Acer Aspire One A150: iPC OSx86 10.5.6

Redliner

175 posts in this topic

Good question,

I test most of the new releases on my desktop hakintosh, iPC installed in litterally 6 minutes flat, has far more than enough options, and ~pcwiz can be trusted to support his work and to continue improving it. The reason why i decided to make a guide using iPC is that it is already at 10.5.6, the voodoo kernel works great in this package, and things like Chun Nan's battery meter fixes are included... therefore it requires the least work after the install is complete... and it runs more quickly... and so far more stable. My desktop worked on the 1st try and only needed nvinstaller after the initial installation. idk... just seemed like the the release to use. :)

Good question,

I test most of the new releases on my desktop hakintosh, iPC installed in litterally 6 minutes flat, has far more than enough options, and ~pcwiz can be trusted to support his work and to continue improving it. The reason why i decided to make a guide using iPC is that it is already at 10.5.6, the voodoo kernel works great in this package, and things like Chun Nan's battery meter fixes are included... therefore it requires the least work after the install is complete... and it runs more quickly... and so far more stable. My desktop worked on the 1st try and only needed nvinstaller after the initial installation. idk... just seemed like the the release to use. ;)

Well..I'm realy happy with xXx 10.5.6 on my AAO...since it has more support (special Audio + Video for AAO included, all the other drivers you need...). It also is fast and stable...anyways...I think both (iPC and xXx) are in the Performance the same...but I don't know it exactly...just a guess..

This tutorial is great and looks easy to follow. I've ordered a Dell wireless card from ebay, as per the OPs suggestion.

There's just a couple of questions I have - I have Windows XP already installed on my AAO, is it just a matter or resizing that partition and activating is? (I really need to be able to Dual boot.) Does iPC's Chameleon boot manager automatically pick up Windows and list it as a bootable OS?

Secondly, could you expand on this:

2.) You may use either the smbios enabler (AppleSMBIOSEFI ) or SticMAC's™ patched AppleSMBIOS.kext... Please do not use both!!! The main difference is that th AppleSMBIOS.kext will show the Hackintosh as a Macbook.

I've reread the thread a few times and I'm still not getting it.

This tutorial is great and looks easy to follow. I've ordered a Dell wireless card from ebay, as per the OPs suggestion.

There's just a couple of questions I have - I have Windows XP already installed on my AAO, is it just a matter or resizing that partition and activating is? (I really need to be able to Dual boot.) Does iPC's Chameleon boot manager automatically pick up Windows and list it as a bootable OS?

Secondly, could you expand on this:

I've reread the thread a few times and I'm still not getting it.

If you use the smbios enabler (AppleSMBIOSEFI ), it will read the current vanilla AppleSMBIOS.kext and you will have your machine show up as a Mac or Mac Pro in the "about this Mac"

If you use mine, "SticMAC's™ patched AppleSMBIOS.kext", this comes from AvN, with some mods, it will actually show up as a MacBook, the serial number it shows is actually my Aspire's serial number!(there a small edit to be able to change it)

Other than that there is no difference! So the coice is yours i just like that it shows up on my other machines as a Macbook, including the little icons and NOT as a Mac Pro!

SticMAC

Windows partitions don't like to be resized in my experience with linux.

To be honest partition based dual-booting has never been my thing... I use 2 seperate hard drives in my desktop... and hit F10 at boot to change the OS. (defaulting to Mac of course)

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't you have to use MBR to dual boot? MBR wouldn't let you use true vannilla in my experience either.

sorry i'm not much help :\

Wahey! I got this running last night - sound kexts didn't work initially, but I then downloaded Stic Mac's audio fix from a seperate archive and it worked fine.

Only issues I'm having is the fan running continually. a1ctl on windows works brilliantly, but I haven't come across a working Mac equivalent.

Tips for getting the touchpad to be more "Mac" like would be appreciated, feels too fast and unaccurate. Is scrolling easily enabled? I don't have any options in System Prefs.

I edited the .plist and added in cpus=2, how can I be sure I've installed the voodoo kernel?

Additionally, is there a fool proof way of running Software Update?

Xbench score is 49.06.

Dual boot is working great too - just hitting F8 on boot brings up a text menu, I will investigate a graphical approach at some time.

Tips for getting the touchpad to be more "Mac" like would be appreciated, feels too fast and unaccurate. Is scrolling easily enabled? I don't have any options in System Prefs.

I've noticed the Keyboard Prefpane doesn't install right. Even when you select the 10.5.5. In 10.5.6 there is a seperate Trackpad prefpane, this doesn't work with the AA0. You can install the 10.5.5 prefpane manually. Download it here and copy it to /System/Library/PreferencePanes/ Now you can adjust the trackpad settings.

I edited the .plist and added in cpus=2, how can I be sure I've installed the voodoo kernel?

In terminal enter "uname -v"

Additionally, is there a fool proof way of running Software Update?

No, although in experience you can install everything except the large system updates (10.5.n --> 10.5.n+1). No guarantees!

Thx, volsk! updating guide!

hmm... what's the difference between

uname -a

and

uname -v

(dont have my mac with me at the moment)

-a gives you all information it's equivalent to -mnrsv

-v prints complete kernel information

In my case the only difference is -a also gives the computername

Only issues I'm having is the fan running continually. a1ctl on windows works brilliantly, but I haven't come across a working Mac equivalent.

Try renaming* the AppleCPUthermo.kext and AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext (change the .kext part to something else like "*.imzzz")

*renaming is the same as deleting, only you can restore them without having to pull them out of the directory.

I'm going off on trip, i leave today in a bout 5 hours. and i won't likely get back on here for a couple days. best of luck to everyone :)

Try renaming* the AppleCPUthermo.kext and AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext (change the .kext part to something else like "*.imzzz")

What good would that do? My guess is it would only disable Powermanagement options and therefore setting the fans to 100%

btw, have a nice trip

What good would that do? My guess is it would only disable Powermanagement options and therefore setting the fans to 100%

btw, have a nice trip

from what i've read removing them can help since they aren't really supported by non-macs... and i think that most computers have built in hardware control that would take over instead of the faulty software (once removed)

otherwise...idk... i'm probably wrong.

I'm getting a kernel panic when I click shutdown now. Something about a HDA kext - I'll take a photo later. I can shut down by terminal doing a sudo shutdown -h now. That's not ideal though...

Installed my dell wireless card now, absolutely loving this little thing. OS X and Expose is so well suited to a netbook!

i"m kinda back, but not really... the kernel panic is something to the effect of "applehda.kext cannot release regitry dependancies to the kernel" or something like that... and it doesn't happen every time, but quite often. to me it's a tiny price to pay for autoswitching and internal mic working!!! I mean come on now, i spent $340!!! and i'm running OS X!!!

I'm getting a kernel panic when I click shutdown now. Something about a HDA kext - I'll take a photo later. I can shut down by terminal doing a sudo shutdown -h now. That's not ideal though...

I had the same problem. If I remember correctly I fixed it by removing the Extensions.mkext and reinstall the audio kexts.

Maybe

sudo -s

rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

touch /System/Library/Extensions

reboot

suffice.

Hi, I am very new to OSX86. so bare with me.

Could someone list what the contents of /System/Library/Extensions should look like?

In my error I installed a bunch of kexts that are doing nothing but causing headaches, I finally got the video right but I am struggling getting the sound to work.

Many thanks

best bet is to reinstall buddy, sorry.

Oh dear that terminal!!!! :)

Actually I was thinking the same, I managed to get a bunch of things working but the sd slot and the sound are proving to be tricky.

Can I clarify something first? sound do I install any drivers for that at all, it is crossed out (step 17) not sure what to do there.

Infact is 'if in doubt leave them out' a rule to go with when it comes to kexts?

Thanks in advance.

everything is good, boots very fast... except -

i have the voodoo 9.6.0 kernel for some reason and need the seatbelt.kext for 10.5.6 - i can't mount any .dmg files - i tried the combo update from apple but its a .dmg, and of course, i can't mount it - the system hangs...

any help? not sure what i did wrong, i haven't updated anything except install the .kexts from the first post...

thanks