• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

mikeveli20

mikeveli20

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
I removed my IOPCIFamily.kext from the /System/Library/Extensions folder and before I could install a new one, my power went out and then when it came back and I restarted my computer I got a kernel panic relating to no IOPCIFamily.kext being there.

So I booted to the installation DVD (iDeneb 1.3) and opened up a terminal, but I can't seem to figure out how to do anything. I have my replacement IOPCIFamily.kext on my desktop but can't figure out how to move it to my System/Library/Extensions folder or to even access my hard drive for that matter. I tried accessing my hard drive by typing /dev/disk0s2 but it told me Permission Denied. I then tried repairing the permission on /dev/disk0s2 by typing diskutil repairPermissions /dev/disk0s2. The permissions repair seemed to work but I still get the same message when I try to access the drive.

Can someone help me get this file to where it needs to go and also let me know if there is a different procedure to install the kext once it's in the proper location since I'm running terminal from the install DVD. Thanks.

Lanceomni

Lanceomni

infinitemac.com (φοίνιξ) !

• Donators
  • 614 posts
Well you can try Single User Mode. Boot using -s

Once at the command prompt type:
/sbin/mount -uw /
You should now be in the root directory of your drive so you can install by doing the following

1. Give yourself root privileges so that you can modify files. I dont think you really need that in single user mode.
sudo -s
2. Change directories to your /S/L folder
cd /System/Library
3. Copy the kext from your desktop to your extensions folder Replacing MYKEXT with the name of yours.
cp -r ~/Desktop/MYKEXT.kext Extensions/MYKEXT.kext
4. Set the proper permissions for the extensions folder.
chmod -R 755 Extensions/
5. Set the proper ownership for the extensions folder.
chown -R root:wheel Extensions/
6. Touch the extensions folder
touch Extensions/
7. Remove the extensions cache to force OSX to rebuild it with our new kext.
rm -rf Extensions.mkext

8. Reboot using the boot-flags -v -f
-v Verbose Mode displays useful information during the boot process.
-f Forces OSX to load kexts from the extensions folder instead of the cache file. We did delete the cache file so this is just a precaution.

mikeveli20

mikeveli20

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
Single-User mode when booting from the CD:

I booted into single user mode using -s but I can only get as far as cd System/Library.

When I type in the next step it tells me,

cp: /var/root/Desktop/IOPCIFamily.kext: No such file or directory

Also, when in System/Library I typed in "ls" (minus the quotes) to get a directory list and it came up with some directories but the Desktop dir wasn't even listed. Neither was Extensions.

Single-User mode when booting from the HDD:

Can't even get to anywhere where I can type. There's a bunch of text talking about the missing IOPCIFamily.kext file etc. etc. and then at the bottom it says,

Mac OS Version:
Not yet set

Kernel version:
Darwin Kernel Version 9.6.0: Mon Nov 24 17:37:00 PST 2008; root:xnu-1228.9.59~1/RELEASE_I386

Underneath that is a white box and I can't type anything.

Logicpro9_user

Logicpro9_user

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts
Bump for this one! I have the same problem, but didnt keep the IOPCIFamily.kext on my HD at all! I deleted it by mistake!
How would I go about getting it from the install DVD now?

I am on ipc0sx86 PPF5

Bump for this one! I have the same problem, but didnt keep the IOPCIFamily.kext on my HD at all! I deleted it by mistake!
How would I go about getting it from the install DVD now?

I am on ipc0sx86 PPF5

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy