Acer Aspire One A150: iPC OSx86 10.5.6

Redliner

175 posts in this topic

Hello my fellow Insanelymac friends :(

I've been having a very hard time with a few things on my Aspire one... and I've gotten tired of not having been able to go find a guide for the iPC 10.5.6 distro...

Note: I used the original iPC distro with no *.pffs

Note_2: The iPC release uses Chameleon/PC_EFI 9 by default.

Note_3: I do not cover wireless in this guide. Personally I purchased a Dell wireless card off ebay that doesn't need any extra kexts (same card as in macbook pro) :P

I'm going to try to over explain, however it's so amazingly simple :P

*It is highly recommended that you update to the latest bios*

^^see attached files for the 3309 bios file (guide is in the readme) :D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Pre-Installation Notes:

1.)THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH SticMAC™ for the custom AppleHDA fix!!!!

--Working internal Mic!!!

--Working autoswitching!!!

2.) You may use either the smbios enabler (AppleSMBIOSEFI ) or SticMAC's™ patched AppleSMBIOS.kext... Please do not use both!!! The main difference is that th AppleSMBIOS.kext will show the Hackintosh as a Macbook.

3.) If you choose to not use the 9.5.0 Voodoo Kernel and go with Vanilla you must use the boot flag

cpus=1

4.) The 9.5.0 Voodoo Kernel requires the 10.5.5 seatbelt.kext; for some reason using the iPC patch did not work on multiple attempts... that is why I have attached the one that I know works for me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1.) Boot your burned iPC release via external disc drive

2.) Select you language

3.) Go up to Utilities and open Disk Utility

4.) Highlight the hard disk (not the partition!)

5.) Click partition

6.) Select & name the partion(s)... I use one partition & I call mine MacHD (no spaces)

7.) Click Options

8.) Select GUID (GPT)

9.) Click OK

9.) Apple format to Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

11.) Close Disk Utility once it completes

12.) Skip ahead, select the hard disk/partition that you want to install to, and click continue

13.) Click Customize (lower left hand corner)

14.) Make sure that the iPC OSx86 Base System is checked

15.) Select desired Language Translations

16.) Select Kernels> 9.5.0 Voodoo Kernel

17.) Select Drivers> Audio Drivers> ALC268 (NOT Comatron)

18.) Select Drivers> Ethernet Drivers> Realtek R1000

19.) Select Drivers> Power Management> AppleACPIBatteryManager (chun-nan's)

20.) Fixes and Patches> PS/2 Device Support> PS/2 Keyboard Fix

21.) Fixes and Patches> AppleSMBIOS Patch> AppleSMBIOSEFI (or use the attached AppleSMBIOS.kext with Kext Helper)

22.) Select your desired applications (make sure to include Kext Helper b7, OSx86 Tools Utility, and EFI-Studio)

23.) Click Done and then Install :)

24.) Upon successful install, follow the setup prompts.

25.) Once at the desktop open Kext Helper b7

26.) Drag the kexts*: HDAEnabler.kext, AppleHDA.kext, AppleIntegratedFramebuffer.kext, AppleIntelGMA950.kext, Natit.kext, and Seatbelt.kext into Kext Helper

27.) Type in your password and click Easy Install

28.) Restart

29.) Make sure that the audio output is set to internal speakers. Ha ha! no need! Autoswitching!!!

30.) Change your Display resolution Should automaticly set to 1024x600 upon restart :)

31.) Open OSx86 Tools Utility and enable Quartz GL (optional)

32.) Run the OSx86 Tools Utility repair scripts

33.) Under Energy Saver, disable sleep.

You should be good to go :)

Other Fixes/Tools:

How to get the SD card Reader working :D

How to remove unwanted Menu Bar icons (ie: the eject icon in the upper right hand corner)

iSlayer system monitor apps: iStat Nano, iStat Pro, & iStat Menus... pick your favorite :P

ArtGUIScale Widget- See more of the screen! Useful for apps like Photobooth (Link is for release info, google for it)

Performance boost using the 9.5.0 Voodoo Kernel with "cpus=2" (that's where i first saw it mentioned... it does in fact give a higher xbench!)

-Add cpus=2 to com.apple.boot.plist like this:

<key>Kernel Flags<key><BR><string>cpus=2</string>

Full Trackpad options using the 10.5.5 keyboard.prefpane, again thx goes to volsk!

I've noticed the Keyboard Prefpane doesn't install right. Even when you select the 10.5.5. In 10.5.6 there is a seperate Trackpad prefpane, this doesn't work with the AA0. You can install the 10.5.5 prefpane manually. Download it here and copy it to /System/Library/PreferencePanes/ Now you can adjust the trackpad settings.

Hibernation upon closing lid:

How to enable Deep Sleep / Hibernation
  • At installation select Drivers > Power Management > Clamshell Display Support (optional for hibernation at closing lid)
  • Download and install SmartSleep
  • Set SmartSleep to Hibernation Only
  • Disable Secure Virtual Memory --> System Preferences --> Security
  • Reboot and your all set.

Note: This is tested to work with the latest Chameleon and Voodoo Kernel

Known bugs: Sound is gone after wake

With earlier versions of Chameleon sometimes it won't wake. At boot you can enter the boot option "-nowake" to bypass wake and boot normally. In OS X remove /var/vm/sleepimage.

thx for the post, volsk :) (get ClamshellDisplay.kext bellow...use Kext Helper!)

^Note on why I left the ClamshellDisplay.kext out of the original install: if you close the lid without hibernation enabled you will have a kernel panic when it tries to go into regular sleep.

*UPDATE* March 22nd

A user has pointed out that the attached video kext does NOT support monitor output... HOWEVER... the kext "GMA950_output working_tearing" does. choose it only if you must have output... or use both kexts and alternate them.

*Download the kexts attached bellow or use SticMAC's Mediafire Link

!!!Use either the AppleSMBIOSEFI patcher durring install or SMBIOS.kext after install!!!

!!!DO NOT USE BOTH!!!

GMA_950_0x27ae.zip

10.5.5_seatbelt.kext.zip

SticMAC_s_Audio_fix.zip

AppleSMBIOS.kext.zip

A150_3309_bios_update_and_guide.zip

ClamshellDisplay.kext.zip

GMA950_output_working_tearing.zip

ADDED: The iPC OSx86 10.5.6 release installs the latest Chameleon/PC_EFI 9 botloader by default. You are not required to used DSDT patching or to used the other optional modified Chameleon bootloaders.

I have not tested Deep Sleep -if that is what you are talking about, however if you are talking about Deep Sleep it makes sense that after waking the audio kexts might not reload, maybe we should try to work on an EFI audio string (which would be loaded upon waking)

The iPC OSx86 10.5.6 distrobution installs the latest Chameleon/EFI botloader by default. You are not required to used DSDT patching or to used the other modified Chameleon bootloaders.

I have not tested Deep Sleep -if that is what you are talking about, however if you are talking about Deep Sleep it makes sense that after waking the audio kexts might not reload, maybe we should try to work on an EFI audio string (which would be loaded upon waking)

That would be very nice. I would like to help create an audio string. Do you have some tips? I have done some reading. And do I understand it correctly we wouldn't need any extra kexts if we could make an EFI string? Where should we start?

Maybe I should specify the problem first. Indeed I mean Deep Sleep. It sleeps and wakes perfectly with PC EFI 9 (and the ClamshellDisplay.kext). The sound is not completly gone, but almost. On internal speakers I hear nothing. But when I plug in headphones the sound is there but very, very soft. As there is sound maybe it is not e reloading problem, right?

I have an EFI string, but how do I test wether is works? It should work with an original appleHDA.kext and without enableHDA.kext? Do you have an original appleHDA.kext 10.5.6 to test?

You need a "Injector" to get rid of the blue screen and to get it working!

The Zip file contains:

Natit.kext to get it to work even on two screens,

AppleIntelGMA950.kext, AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext, from the original post

AppleHDA.kext, HDAEnabler.kext, this AppleHDA will give you autoswitching between headphones and internal speakers AND a working internal microphone!

AppleSMBIOS.kext, that will profile your machine in "About this Mac" as a MacBook. You do not need to install any SMBIOS enabler during the initial install....

Also if you install the Voodoo kernel as described in the original post there is also a seatbelt.kext that you can install during your setup under patches, or you can use the one from the first post(they're the same)

SticMAC

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?n3umzkenxen

I did a clean install using this tutorial. After installation of these graphics drivers I end up with nice blue screen...

I did a clean install using this tutorial. After installation of these graphics drivers I end up with nice blue screen...

3 questions:

1.) did you choose anything different on the guide? if so, what did you choose?

2.) did you perchance mess with anything else the same boot as when you did the graphics fix?

3.) did you use Kext Helper b7

I've used that exact method and those exact kexts at least 5 times.

~EDIT~

I know what i did wrong!

i chose the GMA950 from the iPC install... but the GMA950 isn't the right one for the aspire one, so it didn't work until i replaced those two kexts... natit.kext was already there/// phail_me.

3 questions:

1.) did you choose anything different on the guide? if so, what did you choose?

2.) did you perchance mess with anything else the same boot as when you did the graphics fix?

3.) did you use Kext Helper b7

I've used that exact method and those exact kexts at least 5 times.

1.) Yes, I did not install any audio drivers to test EFI strings. But I haven't come to that point yet.

2.) Nope, not yet.

3.) Yes.

Don't I also need natit.kext?

Solved it using an injector (didn't read SticMACs post <-- shame on me)

:wacko:;):thumbsup_anim::thumbsup_anim::thumbsup_anim::thumbsup_anim:

feel free to stick the AppleHDA.kext in too! (I made it myself)

S

ps, editing edits are GREAT!!!

I'm using the iPC Final not the Beta Public patched to PFF5, maybe, just maybe something is wro............?

That said, yours or iPC's both work for me!

yes. I'm about to update the attached file.

feel free to stick the AppleHDA.kext in too! (I made it myself)

Where can I get it? So far I've been losing sound after hibernation in all distro's. (Losing meaning extremly soft on headphones and none on internal speakers.

Losing the sound after sleep is normal it is the way the "original" AppleHDA.kext was written, so even mine adaptation will not solve your problem! I merely adapted it to the correct outputs and with someone else's help, got the got the auto switching working!

SticMAC

Where can I get it? So far I've been losing sound after hibernation in all distro's. (Losing meaning extremly soft on headphones and none on internal speakers.

Losing the sound after sleep is normal it is the way the "original" AppleHDA.kext was written, so even mine adaptation will not solve your problem! I merely adapted it to the correct outputs and with someone else's help, got the got the auto switching working!

SticMAC

Thanks! I've already been using it in previous distro's. It works great

What do you mean with it was written that way? I never noticed my MacBook losing sound...

Could we find a solution?

so would pursuing efi audio be the only possible fix for loosing sound after deep sleep? or could we add something to the wake procedure like an -f command?

The main problem is, an still remains(even for Taruga) that the node mapping derived from either a "linux dump" or the Graphical mapping done on another posting in this forum, does NOT correspond with the actual node mapping of the device! I took me literally 4 days to configure and set the current outputs! Believe me there are about 20 guys working and issues with ALC / AD chipsets and everybody is batteling!

I also have a AppleHDA.kext that will give you acces to the "plugin MIC" but it provides only a direct feedback through the speakers/headphones, a bit like an "open mike"!

This was the most workable kext I could get and although some people complain that the sound in is a bit soft, I've found that mine is good enough for using skype and that is good enough for me!

Since getting my NEW Alu MacBook, I've pawned the Acer off to the "Missus" and she's quite happy to work with it like it is! I've not had the urge to "fiddle" except when I saw this post and decided to try it out quickly!(that will teach her for leaving it at home!)

SticMAC

Thanks! I've already been using it in previous distro's. It works great

What do you mean with it was written that way? I never noticed my MacBook losing sound...

Could we find a solution?

Your/My MacBook doesn't use an injector to work, this is what we are trying to replace the injector with EFI strings, if you are old enough, or here long enough :) , you'll remember we used to use a file called ALCInject.kect to get the sound working, then later and "injector was put inside the AppleHDA.kect made by Taruga(correct me if I'm wrong), so that it was no longer needed!

SticMAC

Guide UPDATED! :censored2:

Changes:

1.) Added Bios Update Guide to latest (3309), see attachments... the included readme.txt contains the guide.

2.) Tweaked a couple parts of the guide for clarity.

3.) Removed Dell mini 9 from thread. (wraithalchemist, we can take it to PM's at this point... or start a new thread)

4.) Removed most of my non Acer Aspire one A150 posts.

5.) Embeded Links to text.

6.) Removed step #17

7.) Added ArtGUIScale.widget

8.) Added box.net link to the ArtGUIScale.widget

Agenda:

1.) Reinstall using the guide to a "T" Testing Now :angel:

1.a.) Checking install log Looks fine

1.b.) Booting with -v to see any errors

1.c.) Testing internal mic Works!

1.d.) Testing output auto switching Works great!

1.e.) Testing seatbelt.kext

1.f.) Run Software Update Updated

2.) Further idiot proof the guide :censored2:

3.) Investigate

cpus=2

with the 9.5.0 Voodoo Kernel :D

3.a.) Testing using IstatMenus... seems to work great.

Small addition:

How to enable Deep Sleep / Hibernation

• At installation select Drivers > Power Management > Clamshell Display Support (optional for hibernation at closing lid)
  • Download and install SmartSleep
  • Set SmartSleep to Hibernation Only
  • Disable Secure Virtual Memory --> System Preferences --> Security
  • Reboot and you're all set.

Note: This is tested to work with the latest Chameleon and Voodoo Kernel

Known bugs: Sound is gone after wake

With earlier versions of Chameleon sometimes it won't wake. At boot you can enter the boot option "-nowake" to bypass wake and boot normally. In OS X remove /var/vm/sleepimage.

Thank you volsk! I'll add it in a moment.

Added: "ClamshellDisplay.kext" to attachments

Added: "cpus=2" (when using the voodoo kernel, adding cpus=2 to com.apple.boot.plist

<key>Kernel Flags<key>
<string>cpus=2</string>