OSx on Intel i7 Asus P6T system

marcoz71ch

43 posts in this topic

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

That guide's for for the P6T Deluxe and the P6T has different LAN/Audio and southbridge

P6T Deluxe

Chipset : X58/ICH10R

Lan : Marvell88E8056

Audio : ADI AD2000B

Southbridge/Storage : Marvell 88SE6111

P6T & SE version

Chipset : X58/ICH10R

Lan : Realtec 8111C

Audio : Realtec ALC1200

Southbridge/Storage : JMicron JMB363

Has anyone managed to get the P6T or P6T SE working? I have seen threads on the individual chipsets but nothing on these boards.

I'm looking to get the SE board as it looks very similar to the P6T but is a fair bit cheaper. Just need a little of reassurance that I've got a sporting chance to get it to work.

• 4 weeks later...

I would like to second this. I just purchased the p6T non-deluxe model (before reading this forum unfortunately). I would really like to start work on getting OSX installed up. Has anyone had success with the p6T as opposed to the deluxe before I start dumping some time into it?

Target

I would like to second this. I just purchased the p6T non-deluxe model (before reading this forum unfortunately). I would really like to start work on getting OSX installed up. Has anyone had success with the p6T as opposed to the deluxe before I start dumping some time into it?

Target

OK - so I took the plunge and bought the P6T SE board a couple of weeks ago. Being my first attempt at this I have had some success and also there are some things still not working properly.

Firstly, I have managed to get OSX installed (a major achievement in my book :D ). I used iDeneb v1.4, vanilla kernel and it went through ok. I also tried iPC_OSX 10.5.6 and iAtkos 5 but both of these refused to even to get to the boot prompt.

• Once installed, the shutdown and restart work absolutely fine. Sleep doesn't do anything.

• LAN - this worked like a dream out of the box. Plugged into my router and it worked straight away no set-up required at all. Cool :thumbsup_anim:
  • USB keyboard and mouse work ok (keyboard is Microsoft 600 and mouse is standard Microsoft optical mouse and the scroll wheel works too). :thumbsup_anim:
  • USB devices are only detected if they are plugged in before booting. If you plug in after boot it is not recognised. :(
  • Firewire is installed but does not recognise my (ancient) iPod at all - doesn't matter if it is plugged in before or after boot up it's not recognised. :thumbsdown_anim:
  • Audio - drivers are included in the install (ALC1200) but these don't work so I have no sound :thumbsdown_anim:
  • DVD drive - can eject the install disc from Applications window but again it doesn't recognise a new disc when you put it in.

Graphics card is ATI HD4850 and this isn't working as there are not drivers on the install disk. There are some other threads with some drivers but these didn't work. So I have a fixed resolution of 1024 x 768 which is ok for the moment but it would be nice to get the full benefit of the graphics card.

My set-up is as follows:-

CPU : Intel i7 920

Motherboard : Asus P6T SE

Memory : 3 x 2gb Corsair DDR3 1333 (recognised as 1066)

Graphics : Gigabyte HD4850 (silent card with heat sink)

Hard drive : Samsung Spinpoint 500gb HD502IJ

DVD : Samsung SH-s223F

Hope this helps anyone thinking about getting an Asus board.

OK - so I took the plunge and bought the P6T SE board a couple of weeks ago. Being my first attempt at this I have had some success and also there are some things still not working properly.

Firstly, I have managed to get OSX installed (a major achievement in my book :D ). I used iDeneb v1.4, vanilla kernel and it went through ok. I also tried iPC_OSX 10.5.6 and iAtkos 5 but both of these refused to even to get to the boot prompt.

• Once installed, the shutdown and restart work absolutely fine. Sleep doesn't do anything.

• LAN - this worked like a dream out of the box. Plugged into my router and it worked straight away no set-up required at all. Cool :thumbsup_anim:
  • USB keyboard and mouse work ok (keyboard is Microsoft 600 and mouse is standard Microsoft optical mouse and the scroll wheel works too). :thumbsup_anim:
  • USB devices are only detected if they are plugged in before booting. If you plug in after boot it is not recognised. :(
  • Firewire is installed but does not recognise my (ancient) iPod at all - doesn't matter if it is plugged in before or after boot up it's not recognised. :thumbsdown_anim:
  • Audio - drivers are included in the install (ALC1200) but these don't work so I have no sound :thumbsdown_anim:
  • DVD drive - can eject the install disc from Applications window but again it doesn't recognise a new disc when you put it in.

Graphics card is ATI HD4850 and this isn't working as there are not drivers on the install disk. There are some other threads with some drivers but these didn't work. So I have a fixed resolution of 1024 x 768 which is ok for the moment but it would be nice to get the full benefit of the graphics card.

My set-up is as follows:-

CPU : Intel i7 920

Motherboard : Asus P6T SE

Memory : 3 x 2gb Corsair DDR3 1333 (recognised as 1066)

Graphics : Gigabyte HD4850 (silent card with heat sink)

Hard drive : Samsung Spinpoint 500gb HD502IJ

DVD : Samsung SH-s223F

Hope this helps anyone thinking about getting an Asus board.

did you change any bios setting to get ideneb 1.4 to load? are you running all cpu cores? I got ideneb 1.3 to load on my p6t deluxe v2 but not 1.4

did you change any bios setting to get ideneb 1.4 to load? are you running all cpu cores? I got ideneb 1.3 to load on my p6t deluxe v2 but not 1.4

The only essential change in the BIOS is the Storage Configuration (on Main screen in BIOS) for SATA which needs to be set to AHCI. With this change the install recognises the hard drive(s). If the Storage Config remains on IDE the install fails to load. I have changed some of the other settings such as the USB config but they don't seem to make any noticeable difference except for Legacy USB support. I have left this on Auto (rather than disabled, as this stops the keyboard/mouse working)

I should have mentioned that only 1 cpu core is recognised.

• 2 weeks later...
I should have mentioned that only 1 cpu core is recognised.

Do you update 10.5.7?

If so, I think you can use Boot-132 + Retail DVD Image without "busratio=20", It also recognize 2 cpu.

Please see my GeekBech, how about you?

http://osx86.tistory.com/200

• 3 weeks later...

I have (finally) successfully loaded retail OS X

Almost everything is working now (kinda/sorta):

LAN worked from the initial install

DSDT Patch got Hyper Threading and all 8 cores working

Software Update works also, currently running 10.5.7

HD3650.zip worked for my Video Card

But I still have some issues:

1. Realtek ALC1200 Onboard Audio did not working even after I installed AppleHDA.kext using Kext Helper b7.

System Profiler, Audio (Built In) shows generic Intel High Definition Audio information.

System Preferences, Sound shows no input/output devices.

I then installed P6T_ALC1200_SLIM, and now I have sound, but with popping after a while when adjusting the volume - almost like the sound card is going to sleep and popping as it wakes up.

2. In System Profiler, Hardware shows "There was an error when gathering this information." It worked before I upgraded to 10.5.6 - Do I even need to fix this?

3. System Profiler, Software shows Kernel Version: Darwin 9.5.0. Should I be at 9.7.0?

4. I have Windows 7 on a GUID partition of this HD that isn't appearing as a option during boot up.

5. USB mounting is not consistent, if I reboot with a USB drive in the slot it will mount.

System:

Asus P6T Standard Motherboard

i7 920 CPU

6 Gb DDR3 RAM

Sapphire PCIe HD3650 512 Mb VRAM Video Card

Sata HD

Sata DVD

I have (finally) successfully loaded retail OS X

Almost everything is working now (kinda/sorta):

LAN worked from the initial install

DSDT Patch got Hyper Threading and all 8 cores working

Software Update works also, currently running 10.5.7

HD3650.zip worked for my Video Card

But I still have some issues:

1. Realtek ALC1200 Onboard Audio did not working even after I installed AppleHDA.kext using Kext Helper b7.

System Profiler, Audio (Built In) shows generic Intel High Definition Audio information.

System Preferences, Sound shows no input/output devices.

I then installed P6T_ALC1200_SLIM, and now I have sound, but with popping after a while when adjusting the volume - almost like the sound card is going to sleep and popping as it wakes up.

2. In System Profiler, Hardware shows "There was an error when gathering this information." It worked before I upgraded to 10.5.6 - Do I even need to fix this?

3. System Profiler, Software shows Kernel Version: Darwin 9.5.0. Should I be at 9.7.0?

4. I have Windows 7 on a GUID partition of this HD that isn't appearing as a option during boot up.

5. USB mounting is not consistent, if I reboot with a USB drive in the slot it will mount.

System:

Asus P6T Standard Motherboard

i7 920 CPU

6 Gb DDR3 RAM

Sapphire PCIe HD3650 512 Mb VRAM Video Card

Sata HD

Sata DVD

Hi, I'm struggling with the install for over a week now, but without succes... ^_^ I have the P6T-SE.

Could you tell me how you got it installed? Which boot132-iso did you use? And did you update your BIOS? It would be really awesome if you could post some small tutorial on how you did it, because I'm getting quite desperate...

I also tried to install iDeneb 1.4, but this didn't work for me either. I didn't update my BIOS, so I'm still using version 0106. Would updating my BIOS make a difference?

System:

Asus P6T-SE

i7 920 CPU

6 Gb DDR3 RAM

Sapphire PCIe HD3650 512Mb DDR4

Sata HD

Sata DVD

I really hope someone can help me!

The only essential change in the BIOS is the Storage Configuration (on Main screen in BIOS) for SATA which needs to be set to AHCI. With this change the install recognises the hard drive(s). If the Storage Config remains on IDE the install fails to load.

Hi, I have the ASUS P6T and I was also able to install iDeneb with SATA configured as AHCI. My only problem is i have 3 SATA Harddrives, the one which I am trying to install OSX to, as well as two other harddrives in RAID0 with my Windows 7 installed. My goal was to be able to dual boot between the two, but Windows won't boot in ACHI. I set my SATA back to RAID and i get Windows to boot but when I try to load OSX I get the "still waiting for root device error."

Is there any way to fix this? Or is the root device error not related?

Thanks for any help!

I did it, so can you!

Carefully follow these two insanelymac Genius Bar Tutorial guides:

1. [How To] Install Leopard Retail DVD on ASUS P6T Deluxe LGA 1366 (core i7), Boot-132 + EFI Partition Boot. (search: M J 144639)

2. [Guide] Boot from EFI partition, zero modification installs on Intel SSE2 or better..., Zero-modification Leopard installs. (search: munky 127330)

I'm pretty much a newbie and made every mistake possible - do not get discouraged. Learn from your mistakes and be patient.

The terminal stuff was very new to me and a lot of the time I didn't know what what I was doing was doing (but hell, it's working). Small hint here: when you type your password, you don't see any characters on the screen.

Good luck, go slow, don't quit! When you get it running you will have more stuff to do: audio, smbios and seatbelt fixes, graphics patches. Lots of Google-ing. Did I mention that it took me almost two months, mostly because of my own inexperience and a few glaring / butt-head / oops moments.

Well, I managed to install Retail Leopard 10.5 :blink: I also found a driver for my HD3650, so everything looks wonderful!

Right now, I can't patch my DSDT though... I've been trying for a few days now, but it won't work. I followed the P6T Deluxe guide, but when I restart and enable all my cores and HT, it gets stuck during booting. The last line I see is "using 10485 buffer headers and 4096 cluster IO buffer headers".

The patching process seems to go fine, but when I reboot it doesn't work...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone!

I'm trying to install ideneb 1.4 on the system:

intel core i7 920

ASUS P6T SE

Nvidia 9500gt

2x2gb ADATA ram

250gb sata hd

but after installation it reboots infinitely. It starts with the kernel panic, then briefly starting darwin and reboots automatically. I tried -f -v -x cpus=1 modifiers in every possible combination but it makes no difference. I also tried both voodoo kernel and default vanilla. I cannot see anything since it boots automatically and I cannot see the last message on the screen... ;)

It would be nice if someone from those of you that made it, can explain the whole process... (I've set the BIOS SETTINGS: AHCI mode, HYPERTHREADING - DISABLED, CPUS - 1),

What is necessary to check in the iDeneb customize menu to make it work.

Also I read somewhere that IDENEB 1.3 is better for P6T and P6T SE.

Thanks!

I have a working OSX installation on Asus P6T SE mobo, but I had to use a few tricks to get it working.

Using now iATKOS v7 with working Apple updates. If anyone wants help on that, just ask, but I must warn you that it required a lot of effort.

Everything is working, usb devices can be hot-plugged and discs changed after booting. Firewire seems to be working, but I don't have any firewire devices to test it.

@rule83: You might need modified ACPI drivers. Stock ACPI drivers had the same problem on my computer.

@etnmich

What you got sounds good! Until now, I only had some succes using the retail install, but still with only one core, no usb hot-plug and possibly lacking some other features.

I would really like to try your method. I'm downloading iAtkos v7 right now. I was wondering if the modified ACPI drivers are included on the iAtkos dvd? Did you follow any online guides for your install? Or what would you recommend me? Also: which kernel did you use? And which bootflags for installing?

Thanks in advance!

P.S. And what patches/options did you use on installation for the P6T-SE? I'm sorry it's a lot of questions :unsure:

I just replaced my P5B mainboard with P6T-SE.

Took a while but meanwhile got my old 10.5.7 install running again...

Only issue I have left is that LAN is 10 instead of 1000mbit.

I've tried changing from automatic to manual 100 or 1000 but no luck, it stays on 10mbit.

Driver used by OS is RTL8169, downloaded via OSX86 Tools.

Would highly appreciate if someone has an idea/hint how to fix this...

Thanks. I've tried that however no luck. Maybe there is a conflict with another kext on my install...

@Smart&Stupid:

You seem to have sound working on P6T-SE.

Could you do me a favor and PM me your complete list of kext?

Maybe by comparing I can find out what the problem is...

delete applehda.kext,applehdaenabler.kext,azalia.kext,

and install.

VoodooHDA-0.2.2

audio work in my p6t se whit leopard retail 10.57 vanilla install :D

delete applehda.kext,applehdaenabler.kext,azalia.kext,

and install.

VoodooHDA-0.2.2

audio work in my p6t se whit leopard retail 10.57 vanilla install ;)

Thanks Caxio! LineOut now works via VooDooHDA :(

S/PDIF is not giving a peep yet but this seems to be a know issue.

For now I'll leave it like this. Will check on future updates.

Thanks again :)