OS X on HP TouchSmart tx2?

175 posts in this topic

since you're being such a good guinea-pig and being a good sport, would you wanna try to import a customized GeForce string? Obviously it's made for geforce cards, but perhaps it could work? just type in "ATI 3200" for name, 64mb for mem, and click custom outputs to select VGA...

just a thought. And when my tx2 arrives sometime around 4/1, I will be hitting the books to help you get this sorted out.

I noticed something interesting while browsing my extensions folder on my HP m9350f. I noticed a kext called USBmultitouch.kext. Perhaps this is for multitouch touchpad support for USB keyboards/touchpads that Mac users can add to their computers?

BTW, do any of you have multitouch working fluently on your tx2's via the screen? How about the touchpad?

I noticed something interesting while browsing my extensions folder on my HP m9350f. I noticed a kext called USBmultitouch.kext. Perhaps this is for multitouch touchpad support for USB keyboards/touchpads that Mac users can add to their computers?

BTW, do any of you have multitouch working fluently on your tx2's via the screen? How about the touchpad?

Multitouch isn't working, probably because there aren't any drivers for it on OS X. Maybe that kext could be modified for the screen.

Ok. but MacBook Pro/Air users have multi touch trackpads that work. They can swipe, zoom, rotate, etc. The new four finger swipe even lets them access different apps with a swipe and see their desktop. see:

YouTube video

url =http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OIwcMWA2oI

What I am thinking is that if apple offers any trackpad support via USB, like aftermarket or extra pads, then this .kext would allow multi touch on those external pads. Would it be possible to model the output of the tx2's touchscreen controller as USB input? Or otherwise somehow make the computer think that the touchscreen is actually a touchpad? like a giant touchpad... then we would get multi touch via the screen like Mac users do on their pads. that would be cool.

I haven't been able to find any support for external pads, though... so perhaps that's not even viable. but if we could somehow program the touchscreen controller to output to the touchpad software controller that is included with every version of Leopard, we'll have multi touch gestures on screen.

This seems like it would be one of Apple's future implementations. Perhaps if one of us makes a .kext to support multi touch touchscreen Apple would forgive that person for having a not-so-legal version of their software? Perhaps even go as far as selling the idea to Apple. :unsure:

Maybe we could use something like this, if we ever get multitouch working: Lux

since you're being such a good guinea-pig and being a good sport, would you wanna try to import a customized GeForce string? Obviously it's made for geforce cards, but perhaps it could work? just type in "ATI 3200" for name, 64mb for mem, and click custom outputs to select VGA...

just a thought. And when my tx2 arrives sometime around 4/1, I will be hitting the books to help you get this sorted out.

Just tried this. Screen freezes when it tries to load the desktop.

i tried lawless. actual installation went without a hitch, but upon boot it hung at white apple screen, spinning progress circle, and a sort of cancel icon (like no smoking sign) right on top of the apple. i've never seen that before. does anyone know what this means?

Try using the "-v" option (without quotes) at the darwin bootloader screen. If you get a "still waiting for root device" error, look here: Still waiting for root device

I used to get this error on my old computer sometimes. I fixed it by manually specifying the root device at the boot prompt. That might work for you. I don't know, since I've never used lawless before.

indeed. that's what happened. thanks for the tip, i'll try that.

by manually specifying you mean the "rd=diskXsY command, correct? BTW, i never understood this boot method, do i NEED to include the name of the kernel and display props too? i've messed around with this stuff on my desktop and didn't understand if i need to include the whole string or if i can just use part of it.

EDIT: rd=disk0s2 did not work. also, i've never installed OS X and Win on the same drive before, i'm used to dealing with completely different drives on my desktop. do i need to mark windows partition active? i don't believe it was before i did the install. of course, it pops up with a warning about i won't boot if it doesn't have any sys files. but the vista part will still boot, yes? Also, I don't mind booting win through darwin... do I HAVE to boot through the vista b/l to get OS X to boot reliably?

EDIT2:ok... so windows is saying my HDD is an SCSI device... uh oh... please tell me windows is telling you the same thing. When i ordered this beast from HP i selected the 7200 SATA drive... it seems as though it is NOT a SATA drive, though. also, on another side note, i ordered the zm-85 processor b/c it said it came with an L3 cache. neither PC Wizard nor CPU Z is catching the third cache though... I think HP screwed me. twice.

EDIT3: well, i cracked open the bottom of the tx2 and discovered that the HDD is indeed a 7200 SATA. WD Scorpio Black to be specific. more research into the controller tells me there's three of them, top one is an AMD AHCI compatible RAID controller. AHCI is good to see. i'm still a little confused about the ZM-85 that HP charged me $50 more for...

alright, I gave up and d/led ideneb v1.4. It did not work- i couldn't even get to the installer. kept hanging on "You need to restart your computer". Verbose mode told me it hangs after "Mac OS version: not yet found" and a whole string about the kernel.

anyway, iDeneb 1.3 worked without a hitch. I'm going to install Voodoo kernel, audio driver, and wifi driver on next reboot.

A little sidenote: When setting up my account Mac had no trouble using my webcam. I was suprised. I got to take my picture for the accout pic!

EDIT: Ok, the wifi method from mcsmart didn't work. the wifi slider now lights up blue, so it must see it somehow, but I cannot find my card anywhere in sys profile, or network preferences. When setting up a new connection, the Airport dot is not selectable. only ethernet and other. ethernet works as soon as i plug it in, though...

can anyone give some insight on this? I don't wanna try any of mcsmart's fix methods listed in his post b/c my card is not even being seen by Mac. And yes, the command line script ran just fine. Wierd, huh? I have the n card - the 4322AG

about the gfx, i tried peeking at the OSx86 tools' built in gfx strings. seems as though all the Radeon HD cards have codenames in the kexts. anybody know what the HD 3200 is called? Others are like Iago, Franklin, etc.

EDIT: starting w/ a fresh install iDeneb 1.3 then update to 10.5.6 w/ combo update. will report back w/ success (hopefully).

One thing that is irritating is that the CPU seems to run plenty warm (under page up/dn and delete keys) in my installations so far. also, battery power seems worthless. I'm lucky to get 45 mins on a full charge in Leopard. I have the 8 cell that gives roughly 4.5 hrs in Vista on power saver settings. How can we better manage the power Leopard uses? I read about a powermanagement.bundle fix, but that did nothing but add more {censored} to the old system and eventually a kernel panic when it tried to sleep. Any successes with sleep/ sufficent battery life?

EDIT2: success into 10.5.6. Also, wifi now works. It is un-godly slow though. almost painful to wait for pages to load. This may be a Safari or op-code patching issue with the 9.6.0 kernel, b/c straight downloads are mighty fast, i'm getting around 600 kb/s! wow, the most i've ever seen on my desktop with wired LAN was like 620.

Edit3: my trackpad vanished from the system preferences after update. Now i can't click by tapping trackpad. still no battery management support.

EDIT: CONFIRMED: IR works!! cool! our little remote can control volume, back, forward, play/pause, stop, mute. the sleep button seems to stop the processes, but you need to close lid to turn off display. function key brightness control worked for ten seconds, to turn it to brightest and back down to dimmest. no response now.

Only troubles for me now are: don't have a battery meter, don't have touchpad preference support, and don't have accurate resolution-to-touch calibration.

I did try to change the resolution in vista to 1024x728 thinking that it might set some sort of cross-platform BIOS setting for resolution-touch calib. no luck when booting into Leo.

Confirmed: mem card reader works!

For the graphics, look here: ATI Radeon HD 3200

It says that the card is related to both the 3400 and 2400. The only code name I could find was RS780.

I can't find any way to get decent battery life (it runs out at about 1% per minute). The only thing I can suggest is to lower the brightness using the function keys. You could also try turning of WiFi and/or Bluetooth in Windows. Your powermanagment.bundle problem might have something to do with the kernel you're using. Try typing "anv" at startup to temporarily switch to XNU and see if that does anything.

i'm using the 9.6.0 (AnV) kernel full time now. for some reason my install won't boot at all unless i specify a kernel at boot. it seems as though the com.apple.boot.plist doesn't have a kernel specified in it, and if i try to install a kernel via OSx86Tools, the system freezes up. i discovered and installed the seatbelt.kext fix for it too, as i had some trouble mounting d/led dmg's, now that is not an issue.

Hunter, do you have battery indicator/% remaining? if so, please do share your methods. same with post-install trackpad support. I hate not being able to scroll and click w/trackpad.

for gfx- yeah, the RS780M is just the chipset. Nice link though- nice to know it's built on top of the 2400. I'll tear through those drivers and see what i can turn up. also: AMD. It seems as though they have it in their support list, but no drivers. not for any of the OSs. so, its on their list, but no support... mayble we'll have to dig into HP for this as i'm sure this is exclusively an HP product.

On a Vista note, i can't allow the system to sleep and then successfully wake it. When pressing power button while system is sleeping, cd drive/hard drive/ case fan spin up but nothing on screen. just black. and not like "no input" black, more like "its off" black, if ya know what i mean Does anybody else have this issue? i found this:updated 3200 driver. Perhaps we should update (as HP hasn't automatically done it and i stll have old 8.533.1.0 driver)

Power Management!!

PM installer

Use auto installer (i did, looks a little too much work in Terminal)

works perfect. I can even adjust battery consumption settings. However, I don't believe this works very well (my battery is still running out at about 1% per min)

BTW, iDeneb 1.4 10.5.6 (upgraded from 1.3)

EDIT: Hunter, i will try those touchpad d/ls. thanks

EDIT2: the touchpad.prefPane is going into the PreferencePanes folder, but now it has its own prefpane. before it was part of keyboard & mouse tabs. Not a big deal but why is this?

I installed an ApplePS2trakpad.kext yesterday thinking it would help. I was wrong. now when viewing the desktop, the mouse pointer will jump all over the place. very sporadic, very annoying. In any apps it does not do it. I installed it straight into the extensions folder, but it belongs in ApplePS2Controller.kext/contents/plugins/ which I did not know at the time. I deleted the applePS2Trackpad.kext from extensions folder, b/c i'm sure it's not supposed to be there. Rebooted. But my mouse is still spazzing all over. what gives?

Only GFX left!!! Does anybody know anybody with the HD 2400 series card? i would like to get the device ID for that card, as well as some of the hex values in certain kexts. If anyone has the HD 2400 card, please PM me.

well, word for word the HD 2400 and 3400 import strings are identical with the exception of the actual naming key strings. They are called the "Iago" cards. 2900 is "franklin" 3600 is "lamna". 3800 is also lamna. 3800 x2 is "Triakis". If we could somehow get the naming conventions to get which name should go into the string, we should be set. however, we need a kext to go in the extensions folder, too. any progress with that yet?

Also, I will start playing with importing strings, etc. but how do i reverse that process in the event I get blank screen? boot safe mode, then delete/edit what? thanks.

CONFIRMED: Webcam still works in 10.5.6!! Tested in skype, it automatically found it and displayed.

If you edit the strings using osx86tools, it will automatically save a backup of boot.plist. To restore:

Boot from osx86 dvd.

Open a terminal window.

"cd /Volumes/(whatever your osx86 partition is called)/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration"

"rm com.apple.Boot.plist"

"mv bootbackup.plist com.apple.Boot.plist"

Close the terminal and restart into your osx86 partition.

ok, it's backed up in the SystemConfiguration folder? and named bootbackup.plist? sounds easy enough.

Also, FYI:

CONFIRMED: Bluetooth works, paired with mobile phone OK.

EDIT: Hunter, I tried HD 2400 string, and got "staticy" blue screen.

However, upon reboot, I couldn't change dir to my install partition...

booted into DVD, Terminal command: cd /Volumes/Macintosh HD/ won't work at all. I even tried: cd /Volumes/Macintosh%20HD/ and that did not work. any tips?

EDIT: got it, used quotes in cd command around directory. Eg.: cd "/Volumes/Macintosh HD/". silly me

now, though, I don't think I have permission to remove. after: rm com.apple.Boot.plist

it gives: override rwxr-xr-x 501/staff for com.apple.Boot.plist?

I tried "y" and pressed enter, but then it says it's a read-only file system...

EDIT: fixed with "rm -r com...."

EDIT2: Wow, ok, i just had a hands-on crash course with terminal. Learned a lot. Success booting back into install.

OK, found some gfx pkgs to install and try, but since they're pkgs, i wanna back my system up with Time Machine before I install them (since you can't uninstall pkgs). Or should I try to backup by copying the disk in Disk Utility?

Anyway, trying to make another partition in windows results in the partition becoming disk0s5, which OS X cannot format (b/c darwin can only handle 4 partitions). however, my vista install is disk0s1, vista recovery is disk0s4 and OS X install is disk0s3. Both Disk Utility and Vista don't see a disk0s2 volume, so it must be available. So, how can i make my new disk0s5 partition become the available disk0s2 partition so darwin can use it? Or is it just that the new partition needs to be marked at active/primary? Vista won't let me mark it as active or primary; it's set as a logical volume.

I guess, if nothing else i could backup to an external USB HDD, but if there's an easier way, I'd like to take it.

Thanks for the info. However I cannot get Timemachine to use the ext HDD now. It says something about network interface issue.

Is there another way to undo pkg installs?

BTW, The sporadic mouse pointer is not happening anymore, I'm not sure why it has stopped. But it's not doing it anymore. yay.

Time Machine gave me the same error. It's probably something to do with the fact that it's running on a PC. You could try manually deleting files that the package installed by using Pacifist to look at the files that it installs.