anyone have a guess what could be done to get it working?

At the moment I'm trying to get Kalyway 10.5.2 working - will tell you if I had success.

Thanks a lot also from me for your instructions.

I tried to install XxX10.5.6 Final on my Dell D430 (Bios A08) - without success regarding the graphics. I tested every GMA950 driver (with and without NATIT). The only driver that gives me graphics at all is the one for Asus (I think its the third driver in GMA950 category), but only with standard resolution and no QE/CI. Of course I waited different times (5, 10, 15 minutes) with and without power after first boot and moved the mouse or pressed some keys to get the screen back - without sucess, it just keeps black.

Somehow it seems that there are different versions of XxX10.5.6 or there are hardware differences.

Anyone have a guess what could be done to get it working?

At the moment I'm trying to get Kalyway 10.5.2 working - will tell you if I had success.

I definitely feel that 10.5.2 is the best option for the D430. I can tell you with great certainty that with XxX 10.5.6 If you select the stock GMA 950 drivers and NATIT for GMA it will work. After first boot wait for the hard disk activity to stop and unplug your D430 and wait about 15 minutes. Don't move your mouse or touch the keyboard otherwise the timer resets. After 15 minutes move the mouse or touch the space bar and boom you have graphics. Also, make sure you do not have an external monitor connected as this will cause problems. Once I finish the install, and I am at the OSX desktop, I set a sleep corner (usually upper right corner) and disable system sleep in power saver. Follow the rest of the instructions above for 10.5.6 and you should be good. By the way, my XxX 10.5.6 torrent was named "XxX_x86_10.5.6_Install_Disc_Universal_Final". It has 37 .rar files that need to be reassembled into an ISO winrar will do this for you automatically. Burn the ISO to a DVD and you are set.

Thanks for your detailed description. I installed the XxX 10.5.6 and everything went fine. but i cannot get the wireless to work! the bluetooth and the LAN cards work but not the wireless does anybody have a fix?

thanks

The Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN card works out of the box. I know the other Dell cards do not. I think you can pick up a 1390 on ebay for $15. I know some work has been done to get the other Dell cards and the intel card to work. Once you have identified what card you have search the forums.

Good Luck

That's awesome! Thanks for the help. When I ran XxX, I never saw the prompt or screen as to what drivers to install. Perhaps that was the problem. Maybe I was doing something incorrect as far as driver select list; because I never saw one. I just installed OS X just like I did on my real mac computer. I followed the steps, which led me to a broken machine 2x.

I'll try your 10.5.2 tutorial this weekend, and let you know how it goes. I need to grab a copy of it somewhere.

Thanks!

Once you boot from the DVD and you format your HD in disk utility (I do GUID one partition), exit disk utility and continue clicking thru the install screens. After you select your HD as the destination you are presented with the final screen before the installation starts copying files. You will notice a customize button on the lower left of the window. Click there and you will be presented with the options I outlined. Follow the instructions in my previous post for XxX 10.5.6 and you should be good.

I got XxX working with your help! Thanks! The WI-FI card isn't working at the moment, and my laptop seems buggy. I'm going to play around with ideneb v1.4. I'll probably end up with Kalyway 10.5.2 since everyone recommends it, and there's a solid D430 tutorial. Anyway to have XxX or kalyway with dual boot xp?

Thanks!

Again some updates from me:

I got Kalyway 10.5.2 working - nearly perfect! Thanks a lot for your tips and instructions.

One Info for those with a non-working WIFI: If you have a 4965AGN Wifi card installed (my D430 has this one) it is unfortunately not supported at the moment. I good alternative is a pci express card with BROADCOM BCM4311 chipset, this is supported out of the box (goes over the counter for about 20 bucks, so it is really cheap). Changigng the WIFI card is quite simply: turn off the device, turn it around, unscrew the 3 little screws in the middle of the device. You˚ll find the memory to the left, WIFI in the middle and broadband card to the right. Just change the card in the middle and your done.

Anyone got an idea how to install iLife ˚09 or safari 4 with this os-version? Both installs tell me I have to update to the current version.

I have the D430 running XxX 10.5.6 The graphics are near perfect and the system handling is pretty solid. I unfortunately have the intel 3045 wireless card which is currently unsupported. I've also had minimal success with my audio. (sigmatel 92xx) Other than those two problems, it's functioning normally. CS4 runs just fine, MS office etc. I don't really want to invest in a new wireless card (the laptop is technically my employers, lol) I'll just have to wait I suppose. LAN works, and power management seem to be working. I ran the laptop for nearly 4 hours before the battery gave way.

If anyone has any suggestions on the WI-Fi or audio, please let me know. Otherwise pretty good success. I have my system dual booted with XP Pro, via instructions I found on the osx86 wiki. (the instructions were meant for dual booting with kalyway 10.5.2, but they worked fine for me)

Cheers!

I have the D430 running XxX 10.5.6 The graphics are near perfect and the system handling is pretty solid. I unfortunately have the intel 3045 wireless card which is currently unsupported. I've also had minimal success with my audio. (sigmatel 92xx) Other than those two problems, it's functioning normally. CS4 runs just fine, MS office etc. I don't really want to invest in a new wireless card (the laptop is technically my employers, lol) I'll just have to wait I suppose. LAN works, and power management seem to be working. I ran the laptop for nearly 4 hours before the battery gave way.

If anyone has any suggestions on the WI-Fi or audio, please let me know. Otherwise pretty good success. I have my system dual booted with XP Pro, via instructions I found on the osx86 wiki. (the instructions were meant for dual booting with kalyway 10.5.2, but they worked fine for me)

Cheers!

If you download the Dell Laptop Post Installer and install the drivers for the 9200 it should work fine. For some reason I had to do it twice before the Internal Speakers showed up under the Sound Panel under System Preferences. Once you select Internal Speakers it works flawlessly. Laptop speakers, headphone jack, volume controls, mic, mute all work perfectly. As for wifi. You can buy a Dell 1390 wireless card on ebay for $15. Replace your intel card with the dell card and it should work right out of the box.

By the way. Did you have to do the sleep display trick I outlined in my previous post to get your graphics card to work?

hi all,

ive installed xxx10.5.6 Leo Install Disc Rev1 and I have managed to get the following setup working:

- Triple booting with grub, WindowsXP, Ubuntu, MacOSx86

- Cabled Network card working (applying networking kext above)

- Graphics working 100% (vga works no probs)

- Timemachine works no prob

- System very stable and responsive

I do/did have issues with:

- Kernel panics when decompressing dmg files, fix posted above in seatbelt.kext

- Sound, installed the sigmatel 9200 dell post installer, and patched my codec dump using the HDA patcher, I have sound but the only problem being is the speakers do not mute when headphones are plugged in.

- No wifi support for intel 4965 AGN card (looks like all our hopes pinned on http://projectcamphor.mercurysquad.com/, http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...0#entry1103117).

- PC/SD card slot untested

Anyone have any luck muting the speakers when heaphones are plugged in?

black1282,

Mute with headphones works fine on my D430. On XxX 10.5.6 I did not have to use AppleHDAPatcher. I just used the Dell Laptop Post Installer and installed the SIG 8200 drivers. I had to do it twice and repair permissions afterwards. Under the sound applet I have four devices. Two originally installed at OSX install, and two added by the Dell Post Installer. Under Output select internal speakers.

Good Luck.

black1282,

Mute with headphones works fine on my D430. On XxX 10.5.6 I did not have to use AppleHDAPatcher. I just used the Dell Laptop Post Installer and installed the SIG 8200 drivers. I had to do it twice and repair permissions afterwards. Under the sound applet I have four devices. Two originally installed at OSX install, and two added by the Dell Post Installer. Under Output select internal speakers.

Good Luck.

You are right, the 'double-install' trick worked! Thanks DROD1!!

In my input sound preferences it now commutes between external speakers and heaphones and in output I have the internal mic option. (I uninstalled the soundflower app that came installed as default.)

Now I have to try to get my PC card working so I can get wifi... Anyone had success with this??

Also, I installed the 'safe update' option in the dell post installer and I successfully updated everything it threw at me!

You are right, the 'double-install' trick worked! Thanks DROD1!!

In my input sound preferences it now commutes between external speakers and heaphones and in output I have the internal mic option. (I uninstalled the soundflower app that came installed as default.)

Now I have to try to get my PC card working so I can get wifi... Anyone had success with this??

Also, I installed the 'safe update' option in the dell post installer and I successfully updated everything it threw at me!

You can try the attached kexts. I was able to get my system to boot with these, and provide power to the PCCard. I was never able to successfully use my Broadband card under 10.5.6. It worked fine under 10.5.2. These drivers are also a little flaky so use caution. It might brick your system. Make a backup of the originals, and if you cannot boot after installing these, you will have to boot to the DVD load terminal and copy backup the originals and you should be OK.

Good Luck.

PCCard.zip

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...