[GUIDE] Retail OS X Install (10.5.8) on Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 (Core i7) Mobo

digital_dreamer

3,054 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

Well, got my new computer today and I must say, it works beautifully with your script Digital_Dreamer! Your script really is a milestone in the progress of getting Mac OS X on the PC :).

But I have some questions/problems.

1) When the countdown of the Chameleon bootloader starts (to automatically start Macintosh), it's very slow (only after 15-17 seconds, Macintosh starts) altough I set the Timeout to 5 seconds :s....

2) I have an ATI Radeon 4870 XFX XXX graphics card, but my second DVI-D port AND my S-video port doesn't work. Only the first DVI-D does... For me, the S-video port is rather important because I have an (old) tv which I used to connect with the S-Video port to my old Hackintosh PC (with an Radeon X1950 pro).

3) My front audio ports don't work when I insert a headphone into them (I tried different audio outputs in the system preferences of Mac OS X).

I used your script (v. 3.91) on my old Hackintosh PC, used all the standard settings and patched my DSDT later on my new Hackintosh PC... What am I doing wrong :s....

I can say I am very happy with this card. I got a good deal on it on Newegg and, so far, it has worked flawlessly with Mac OS X (Leo + Snow Leo). It will be interesting to see if OpenCL will be supported on it with Snow. If this tool is right, looks like it will because it the card gets recognized as an OpenCL device...

Colddiver

Hi Colddiver

I plan on picking a new rig up on saturday. I Get to choose GTX 285, GTX 295 or HD 4890. Will the following specs work with OSX installed? I am asking cos you have the GTX285 in your rig

Gigabyte GA-X58-UD5 motherboard (Ultra Durable 3, Intel X58-UD5 chipset, RAID)

12 GB DDR3 TriChannel(1333MHz)

1.2 TB harddisk (2. Seagate 640 S-ATAII 3Gb/s 32mb)

Nvidia GTX285 or GTX295 or HD4890

8 kanals HD audio codec ALC889a Dolby (SoundBlaster komp.)

Pioneer Blu-Ray Combo BDC-202BK BluRay/DVD Burner

100/1000 Mb/s Realtek 8111 Gigabit LAN

If Yes, should I follow EFI retail method or DD's Script

Thanks

I'm also getting a corrupted CMOS after every restart of Snow Leopard.

You will need to decompile your DSDT.aml using a tool like iASLMe. Once decompiled, you need to change the length of the RTC device from 4 to 2 bu editing the following code snipet:

Device (RTC)
			{
				Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0B00"))
				Name (ATT0, ResourceTemplate ()
				{
					IO (Decode16,
						0x0070,			 // Range Minimum
						0x0070,			 // Range Maximum
						0x00,			   // Alignment
						0x04,			   // Length
						)
				})
				Name (ATT1, ResourceTemplate ()
				{
					IO (Decode16,
						0x00,			   // Alignment
						0x04,			   // Length
						)
				})

In the above code, you need to change the 0x04 length values to 0x02 (both values). Once this is done, you have to recompile your DSDT and copy to your /Extra folder.

The latest version of DD's script is supposed to do this automatically for you...

Hi Colddiver

I plan on picking a new rig up on saturday. I Get to choose GTX 285, GTX 295 or HD 4890. Will the following specs work with OSX installed? I am asking cos you have the GTX285 in your rig

Gigabyte GA-X58-UD5 motherboard (Ultra Durable 3, Intel X58-UD5 chipset, RAID)

12 GB DDR3 TriChannel(1333MHz)

1.2 TB harddisk (2. Seagate 640 S-ATAII 3Gb/s 32mb)

Nvidia GTX285 or GTX295 or HD4890

8 kanals HD audio codec ALC889a Dolby (SoundBlaster komp.)

Pioneer Blu-Ray Combo BDC-202BK BluRay/DVD Burner

100/1000 Mb/s Realtek 8111 Gigabit LAN

If Yes, should I follow EFI retail method or DD's Script

Thanks

The build in my signature is the only build I did so far. I thus don't have any experiences with ATI cards. What I can tell you is that my GTX285 works very well both with 10.5 and 10.6 using an EFI string (I followed the instruction posted here). Under 10.5, I had to install the nVidia drivers available here. Under 10.6, I didn't install any 3rd party drivers and everything works fine. DD's script will install a graphic kext (ATY_Init.kext) that will work with the GTX285 (although you may not get full speed). I have no experience with the GTX295 nor the HD4890 so I can't comment on those.

As for the rest, on-board audio works fine in 10.5 but not in 10.6 (64-bit). Make sure your DVD burner is SATA. Avoid using the GSATA ports (use only the Intel SATA ports. The on-board LAN is problematic on these board. It works but eventually disappear. It is not well supported in 10.6 yet (I believe some manage to make it work in 32-bit). I bought as Apple USB Ethernet Adapter instead and this works better for me. You have to install 3rd party drivers under 10.5 since the kext are only available on the MacBook Air. Drivers for 10.5 can be found here. Under 10.6, everything works out of the box.

Once in a while (usually after 1-2 weeks of no reboots), my system will restart without warning. I believe this is related to the onboard LAN disappearance problem. When this happen, I simply shut down, turn the power supply off for a minute and restart.

As for the memory, some have reported problems with some brands. I'm using 12 gigs of Corsair TR3X6G1600C8 with the XMP profile enabled in the BIOS (to get the 1600 speed) and everything is running smoothly.

I would highly recommend using DD's script if you have limited experiences with this. This will get you going quickly and will allow you to familiarize yourself with the whole hackintosh thing. You can always elect to move to EFI later on.

I would also highly recommend you setup a maintenance drive. I have a 200 Gig drive that I split in 3 partitions. On this drive, I installed 10.6 and I also keep a 10.5. This drive has its own bootloader so if I screw something up, I can always boot from it to recover my main drive. The 3rd partition is used to experiment with other OSes. As an example, I used this 3rd partition to install the the latest build of Snow Leopard. When everything ran smoothly, I simply erased my 1st partition (where my old Snow was installed) and used Carbon Copy Cloner to move the new install from the 3rd to the 1st partition (and then reinstalled the bootloader).

Hope this helps...

Colddiver

You will need to decompile your DSDT.aml using a tool like iASLMe. Once decompiled, you need to change the length of the RTC device from 4 to 2 bu editing the following code snipet:

Device (RTC)
			{
				{
					IO (Decode16,
						0x00,			   // Alignment
						0x04,			   // Length
						)
				})
				{
					IO (Decode16,
						0x00,			   // Alignment
						0x04,			   // Length
						)
				})

In the above code, you need to change the 0x04 length values to 0x02 (both values). Once this is done, you have to recompile your DSDT and copy to your /Extra folder.

The latest version of DD's script is supposed to do this automatically for you...

Ok thanks, I'll try it out and report back the results.

Device (RTC)
			 {
				 {
					 IO (Decode16,
						 0x00,			   // Alignment
						 0x04,			   // Length
						 )
				 })
				 {
					 IO (Decode16,
						 0x00,			   // Alignment
						 0x04,			   // Length
						 )
				 })

The build in my signature is the only build I did so far. I thus don't have any experiences with ATI cards. What I can tell you is that my GTX285 works very well both with 10.5 and 10.6 using an EFI string (I followed the instruction posted here). Under 10.5, I had to install the nVidia drivers available here. Under 10.6, I didn't install any 3rd party drivers and everything works fine. DD's script will install a graphic kext (ATY_Init.kext) that will work with the GTX285 (although you may not get full speed). I have no experience with the GTX295 nor the HD4890 so I can't comment on those.

As for the rest, on-board audio works fine in 10.5 but not in 10.6 (64-bit). Make sure your DVD burner is SATA. Avoid using the GSATA ports (use only the Intel SATA ports. The on-board LAN is problematic on these board. It works but eventually disappear. It is not well supported in 10.6 yet (I believe some manage to make it work in 32-bit). I bought as Apple USB Ethernet Adapter instead and this works better for me. You have to install 3rd party drivers under 10.5 since the kext are only available on the MacBook Air. Drivers for 10.5 can be found here. Under 10.6, everything works out of the box.

Once in a while (usually after 1-2 weeks of no reboots), my system will restart without warning. I believe this is related to the onboard LAN disappearance problem. When this happen, I simply shut down, turn the power supply off for a minute and restart.

As for the memory, some have reported problems with some brands. I'm using 12 gigs of Corsair TR3X6G1600C8 with the XMP profile enabled in the BIOS (to get the 1600 speed) and everything is running smoothly.

I would highly recommend using DD's script if you have limited experiences with this. This will get you going quickly and will allow you to familiarize yourself with the whole hackintosh thing. You can always elect to move to EFI later on.

I would also highly recommend you setup a maintenance drive. I have a 200 Gig drive that I split in 3 partitions. On this drive, I installed 10.6 and I also keep a 10.5. This drive has its own bootloader so if I screw something up, I can always boot from it to recover my main drive. The 3rd partition is used to experiment with other OSes. As an example, I used this 3rd partition to install the the latest build of Snow Leopard. When everything ran smoothly, I simply erased my 1st partition (where my old Snow was installed) and used Carbon Copy Cloner to move the new install from the 3rd to the 1st partition (and then reinstalled the bootloader).

Hope this helps...

Colddiver

A big thanks for sharing your experience, The DVD uses the Serial ATA Revision 1.0a so I am safe in that area. I ordered the rig a few hrs ago and chose the GTX285 so I sure hope I can get everything working when I get it. Will contact you again if I run into any major problems that I can't fix.

Cheers

Cruisar

Hey all.

I heard that there is a big issue hackintoshers experience Kernel Panic when more than 3.5GB RAM is used

They solve it with "maxmem=3072" string fix, which basically limits the RAM usage to 3GB RAM

This is not acceptable since I plan to ran 12GB RAM Leopard.

I don't have access to the GA-X58-UD5 rig I built. so please can anyone try to load some programs and check to see if this dreadful scenario happens with this mobo and DD's script?

I have coleagues and people wint me to build them i7 hackintoshes - this is a basic thing each editor\videographer needs!

thanks!

Hey all.

I heard that there is a big issue hackintoshers experience Kernel Panic when more than 3.5GB RAM is used

They solve it with "maxmem=3072" string fix, which basically limits the RAM usage to 3GB RAM

I don't have access to the GA-X58-UD5 rig I built. so please can anyone try to load some programs and check to see if this dreadful scenario happens with this mobo and DD's script?

I have coleagues and people wint me to build them i7 hackintoshes - this is a basic thing each editor\videographer needs!

thanks!

I have 6 GB using 10.5.7 and have experience no problems over the 2 weeks that I have been using the board.

I'll be installing CS4 later this week (have a project due next Tuesday) so I'll see if it works or not.

Haven't been able to get the DSDT patcher to work on my MSI X58M. I've tried several different patchers about 3 different times. The file it gives me does nothing, still get KP without CPUS=1.

If I edit the .dsl file and remove the cpu alias lines and recompile the file causes the machine to reboot.

Any ideas?

Thanks

<SNIP>

This is only a problem when using the GA/JMicron IDE controller. There are >4GB patches for that controller, too, if you look in the ATA forums.

However, if you are all SATA, there are no issues, AFAIK.

regards,

MAJ

I have 6 GB using 10.5.7 and have experience no problems over the 2 weeks that I have been using the board.

I'll be installing CS4 later this week (have a project due next Tuesday) so I'll see if it works or not.

And I have 12 gigs and didn't experience a single kernel panic with 10.5.7 and 10.6 GM.

Colddiver

:P

Thanks you all! Love this mobo - love this thread and to you digital dreamer! - please I want to donate!

I installed a system to a collegue and he paid me $$ for it - I wouldt have done this without your help. so please let me give something back - Also I think other people around here (speciely the ones that make money from their GA-X58 Hackintosh should donate too!

:thumbsup_anim:

I have a UD5 with 6Gb of RAM with no issue

But as said DD, I am not using the JMicron Sata connecteors. My 4 drives (3HDD + 1DVDR) are plugged on the ICH10 Sata connectors.

By the way, 32-bit (Carbon) applications cannot see (and thus use) more than 4Gb or RAM...

There is an article about this problem with final cut pro on Apple support site: http://support.apple.com/kb/TA27734

Device (RTC)
			{
				{
					IO (Decode16,
						0x00,			   // Alignment
						0x04,			   // Length
						)
				})
				{
					IO (Decode16,
						0x00,			   // Alignment
						0x04,			   // Length
						)
				})

Thanks, this worked for me to fix the CMOS reset issue. I did an iasl -sa dsdt.dsl to generate the dsdt.aml file and placed it in the /Extra folder of the Snow Leopard install.

Some other observations:

- The Realtekr1000.kext works to enable networking on this board, but only when booting Snow Leopard in 32-bit mode.

- The VoodooHDA.kext included in the modified Snow Leopard script works for analog output, but not digital. I know its not any of you issue but if anyone sees a kext that works with digital output, I would be interested in getting it.

I'm going through an installation problem. I have 3 HDD's, 1 for Kaly, 1 for Windows, and 1 for OS X. I had the system running before but somehow messed up a file and was unable to boot back into OSX. I'm trying to do a clean install over again, I'm not sure if I'm missing something but when I run DD's script all goes well until the installation. Around the 13 mins left mark a gray screen comes down asking me to restart. Then I partitioned that drive again to reattempt and the same message resurfaced. I tried about 4 times last night.

PS. I wasn't able to get up here last night to download the "motherboard kext" to my desktop, not sure if that is whats hindering my process but any help is greatly appreciated

:D

Thanks you all! Love this mobo - love this thread and to you digital dreamer! - please I want to donate!

I installed a system to a collegue and he paid me $ for it - I wouldt have done this without your help. so please let me give something back - Also I think other people around here (speciely the ones that make money from their GA-X58 Hackintosh should donate too!

;)

טוב מאוד

Anybody want to try my USB stick image for GA-EX58-UD5 for Snowleopard 10.6 Build 10A432?

You can download it here: http://www.snowx86.com/downloads/Boot.dmg

I've never done this before, but I think you should be able to restore this image on a USB stick with Disk Utility.

What's working:

- GA-EX85-UD5

- Sound with DSDT patch found in this thread (thanks Aschar)

- ATI cards (ATY_init by Netkas)

- Ethernet

- Reboot / Shutdown (didn't try sleep)

Don't forget this step:

ATTENTION!

Don't boot into Snow Leopard yet, but go to Single User mode by typing:

-x32 -s

When you are in the console, type this:

/sbin/fsck -fy

/sbin/mnt -uw /

kextcache -v 1 -t -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions/

Hi Aschar,

I read your post about the sound problem in snow leopard/10.5.8 and I tried to modify my DSDT patch, but in whatever way i modify it, my headphones don't work (but work in 10.5.7). Do you want to tell me what i exactly need to modify in the DSDT patch?

Also, does anybody know why the countdown at the chameleon boot screen takes so long (about 20 seconds) while in my boot.plist the timeout key is 5 seconds?

What's working:

- GA-EX85-UD5

- Sound with DSDT patch found in this thread (thanks Aschar)

- ATI cards (ATY_init by Netkas)

- Ethernet

- Reboot / Shutdown (didn't try sleep)

Do you have on-board ethernet in 64 bit mode?

Awesome guide!

Looks ill be going to microcenter to pick up the UD5 and the 920 :(

I would like to add my experience with the Gigabyte EX58-UD5 and the Intel Quad Core i7 920.

I build the system from scratch with a Cooler Master Cosmos 1000 case and their 900 watt UCP power supply.

Installed the UD5 and 920 CPU initially with the Intel cooler fan. Installed 4 GB DDR3 RAM initially while I was trying to get this to work.

I chose to use Digital Dreamer's script method to build the boot disk on a Macintosh computer running 10.5.7. I struggled until I realized the importance of using GUID formatting instead of the Apple Partition Map used on G5-G4 computers. I finally used and ran the latest modified DD script on a MacBook Pro and that built a boot disk with Chameleon 2.0 RC2 successfully. It finally booted up 10.5.7 and was I happy about that.

From that time on I added a BluRay burner (SATA) and 12 GB DDR3 1600 RAM (2x6) slots on the UD5 MoBoard. Last thing was to replace the Intel cooling fan with a Corsair Hydro H50 integrated water cooling system.

Make sure that the BIOS is set up correctly and I installed the latest BIOS version f8f onto the UD5.

Once I learned all the little "gotchas" it worked like a breeze! Credit goes to James Mason of www.buildahackintosh.com for all the tireless help he sent me over the weeks I struggled to make this system work. In addition, Digital Dreamer has been a very GREAT help in answering some of those questions as well. Thank you ALL!

ArkaPro,

Same board. 6GB. Using ICH10 SATA ports in AHCI for hard drives. Have one JMicron port in IDE mode for optical (was AHCI, but forgot to change it back after BIOS update F8H). The load testing software in your referenced thread wasn't available and I don't have any of the BIG apps, so...

I ran memtest via rember and asked it to allocate all available memory (after killing that mds hog and closing other apps):

-----

Memtest version 4.2 (64-bit)

Copyright © 2004 Charles Cazabon

Copyright © 2004, 2005, 2006 Tony Scaminaci (Macintosh ports)

Licensed under the GNU General Public License version 2 only

Mac OS X 10.5.7 (9J61) running in single user mode

Memory Page Size: 4096

System has 8 Intel processor(s) with SSE

Requested memory: 3998MB (4192886784 bytes)

Available memory: 3998MB (4192886784 bytes)

NOTE: Memory request is too large, reducing to acceptable value...

Allocated memory: 3886MB (4075485952 bytes) at local address 0x0000000101000000

Attempting memory lock... locked successfully

Partitioning memory into 2 comparison buffers...

Buffer A: 1943MB (2037742976 bytes) starts at local address 0x0000000101000000

Buffer B: 1943MB (2037742976 bytes) starts at local address 0x000000017a757d80

-----

Activity monitor showed it using 3.8GB of real memory in 64bit mode. My lovely green pie slice (free) turned all red (wired) and one of my cores pegged. The memtest completed just fine and there was no kernel panic. I am running with DD's script version 3.91 with the standard SATA/IDE kexts that are enabled by default. I don't know if this is a true test, but it was interesting to try.

Good luck.

So, what is the word on donations? The answer seems oddly elusive. DD, your script is a piece of art and saved me from going with that commercial alternative. Sure, you deserve a heartfelt thanks - but how about a few bucks? Or, even my GTS 250 (which gives me an excuse to buy a 285!)? ;-)

Hey all.

I don't have access to the GA-X58-UD5 rig I built. so please can anyone try to load some programs and check to see if this dreadful scenario happens with this mobo and DD's script?...

ArkaPro,

I ran memtest via rember and asked it to allocate all available memory (after killing that mds hog and closing other apps):

Activity monitor showed it using 3.8GB of real memory in 64bit mode. My lovely green pie slice (free) turned all red (wired) and one of my cores pegged. The memtest completed just fine and there was no kernel panic. I am running with DD's script version 3.91 with the standard SATA/IDE kexts that are enabled by default. I don't know if this is a true test, but it was interesting to try.

Good luck.

Shouldn't the MemTest allocate 6GB of your RAM?

So, what is the word on donations? The answer seems oddly elusive. DD, your script is a piece of art and saved me from going with that commercial alternative. Sure, you deserve a heartfelt thanks - but how about a few bucks? Or, even my GTS 250 (which gives me an excuse to buy a 285!)? ;-)

Come on Digital Dreamer What about donating PPL want to give something back!?

Shouldn't the MemTest allocate 6GB of your RAM?

Hey ArkaPro,

memtest is a program like any other, so it can only grab what isn't being used (minus a little bit due to some issue I don't recall). I ran it with OS X fully loaded. If I were to run it in single user mode, it would be able to grab much more RAM - albeit, never all the RAM. However, I'm not sure if a pass in single user would translate to success with the OS fully running.

Over the weekend, I'll try it in single user for curiosity's sake.

Cheers,

Lyle

I've been trying to reinstall OSX but I keep getting the "restart your computer" 3/4 of the installation. I'm thinking and I'm hoping someone can answer this. I have kaly installed on a MBR ATA drive, because I'm installing from that ATA drive is that what is causing complications to install to a SATA drive? or perhaps maybe disk position?