OS X on HP TouchSmart tx2?

175 posts in this topic

about time machine- It works on my HP desktop. but that system has one hard drive for the Mac OS partition, an "Old Blue" partition with a bare naked OS X install, and a backup partition used for Time Machine. Since they're all on the same HDD, maybe OS X thinks its really on a real Mac.

about Pacifist- i've never used it. do i scan the pkgs b4 i run them?

Just open the package with Pacifist, and keep expanding the tree/list (don't actually expand the files). Eventually, you will see folders, like System, Library, etc in the list. This shows you where the files will go. However, I don't know whether or not this shows the files that the package modifies.

guys I have HP tx 2500 and have the BCM4322 wifi card, which is broadcom's a/b/g/n card, and I am on 10.5.6 right now but still my wifi doesn't work, please it would be great if somebody could help a bit.

thanks.

UPDATE : I just updated the apple OS from apple OS updater and it works now. thanks.

ok, i think i am getting pretty familiar with the boot strings. do we know anyone with an HD 2400 card? I would love to take a look at what Vista's Device Manager has to say about the HD 2400. Then i can match numbers up with the info.plist for the 2400 and get an idea of what vista values go where in the plist.

so, can we get a list of dev manager's values for a 2400? i would like them all if possible. from "device description" all the way down to "children"

hey, i haven't tried anything on that site, but a lot of the methods there i'm looking at now.

OK, i got what i believe to be all the AMD "codenames" for apple:

Alopias, Caretta, Franklin, Hypoprion, Iago, Lamna, Megalodon, Sphyrna, Triakis, and Wormy

So, which one is the HD 3200? any info would be awesome

Also, most of the keys in the plists for various ATI cards (like 2400, 3600, etc) are identical. The different keys tend to be: @0,compatible; 0,compatible; 1,compatible; 1,name; ATY,HWGPIO; ATY,MCLK; ATY,RefCLK; and ATY,SCLK. I'm guessing all the CLK values are clock values. MCLK= memory clock, SCLK= system clock? what's RefCLK? I have no idea what HWGPIO is. hardware graphics processor ID? aka Dev ID? perhaps...

hey, i haven't tried anything on that site, but a lot of the methods there i'm looking at now.

OK, i got what i believe to be all the AMD "codenames" for apple:

Alopias, Caretta, Franklin, Hypoprion, Iago, Lamna, Megalodon, Sphyrna, Triakis, and Wormy

So, which one is the HD 3200? any info would be awesome

out of those names, i could figure out a few :

Alopias - X1900

caretta - X1300

wormy - x1600

Ok. So what about Hypoprion and Sphyrne? Those are the only two that we haven't identified.

Also, I don't think that the HWGPIO has anything to do with the devID. I tired all sorts of byte flips, word flip, etc on the HWGPIO and I could not relate it to the devID at all.

P.S. I'm using the 2400 info to dissect these. It's device ID is said to be 94CC. however, isn't there a fully decimal value for this? just 'cuz every other card has dev ID of all numbers, I was thinking maybe i'm using the wrong devID. can someone confirm that the devID for HD 2400 is 94CC?

Ok. So what about Hypoprion and Sphyrne? Those are the only two that we haven't identified.

Also, I don't think that the HWGPIO has anything to do with the devID. I tired all sorts of byte flips, word flip, etc on the HWGPIO and I could not relate it to the devID at all.

P.S. I'm using the 2400 info to dissect these. It's device ID is said to be 94CC. however, isn't there a fully decimal value for this? just 'cuz every other card has dev ID of all numbers, I was thinking maybe i'm using the wrong devID. can someone confirm that the devID for HD 2400 is 94CC?

I'm not sure about 94CC, but I have seen 94C1 and 94C4 as devIDs for the 2400.

yeah, i've tried those too. I just don't know where to put the 9612 dev ID for the 3200 into the plist file...

further, the 2400 is a pci card, correct? and the 3200 is onboard. this leads me to think there is a huge difference in how they are implemented into the os. However, under vista the 3200 shows up as a PCI device...

So, even though it's an onboard card is it modeled/connected as a PCI card? and is it therefore safe to assume the 2400 and 3200 are implemented the same way to the mobo? and therefore the only difference would be changing dev ids and perhaps some other key values/pin out destinations?

I would love to talk with someone who has been doing some development on these PCI AMD cards. I have absolutely no idea where to plug in the 3200 values.

I see that it has been a while since anyone wrote in this Post, but I do hope to get an answer soon.

I equally have a TX2, and I have been experimenting Leopard or OSX on it. Here are my success and failures.

Leo4all 4.1 was a complete failure on this machine. Installs fine but wont boot.

iDeneb 1.4 was a success install, but I get Kernel panic all the time , no matter what I chose, and believe me, I am good at following instructions. Still that was a no go side.

I decided to try iDeneb 1.3. This is where my success comes into play. Sound works fine, Bluetooth works fine, Ethernet works great.

Wifi does not work despite following the link to the solution. I have a Wireless N card, and wondered if this could be a reason. I have read around and still no go. Its useless to have a notebook with no wiifi, defeats the mobility purpose. If anyone has solved this please give me your steps.

As for graphics, still waiting like everyone else. No go, as it has been changed from Nvidia to ATI from previous TX series.

Also, I did try the upgrade Kit to upgrade to 1.4, but after that , everything just freezes with no luck, upon boot. Black screen and Blinking lights on Caps and Num light.

Hope someone gives me an insight soon

Thanks

Alright, so I got OSX running on my TX2. Woo. Again, still waiting for graphics and better audio but everything else works great. As for multi-touch, as soon as it hits the market, the official drivers for OSX will probably work. Last I heard, the touchscreen will be the same brand and make (Probably because the drivers already exist in windows, to save mac users the trouble of setup after boot camping.)

VGA compatible controller [0300]: ATI Technologies Inc RS780M/RS780MN [Radeon HD 3200 Graphics] [1002:9612]

That's the VGA string by the way.

Also, forgot to mention, those strings also use 256 and 512MB memory settings, The TX2 has what, 64MB? May be an issue, going to try.

Alright, so I got OSX running on my TX2. Woo. Again, still waiting for graphics and better audio but everything else works great. As for multi-touch, as soon as it hits the market, the official drivers for OSX will probably work. Last I heard, the touchscreen will be the same brand and make (Probably because the drivers already exist in windows, to save mac users the trouble of setup after boot camping.)

VGA compatible controller [0300]: ATI Technologies Inc RS780M/RS780MN [Radeon HD 3200 Graphics] [1002:9612]

Also, forgot to mention, those strings also use 256 and 512MB memory settings, The TX2 has what, 64MB? May be an issue, going to try.

How did you please get your wifi to work? Mine wouldn't even after running the .sh script from the link provided?

Thanks

How did you please get your wifi to work? Mine wouldn't even after running the .sh script from the link provided?

Thanks

Did you do the Airport updates from the Apple Updater before running the script? That's the mistake I was making at first before I finally got it working. I had to keep messing around with it, but eventually everything worked out. On a side note: I'm not sure if others do, but my front wifi indicator by the switch does not light up in blue even when the wifi is working.

EDIT: Also, I see that you went with iDeneb 1.3. I went with 1.4 from the beginning. Only had kernel panic with the dmg issue, and that was only because I forgot to have the installer install the fix. Have you updated to 1.4?

Did you do the Airport updates from the Apple Updater before running the script? That's the mistake I was making at first before I finally got it working. I had to keep messing around with it, but eventually everything worked out. On a side note: I'm not sure if others do, but my front wifi indicator by the switch does not light up in blue even when the wifi is working.

EDIT: Also, I see that you went with iDeneb 1.3. I went with 1.4 from the beginning. Only had kernel panic with the dmg issue, and that was only because I forgot to have the installer install the fix. Have you updated to 1.4?

I did try iDeneb 1.4 but had a Kernel panic each time, despite the fix I chose. I dont know what to do anymore. As for installing the Airport updates, yes I do install that first. You mean the one from Apple right? If thats it, yes I do install that, but after running the script, a NO GO.

I have a Wireless N card, hope that is not the issue.

Can you please list to me a step by step of how you installed iDeneb 1.4? Please, that would be much appreciated. I never had any of these issues with TX2500 :(

Thanks

Hey everybody,

just want to tell you how I installed MacOS on my tx2.

I downloaded iDeneb 1.4, burned it on DVD booted from it and installed the following features:

Base System

AMD Patch

Aliza Audio driver

Broadcom Wireless

Voodoo Kernel (newest)

then I downloaded the Wlan enabler (availible here in this forum)

as well as the audio driver (also from here).

everything works fine, even the german language pack.

Now, I am waiting for a video driver. (if someone have a working one, plz contact!)

I almost forgot:

updates works fine! Just click on softwareupdates, if you're connected to the internet.

Have fun :huh:

Hey everybody,

I downloaded iDeneb 1.4, burned it on DVD booted from it and installed the following features:

Base System

AMD Patch

Aliza Audio driver

Broadcom Wireless

Voodoo Kernel (newest)

Now, I am waiting for a video driver. (if someone have a working one, plz contact!)

I almost forgot:

updates works fine! Just click on softwareupdates, if you're connected to the internet.

Have fun ;)

Thanks a lot that worked great for me. I now have everything running,so all I am waiting for now is Video Card drivers like everyone else :)

Hey everybody,

Base System

AMD Patch

Aliza Audio driver

Broadcom Wireless

Voodoo Kernel (newest)

I almost forgot:

Have fun ;)

Any chance you'd be willing to upload or link to the audio and WLan drivers that you used?

Thanks in advance.

Any chance you'd be willing to upload or link to the audio and WLan drivers that you used?

Thanks in advance.

They're in this thread. please read through it if you are interested. It's only four pages so far.

Meanwhile, Welcome new TX2 OSX users!

So, onto this:

What is this string from? is it from another OS?

Thanks a lot that worked great for me. I now have everything running,so all I am waiting for now is Video Card drivers like everyone else :(

It worked fine for me as well. I just needed to fix this problem (kernel panic after downloading dmg files) :

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=150871

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=148566

I am now also hoping that someone can make a driver for the video card!! It seems that the touchscreen (both stylus and touch) would work fine once the resolution is corrected. The only problem is that the touchscreen is not deactivated when one uses the stylus. Does anyone know how to switch off the touch feature? Is it managed by some extension in the Library folder? It is surprising that this feature is actually working.

Hi,

I am thinking of getting a TX2 and convert it to a hackintosh. Just wondering how the touch screen works out of the box ( i know the calibration is way off, no video drivers). Does the Ink work. Can you write using stylus ? Do you see ink icon in system preference? Ink

To fix calibration, you can try the touch driver from touch-base . Its expensive, but they have a trial version available. See this post on

Mini Tablet Mac.

What I am thinking is that if apple offers any trackpad support via USB, like aftermarket or extra pads, then this .kext would allow multi touch on those external pads. Would it be possible to model the output of the tx2's touchscreen controller as USB input? Or otherwise somehow make the computer think that the touchscreen is actually a touchpad? like a giant touchpad... then we would get multi touch via the screen like Mac users do on their pads. that would be cool.

I have been thinking exactly same , hack the touchpad API to recognize touch. Snow Leopard have much better support and full API to support touchpad based multi-touch. Lets see if snow leopard brings a new world of touch capability for screen touch as well.

- Jay

Hi,

I am thinking of getting a TX2 and convert it to a hackintosh. Just wondering how the touch screen works out of the box ( i know the calibration is way off, no video drivers). Does the Ink work. Can you write using stylus ? Do you see ink icon in system preference? Ink

To fix calibration, you can try the touch driver from touch-base . Its expensive, but they have a trial version available. See this post on

Mini Tablet Mac.

I have been thinking exactly same , hack the touchpad API to recognize touch. Snow Leopard have much better support and full API to support touchpad based multi-touch. Lets see if snow leopard brings a new world of touch capability for screen touch as well.

- Jay

The further you get from the screen, the less accurate the pen/touchscreen becomes. I have the ink option in my system preferences. Never really tried it, but sometimes I accidentally started the yellow notepad by touching the screen. I think that handwriting will work, but it will be at most an inch away from the actual stylus.