Final Cut Pro 5.1 Installed and Working now with HD

Wayland

276 posts in this topic

has anyone managed to get compressor working, whenever i try to use it, it says can not connect with background process. Ive done some research and apparently this has been a problem on osx well before the unibin's were released.

ive found this fix from another site...

"Qmaster process is not running in the background, and this is what Compressor needs to work properly. What you can do to get it working again is run this command in a Terminal window (you will need your admin password):

sudo /Library/StartupItems/Qmaster/Qmaster start

This will only work until you restart your computer again. "

ive tried it, and it still didnt work, if anyone gets it working please let me know thanks

has anyone managed to get compressor working, whenever i try to use it, it says can not connect with background process. Ive done some research and apparently this has been a problem on osx well before the unibin's were released.

ive found this fix from another site...

"Qmaster process is not running in the background, and this is what Compressor needs to work properly. What you can do to get it working again is run this command in a Terminal window (you will need your admin password):

sudo /Library/StartupItems/Qmaster/Qmaster start

This will only work until you restart your computer again. "

ive tried it, and it still didnt work, if anyone gets it working please let me know thanks

No clue really... what do you have system specs wise, and also FCP wise? Do you have a full studio upgrade?

Eeeks! It took 263 seconds (4 minutes and 23 seconds) on my laptop! Not sure if it's supposed to be any faster than that. That Pentium D 940 score looks great though, does anyone have a 950 they can test for us?

I have ATI x1600xt. It supports QE & CI. I have no problem with other program, except Final Cut Pro because my card is recognized as PCI. not AGP or PCIe. that is why I cannot run this program. (system requirement for this is AGP or PCIe).

Do you know how to let my video card be rcognized as PCIe? (I tried to search, but no solution)

so me again

so spec for those who don't read me

asusp5ld2-vm

p4820@3.21 (fsb230) it's like a 840/940

2 go ram @4/4/3/12

G950

so it's time for the results

FCP 5.0.1 FCP 5.1 bonus

580 seconds 94 seconds 617 %

but there is some explainations!

this test is good but not enough power hungry for me

i explain at stock speed fcp5.1 done 105s and with a bonus of 400 mhz i have a gain of 11 s good but!

i managed th processor when i render: i have a marge of power 10 to 20% of inactive (+10-15% for the system)

so we see here that we are turning around the 100s maybe it's because of that

what you think wayland?

so me again

so spec for those who don't read me

asusp5ld2-vm

p4820@3.21 (fsb230) it's like a 840/940

2 go ram @4/4/3/12

G950

so it's time for the results

FCP 5.0.1 FCP 5.1 bonus

580 seconds 94 seconds 617 %

but there is some explainations!

this test is good but not enough power hungry for me

i explain at stock speed fcp5.1 done 105s and with a bonus of 400 mhz i have a gain of 11 s good but!

i managed th processor when i render: i have a marge of power 10 to 20% of inactive (+10-15% for the system)

so we see here that we are turning around the 100s maybe it's because of that

what you think wayland?

Well, you can try and push the limits, but there is still enough leway really in the speed. I'm sure if we overclocked, mananged the power and voltage to the ram, springled liquid nitrogen on the system, we may get into the 80s or such... but then again is a few seconds really worth it? I mean you have to pee sometimes. Just do it while you render. :) Seriously though the render most likely will not take 100% of the processor. No application can. If you did, you would have some serious problems due to management of the system. Your mouse moving is still somewhat a process if you think about it. Personally a few seconds is fine :angel: They might come out with patches that will make it more universal in the code and make it faster, but we will have to wait and see.

Now hold on!

This test took 1 minute and 26,91 seconds (86,91 sec). It seems quite fast and tops the G5's.

The machine is a:

Pentium D930 3,0GHz@3,82GHz

about 260 MHz FSB and 720MHz RAM CL4...

on ASUS P5LD2-VM with GMA950

I didn't try motion 2 at this time.

Now hold on!

This test took 1 minute and 26,91 seconds (86,91 sec). It seems quite fast and tops the G5's.

The machine is a:

Pentium D930 3,0GHz@3,82GHz

about 260 MHz FSB and 720MHz RAM CL4...

on ASUS P5LD2-VM with GMA950

I didn't try motion 2 at this time.

Sweet! Can you give us some more details on your specs and configs so that we can see what you have done? Also, can you tell us what type of ram/speed you have, and also the settings for your overclock?

WaterCool? Etc...?

Sure,

so ok

the Board is ASUS P5LD2-VM with 406? BIOS.

Further machine spec is:

Intel Pentium D930 3GHz, 2x2MB Cache, DualCore

Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Cooler (cheap, air)

RAM 2x512MB MDT PC667 CL4

Enermax Liberty 500W PS

GMA950

2x120GB SATA WD (1.Generation)

Onboard ALC882 Sound

PCI Firewire card (NEC)

DVD Burner

thats it.

The settings in the BIOS are:

FSB: 255MHz --> 3,82GHz CPU

RAM: DDR2-510MHz (this is a display error in the BIOS the true frequency is much higher (about 720MHz), but i don't have XP on the pc to get the actual frequency, i tested it earlier)

PCI Express Freuquency: 116MHz

Clock sync to: PCI Expr

Mem Volt: 1,904V

MCH Chipset Volt:Auto

VCore-Volt: 1,3250V

RAM-Timing is 4-4-4-15-4 (i didn't invest to much time to tweak it, the performance gain is only max. 2%)

OS: OSX 10.4.5, updated from 10.4.3 to 14.4 and then to 10.4.5

I wanted to build a budget mactel D:

Running stable for weeks without shutdown.

I attached the xbench. No tweaks are made to the os.

And I like this machine and now its running Final Cut! ;)

bench_phi.txt

I also made the Final Cut Benchmark from this site (sorry, its in german)

Final Cut Bench

I needed 42,15 secs for the second test. The project and the rederfile are downloadable on the same site below.

But it seems, not too comparable, the G5's could not be so bad. Just the

movie and the project seem interesting.

I also made the Final Cut Benchmark from this site (sorry, its in german)

Final Cut Bench

I needed 42,15 secs for the second test. The project and the rederfile are downloadable on the same site below.

But it seems, not too comparable, the G5's could not be so bad. Just the

movie and the project seem interesting.

Sweet, BTW< I got a hold of some P2 cards and am testing HD on the system. Standby for further details!

Ok, so graphics cards don't make a difference in FCP's render speed. What about After Effects?

Anyone tried AE?

Do MacTel boxes support OpenGL/OpenGL previews [in AE, or any other 3D/compositing program]?

I guess this is somewhat of a moot point, considering you could just reboot to Windows...and, there isn't a UniBIN of After Effects out yet...however, I'm still kinda curious. I'm still a bit scared to make the dive...but, it'll save me a buttload of money.

Wayland, what else have you tried with your MacTel [in terms of broadcast production]?

Ever since editors have been forced to become motion graphics designers, and motion graphics designers have been forced to become editors, I have been obsessed with finding a machine that has the capability of doing both (AT SPEED). Hell, even Avid's top of the line boxes can't do both! PC's have always been plagued with stability issues and Premiere just doesn't cut it (what a joke..who the hell does Adobe think they're fooling.... although, this new itteration is gathering steam thanks to CHEAP native HD/SD via AJA's SDI box.)....(Oh, I have found that PC's tend to be somewhat faster at rendering previews in AE than Mac's). Anyway, then Mac came out with Final Cut.... You could edit, open an AE file, create your VFX, [semi] 3D, and graphics elements; all with the FCP project open....thanks to the stability of the Macintosh OS and its uber-memory capacities (16GB!!!!!!!!!!!!). But now, you can run Mac on x86 machines.... And, x86 on Mac machines.... For price, I can't beat a PC. For reliability, I can't beat a Mac. You're a working pro, Wayland....what should I do? Will I miss out on productivity if I buy a PC? Will I have to constantly tweak my computer? Or, can I get down to work? (All that time I saved rendering previews in PC AE was wasted when I had to nerd out tweaking the registry, hunting down spyware, and re-doing scenes when Bill's shoddy OS decided to take a {censored} on me).

I guess what I'm trying to say is: in your opinion, could you run a credible post house with an OSx86 machine?

Thanks for your help.

Wow, that's a lot on your plate there! I have not tried AE yet on the mac, don't use it as much as I should. I do most of my graphics work in 3dsmax and there is no such thing as real time for that :P I don't care how fast any machine is right now. With the increase of speed, the increase in resolution, so it is almost unmatchable. And Yes, the graphics card does not matter in render time, but in GUI processing. Honestly, not a lot in FCP, but in Ae, you better believe it. I was waiting to test 7 on the intel mac, so I will there. If you get the Asus p5ld2-vm, you can get an Add2 card and get dual monitor support.

As for me, I have edited an entire feature on the osx86 and have had no problems. With the universal version now out I run a whole hell of a lot faster though. Before I would hit render, and come back the next day. Now, it's just a few hours to render a full feature of effects. I am waiting for the universal drivers for the MBOX. Until then, I'm still half and half. Half Pc-Half Mac :gun: Love the OS, hate the hardware. Now I have the best of both worlds.

As for those who follow my posts, my laptop will not read the P2 cards in OSX mode. The kext will not load, I posted it separate if anyone is interested. But the Windows XP side was able to read it. However when trying to bring in the data off the P2 drive folder that I copied, it didn't work. It gave me a corrupted files error. So needless to say I will be working with that, but no simple solutions yet. I'm sure there is a fix in the kext, but have not figured out where that might be.... yet :guitar:

I fact i'm not a pro in case of video. The only thing i'm doing with fcp is to make cool dvd presentations. Presentation Soft ---> QuickTime --> FCP + LiveType --> DVD Studio Pro. I used to work on a dual 1,8 G5 with 2 GB, now this way is much faster with the intel machine (A bit to less of ram, but soon it'll change ;) )

Dual monitor support is great with the p5ld2-vm + ADD2 Card. I'm trying out to work with the new Aperture now and it runs okay. The lack in native photoshop lets me to think about some other soft. But u have only one DVI port, so don't think about getting two apple cinema displays.

Using the best of the two worlds is very comfortable too with this processor! It has Intel Virtualization (VM). In Parallels Windows runs fast as hell, the only problems for you will be the lack of OpenGL support. I'm using electronic CAD most of time in Parallels and its impressive.

I just installed the 5.1 unibin on my intel iMac. Wouldn't load at all to start, so I tried replacing the Prokit framework with that version linked above. It now gets to the splashscreen, but crashes without warning every time just after loading the audio units. The console shows the following:

Library not loaded: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/ProKit.framework/Versions/A/ProKit

Referenced from: /Applications/Final Cut Pro.app/Contents/MacOS/Final Cut Pro

Reason: no suitable image found. Did find:

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/ProKit.framework/Versions/A/ProKit: mach-o, but wrong architecture

I've tried loading FCP in Rosetta, but still no luck. Anyone have any ideas?

Additional Information:

I got Motion 2, LiveType and Soundtrack Pro up and running, so the whole Suite is running very smooth on Mactel!

If you have the Original FCP 5.0 and want to try it on your Mactel(maybe because your PPC is so slow :hysterical: ) then you can install the programs of FCS 5.1 and use the content of original FCS 5.0.

I would like to tell about Motion performance but i never use it really before, if i should try something for someone, i'll do it.

I just installed the 5.1 unibin on my intel iMac. Wouldn't load at all to start, so I tried replacing the Prokit framework with that version linked above. It now gets to the splashscreen, but crashes without warning every time just after loading the audio units. The console shows the following:

Library not loaded: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/ProKit.framework/Versions/A/ProKit

Referenced from: /Applications/Final Cut Pro.app/Contents/MacOS/Final Cut Pro

Reason: no suitable image found. Did find:

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/ProKit.framework/Versions/A/ProKit: mach-o, but wrong architecture

I've tried loading FCP in Rosetta, but still no luck. Anyone have any ideas?

What are your full specs? Graphics card especially...

Why did you replace your ProKit.framework with the PPC-Version?

Try reinstall the ProAppRuntime.pkg from the packages folder on the FCStudio Volume.

I added a line of instruction at the header of this forum to note that...

Sorry, i'll add them to my profile now.

Extremely detailed specs of my machine you'll find some posts above on this site :D

I was addressing Scopegate :P But you can too. Add a graphic to your username too! Go Custom :angel:

Additional Information:

I got Motion 2, LiveType and Soundtrack Pro up and running, so the whole Suite is running very smooth on Mactel!

If you have the Original FCP 5.0 and want to try it on your Mactel(maybe because your PPC is so slow :) ) then you can install the programs of FCS 5.1 and use the content of original FCS 5.0.

I would like to tell about Motion performance but i never use it really before, if i should try something for someone, i'll do it.

I'll test these out as well once I have them.....

Wayland, do you have glitches or artifacts with the sapphire card?

There is mouse tearing with the Saphire Card. I didn't really need huge amounts of graphics processing, so I went to the internal with the Add2 card. Seems to be more worth full support! B)