Final Cut Pro 5.1 Installed and Working now with HD

Wayland

276 posts in this topic

*************Updated 2 Aug 06***************

Installation Instructions:

Through extensive testing I have found this new version to be the greatest update for my usability of all time! It easily runs about 10 times faster than the rosetta emulated version. I was extremely surprised at the speed of the filters added onto the video. I could preview most EVERYTHING real time, even after several filters were applied. After 5 filters I was still able to preview the effect near perfect. After rendering the effect, it took a mere few seconds, rather than 15 min in the rosetta emu version.

HOWEVER! There is one downside. You cannot open Final Cut 5.1 Files in previous versions. It does a conversion to the file to make it universal, which makes it only function in the new version of FCP. So if you do a lot of cross editing between machines, make sure both systems have it ready to go.

Installation must be done with pacifist, unfortunately. There was a weird error when installing mine, so I went the pacifist way. But it didn't load. It would bounce once, and stop. Since I have the 5.1 upgrade version, I had to have 5.0 already installed.

So I did several things. I deleted the old version of the id located here: /Library/Application support/ProApps/

Next after I installed the program, I installed a new ProKit.framework

located here:

*****Broken Link... we need to replace this!!********

hxxp://rapidshare.de/files/17871261/ProKit.zip.html

NEW LINK!!!!

: hxxp://www1.chapman.edu/~wayla100/ProKit.zip

************NOTE, Only use of the Prokit is optional... stick with your original and see if it works!************

I got that link from teapot116

And installed it here:

/system/library/private frameworks

And BAM! Works like a charm now.

I continue to do testing with a 80 min film, and it runs so smooth! Easily kick an old G5!

Happy Editing!

PS. I have not tested motion or DVD studio, so don't ask

Some people Have asked about bypassing the QE check. Here are the instructions:

Yup... found a way to drop the need for QE:

do a "Show Package Contents" - Open the "Info.plist" with e.g. TextEdit and remove the lines:

<key>AELMinimumQuartzExtremeCapable</key>

<string></string>

Save and Exit

The application will now continue to load but will crash afterwards so at first look QE is a MUST HAVE for this app

*******************Test Area**********************

Due to the new performance, it was necessary to see just how much faster the program works under the unibin, rather than the old "rose" way. I devised a standardized test:

New York Streets Image test: 0545

Duration 10 Seconds:

Filters Added:

Sepia

Solarize

Desaturate Lows

Basic Border

Mask Feather

Basic 3d- Curl -Animated 0% in begining, 100% at 10 seconds in

I have attached a copy of the FCP file (Saved at Version 5, so anyone can open it) and the image so that anyone can test this render and see how fast they can render it. These results can be posted here to compare results.

These results are timed from the click of "Render All" And the Completion of the render.

Under 5.04 version:

Time: 11 Min 51 Seconds ----- Or 711 Seconds

Under 5.1 Version:

Time: 3 Min 7 Seconds ------ or 187 Seconds

Total of 380% Improvement.....

So my rough guess was just about right!!! And they did say 4x faster, So they were right.... sorta. If you compared the results of a G5, that would be REALLY interesting.

Tech Specs on the Laptop:

2Ghz Pentium M Processor

1 GB SDRAM

Full Detail specs on the laptop can be found here:

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?sh...mp;hl=asus+z83v

Please post your results on this forum! GROOOVY!

Benchmark #2: Pentium D 940 & Asus P5WD2 w/ Saphire x1600

Runtime: 105 seconds!

************New Results!!!!******************

Benchmark #3:Powerbook G4 Titanium:

1 Ghz PowerPc G4

512 Memory

Runtime:399 Seconds

Does the Graphics card make a difference in rendering?

I have put the systems to the test:

TEST RESULTS:

System 2 Results:

Pentium 4, on Asus p5ld2-vm with a 3 GHZ processor, 2 Gig Ram:

With Saphire x1600 PCI-E

Time: 2 Min 43 Seconds,

Or 163 Seconds

System 2 Results with 950 GMA Intel built in:

Time: 2 Min 48 Seconds,

or 168 Seconds.

CONCLUSION:

The Graphics card DOES NOT help with the rendering. So it's all processor strength!

************New Tests!!!!******************

HD uncompressed benchmark Kit!

post-15194-1154570810_thumb.png

Click Below For link:

http://rapidshare.de/files/27988062/hdtestfolder.zip.html

Made in FCP Version 5.1.1

I have consolidated a few seconds of HD footage at 1080i60 so people can test and play with it.

I also applied the same filters so that we can do some benchmarking as well. We need to see what kind of engine we have. Since we have limited space, the footage is smaller, so the test is faster. The footage is quite boring, just a guy at a desk. No, that's not me, just some old footage off of the p2 card used in an HVX200.

System Results

Pentium 4, on Asus p5ld2-vm with a 3 GHZ processor, 2 Gig Ram, GMA 950:

Render Time: 00:22:82

Or: 23 Seconds.

Test_Kit.zip

post-15194-1145045903_thumb.jpg

TEST RESULTS:

System 2 Results:

Pentium 4, on Asus p5ld2-vm with a 3 GHZ processor, 2 Gig Ram:

Time: 2 Min 43 Seconds,

Or 163 Seconds

So I have a score of 163 on this system (The Lower the better)

Anyone with Dual Core Results?

i will test it

but not now cause i will be not there for a t least a long week or two

i will test

on fcp5.02 and 5.1

on asus p5ld2wm G950

p4d820(dual core) @3.22

with 2 gb of memory @4-4-4-12

bench score : 135

cinebench : 2 cpu rendering 520

i will test it

but not now cause i will be not there for a t least a long week or two

i will test

on fcp5.02 and 5.1

on asus p5ld2wm G950

p4d820(dual core) @3.22

with 2 gb of memory @4-4-4-12

bench score : 135

cinebench : 2 cpu rendering 520

Um... Ok, sounds good. Anyone else? Feel free to post your scores, or problems/questions.

It works great on my computer!!!! (except for the sutter problem with amd x2)

I had the FCP5 installed, but i couldn't use it.

Livetype and cinematools works, but compressor doesn't.

Amd x2 3800

Asus a8n sli premium

1Gb ram

Ati x800gt (QE & CI enabled)

macos 10.4.5 myz

Hope dual display works someday...

I only have two questions:

- Do i need to install/copy the prokit.framework?? because Final cut 5.1 works and i haven't installed it.

- ANY external (USB) sound card would work??(or if there is a pci sound card that works please tell me).

I only have two questions:

- Do i need to install/copy the prokit.framework?? because Final cut 5.1 works and i haven't installed it.

- ANY external (USB) sound card would work??(or if there is a pci sound card that works please tell me).

You can install it, but there is no need to. That's just in case you don't get it to work, that is one possible solution. Secondly, the Sound Blaster Live 24 bit is great! Works really well as external usb with line in and out, MIC too! As for internal, I checked the wiki, but none of those I have tested yet really.

Also, can you run the test I ran and post your benchmark? That way we can compare with more and more systems.

One last thing... Maniac Mansion and Day of the Tentacle were AWESOME! I wish they made games that were as good today. Unfortunatelly many thinking games are gone :( When I was a kid it took like 8 years to Pass Zac McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders, what an awesome triumph when we were done!

Running the "Render All" tests on my MacBook Pro 2.0 ghz with 1 gig of ram came in at *just* under 2 minutes, or 119 seconds....blazing fast really.

I can't wait to run the test when I've got 2 gigs of ram and a 7200 rpm HD in this baby :(

Hi,

it took my computer (Amd x2 3800 2Ghz) 121 seconds to render with both cores enabled and 192 seconds with only one core enabled.

i will try to overcolck my cpu and bus and see how it does.

Kc Wayland, Day of the tentacle was the first game i palyed and it was awesome!! the second was Little Big Adventure... I have the original cds!... somewhere.. xDDD

hey kc

I've been following your work with getting Fcp 5 working, and I'd like to thank you for all the help so far.

My main reason for interest in getting osx working on a pc is because of FCP. period. If it werent for that program (and possibly motion or dvd studio) I'd be more than happy sticking to everything for me pc.

Your other fcp thread provided me with alot of info,

but I've got one or two question for you-

1) you mentioned you've edited a few SD dv projects on ur pc with fcp 5 and it was stable. You never mentioned if edited in HDV or HD. So my question is to you, now with fcp 5.1, have you tried editing with HDV or with MXF files for the panasonic hvx200 (like dvcpro)? What its like, fast and stable?

I'm gonna be finding out shortly, really hope my hardware works perfectly with 10.4.5..

got an amd 64 x2 4200, 2 gig kingston ram, asus a8n -SLI premium motherboard, gigabyte 6800gs pci express graphics card, sata 250 gb hard drive... So I am hoping: a) the osx will run smoothly on that config and :) Final cut 5.1 will run with all its bells and whistles as well

Anyone tried fcp 5.1 on those specs?

Think I'll come across any probs?

hey kc

I've been following your work with getting Fcp 5 working, and I'd like to thank you for all the help so far.

My main reason for interest in getting osx working on a pc is because of FCP. period. If it werent for that program (and possibly motion or dvd studio) I'd be more than happy sticking to everything for me pc.

1) you mentioned you've edited a few SD dv projects on ur pc with fcp 5 and it was stable. You never mentioned if edited in HDV or HD. So my question is to you, now with fcp 5.1, have you tried editing with HDV or with MXF files for the panasonic hvx200 (like dvcpro)? What its like, fast and stable?

I'm gonna be finding out shortly, really hope my hardware works perfectly with 10.4.5..

got an amd 64 x2 4200, 2 gig kingston ram, asus a8n -SLI premium motherboard, gigabyte 6800gs pci express graphics card, sata 250 gb hard drive... So I am hoping: a) the osx will run smoothly on that config and :D Final cut 5.1 will run with all its bells and whistles as well

Anyone tried fcp 5.1 on those specs?

Think I'll come across any probs?

I have Final cut 5.1 and 10.4.5, but i have only tried DV.

I have the same motherboard (a8n sli premium) mine works well except for the Sata, Sound card and ethernet i'm trying to fix those, and about the x2 CPU, I have the 2x 3800 and it has a little Stutter... if you disable one core ( cpus=1 at boot ) there is no stuttering, and there is people that has no stuttering with both cores enabled putting idlehalt=0 at boot ( not my case :D ).

PD: At least for mine,when I have both cores enabled it renders faster, but stuttering drives me mad too...

You can acces Sata drives editing some .kext files, but i've read that there are problems and data coruption corruption...i havent tried.

Hope this helps :)

I have Final cut 5.1 and 10.4.5, but i have only tried DV.

I have the same motherboard (a8n sli premium) mine works well except for the Sata, Sound card and ethernet i'm trying to fix those, and about the x2 CPU, I have the 2x 3800 and it has a little Stutter... if you disable one core ( cpus=1 at boot ) there is no stuttering, and there is people that has no stuttering with both cores enabled putting idlehalt=0 at boot ( not my case :withstupid: ).

PD: At least for mine,when I have both cores enabled it renders faster, but stuttering drives me mad too...

You can acces Sata drives editing some .kext files, but i've read that there are problems and data coruption corruption...i havent tried.

Hope this helps :blink:

hey thanks for the reply

Good to hear at least 10.4.5 will work on my motherboard. Did you use the myzar 10.4.5 boot/install dvd to get it working?

Question regarding the sound - do you have a seperate sound card or is the sound from the motherboard that doesnt work for you?

Ethernet doesnt work, that doesnt bother me too much, how about firewire and usb 2.0? have you tried capturing dv thru firewire in fcp 5 or 5.1?

And regarding the stutter (by that I think you mean video stutter, correct?) how bad is it?

I know how to disable 1 core but I'd really want to be able to use both, you've mentioned "putting idlehalt=0", is this a setting in the bios or some file you have to edit?

And final question(!) can I install OSX 10.4.5 on my seagate sata 250mb hard drive or would it be smarter just to get an IDE one - not quite sure what everyone means by sata doesnt work .. it that the sata features and speed on the hdd or just the hdd wont work, period? would it be faster and stabler just to get an IDE hdd with my motherboard, or is there patch available?

Sorry for the 101 question, but getting FCP working here is my top priority.

Anyone else edited Hdv or HD on FCP 5 or 5.1?

hey thanks for the reply

Good to hear at least 10.4.5 will work on my motherboard. Did you use the myzar 10.4.5 boot/install dvd to get it working?

Question regarding the sound - do you have a seperate sound card or is the sound from the motherboard that doesnt work for you?

Ethernet doesnt work, that doesnt bother me too much, how about firewire and usb 2.0? have you tried capturing dv thru firewire in fcp 5 or 5.1?

And regarding the stutter (by that I think you mean video stutter, correct?) how bad is it?

I know how to disable 1 core but I'd really want to be able to use both, you've mentioned "putting idlehalt=0", is this a setting in the bios or some file you have to edit?

And final question(!) can I install OSX 10.4.5 on my seagate sata 250mb hard drive or would it be smarter just to get an IDE one - not quite sure what everyone means by sata doesnt work .. it that the sata features and speed on the hdd or just the hdd wont work, period? would it be faster and stabler just to get an IDE hdd with my motherboard, or is there patch available?

Sorry for the 101 question, but getting FCP working here is my top priority.

Anyone else edited Hdv or HD on FCP 5 or 5.1?

Hi,

-About the sound card, i'm reffer to the built-in sound card. I'll buy an external one next week.

-Yes, I used the Myzar image.

-You have to put idlehalt=0 boot command(like -v , -x , cpus=1...).

-About the Sata, i don`t know how to use them, I will wait and see if someone fixes the problem ('cause i can't xDDD). I have a Seagate SATA 250 Gb and it's not detected... :D i'm using an ide drive.

-By stutter i mean that sometimes everythig freezes and seems that it's blocked (I don`t know if its the correct expression, i'm spanish)

-About firewire, i can connect an external hard drive and my ibook, i havent tried to capture because my dvCamera is being repaired. USB also works.

Hi,

it took my computer (Amd x2 3800 2Ghz) 121 seconds to render with both cores enabled and 192 seconds with only one core enabled.

i will try to overcolck my cpu and bus and see how it does.

Kc Wayland, Day of the tentacle was the first game i palyed and it was awesome!! the second was Little Big Adventure... I have the original cds!... somewhere.. xDDD

Sweet, nice to see that the dual core really makes a difference!

Also, go here:

http://www.agamesroom.com/page/games/lucasarts/mme

You can play Maniac Mansion, Dott, and other great old games on the mac!

Glad to see my posts helped some people ;) I haven't edited HD on osx86 yet. I have just been working on standard def, and until 5.1 came out, I wouldn't really bother with HD yet. I knew the rosseta would probley die :) Now that I have a chance to, I will. How to capture it will be interesting. With the p2 cards on the HVX200, you don't have to worry about capturing. Going back out to d5... that's another story. Love to see what will happen with the HVX200s!

ALSO, SATA drives work on my system great! They are much faster than the standard IDE drives, even with 133. :)

Glad to see my posts helped some people :o I haven't edited HD on osx86 yet. I have just been working on standard def, and until 5.1 came out, I wouldn't really bother with HD yet. I knew the rosseta would probley die :star_smile: Now that I have a chance to, I will. How to capture it will be interesting. With the p2 cards on the HVX200, you don't have to worry about capturing. Going back out to d5... that's another story. Love to see what will happen with the HVX200s!

ALSO, SATA drives work on my system great! They are much faster than the standard IDE drives, even with 133. :whistle:

hey

post here asap if you do edit any hd/hdv and especially if you edit any hvx footage!

And did you get your SATA drive working straight away, or did you apply a patch or have to edit some files?

If so, how stable is it?

I do have an old 40gb IDE drive (about 4 years old, 5400rpms) that I can do the install on as a test, but I'm not sure it will be worth it because fcp might not run very fast off it (but at least I'll know it works before I blow money on a better IDE drive) The other thing is if I do get a new IDE drive, is there a spefic brand I need to get for OSX? Would a Seagate 160gb 8mb cache 7200rp, IDE ATA100 hdd be ok?

Can someone give me more info about this x2 problem? I have os x on a 160gb sata hard drive on Nforce4 working fine with an x2 4800+. What is this stuttering that people are talking about. My computer seems to be pretty smooth even without full graphics acceleration....

hey

post here asap if you do edit any hd/hdv and especially if you edit any hvx footage!

And did you get your SATA drive working straight away, or did you apply a patch or have to edit some files?

If so, how stable is it?

I do have an old 40gb IDE drive (about 4 years old, 5400rpms) that I can do the install on as a test, but I'm not sure it will be worth it because fcp might not run very fast off it (but at least I'll know it works before I blow money on a better IDE drive) The other thing is if I do get a new IDE drive, is there a spefic brand I need to get for OSX? Would a Seagate 160gb 8mb cache 7200rp, IDE ATA100 hdd be ok?

That Hard Drive will be fine. You don't need anything REALLY great. Although 7200 rpm is a must! As for the SATA< it worked native. No patching or anything. Running off of it now, and it runs fast and smooth! I edit video on firewire drives as well and the vid on the SATA is a tad faster!

-Kc

jigga420, forget what i said about sound, it works. You've got to enter the bios, goto PCIPnP Configuration, and enable the OS to configure PnP devices (First option in my bios - 1009).

now, i have sound!!! :thumbsdown_anim::gathering::blink:

how does one "preview" their effects in FCP without having to actually render them?

I just play the timeline and the effect will try and play in real time. With many effects it will give you a decent preview!

Very Cool!!

I was at a microcenter yesterday and played with a dual g5 tower that had the 5.0 version of final cut. They had a cool HD clip that I played with, had tones of edits and transitions.

I have a sony HC1 and recently started a edit of HD footage.

My hacintosh was alot faster! Scrubbing on my box is very smooth and the g5 was choppy and lagged a bit. I am a very happy boy.

E$