PowerManagement (with ACPI Support) Software Release

keithpk

437 posts in this topic

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't do anything for my Toshiba Equium A100-337 :(

EDIT: After reading a guide on the osx8 forums, I've finally got it to recognize I have a battery, however there is no icon & when I click on the empty space were it should be it says "no batteries available". Any solution?

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone out there have a SZ vaio where sleep actually works? My screen goes blank, but it looks as though there is activity, and I can't wake it up. My battery meter works beautifully, FWIW. Or did anyone have this problem and actually fix it? Thanks!

Leopard 10.5.5 (via Kalway 10.5.1)

9.5 Kernel / Darwin Bootloader

When we first reviewed the hp dv4000 a couple months ago, it easily won Editors' Choice honors in our multimedia category. Its upgrade, the Pavilion dv4000, joins it at the top of the heap, with its own Editors' Choice title.

Edited by Mebster
Removed spam url

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hey Everyone,

So here is the final version of my PowerManagement.bundle with debug messages removed. For people who are interested in the discussion that occured during the development of this driver, please refer to: http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?sh...237&hl=2200

Overview:

This PowerManagement.bundle fixes many of the issues that people were having with displaying battery time remaining on laptop systems. As many of you already know, Apple is using many of the advanced features of Intels new Core Duo architecture. One of these is the power management features. Therefore, much of the code was not written to support power management on older (ACPI-based) systems. This new bundles basically, adds support for detecting and retriving information from batteries registered using ACPI.

Who Should Use It:

Really this should only affect people who are using laptop systems, as there really aren't any power management features on a desktop. If you are having problems getting time remaining calculations to display properly I recomend trying this new bundle. If you are not having any problems, you are welcome to try it out anyways, but I really see no reason to. In designing the new ACPI support I tried to leave the existing functionality as intact as possible, therefore, I am sort of curious about whether I succeded. Therefore, if someone would like to try installing this on a working systems, I would be interested in hearing how it worked. (However backup your old bundle just in case.)

Installation:

1. Download the PowerManagement.tar.gz file below to your favorite location

2. Un-archive the files. This will leave you with a PowerManagement.bundle

3. Navigate to: /System/Library/SystemConfiguration

4. (Optional) Backup your old PowerManagement.bundle

5. Copy (drag-n-drop) the new bundle into the SystemConfiguration folder

6. When the dialog box pops up, select authenticate and type your admin password

7. Reboot

8. (Optional) For those of you who helped with testing the debug release, please delete /var/log/PM.log

Additionally, for those of you who are interested, source code of the changes has been provided as well.

Thanks to everyone's help in the original thread for their comments/questions/suggestions, as well as their help testing.

Laptop battery displays lovely but it seems to have slowed my cpu down. For some reason my xbench results for cpu are a lot slower, about 50% slower now with this bundle

Hi!

I just installed iDeneb 10.5.5 and used a patched PowerManagement.bundle and i discovered an odd thing about the power status of my notebook. When I use it on power adapter the status shows that it's on Battery Power and can't calculate its time. But when it's on battery power status says its on AC power and starts to write its time measuring "Until Full". The Time starts to raise from zero to the max life of it's battery.

The time calculation isn't a matter for me. But the power source reversely is kind of irritating. Haven't found any article about someone having this strange problem.

I think the software part of the charging system of OSX interprets a digital status signal (FLAG) negated. :wacko:

I'm not into software that deep. So what do you guys think? Can somebody solve the problem? Anybody else having this issue?

Hi!

I just installed iDeneb 10.5.5 and used a patched PowerManagement.bundle and i discovered an odd thing about the power status of my notebook. When I use it on power adapter the status shows that it's on Battery Power and can't calculate its time. But when it's on battery power status says its on AC power and starts to write its time measuring "Until Full". The Time starts to raise from zero to the max life of it's battery.

The time calculation isn't a matter for me. But the power source reversely is kind of irritating. Haven't found any article about someone having this strange problem.

I think the software part of the charging system of OSX interprets a digital status signal (FLAG) negated. ;)

I'm not into software that deep. So what do you guys think? Can somebody solve the problem? Anybody else having this issue?

I just figured out when it really charges (The charging led is lit) it shows correctly "Power Source:Power Adapter :P

And when I interrupt charging (disconnect charger) it still says "Power Adapter". :wacko:

• 3 weeks later...
Hey Everyone,

So here is the final version of my PowerManagement.bundle with debug messages removed. For people who are interested in the discussion that occured during the development of this driver, please refer to: http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?sh...237&hl=2200

Overview:

This PowerManagement.bundle fixes many of the issues that people were having with displaying battery time remaining on laptop systems. As many of you already know, Apple is using many of the advanced features of Intels new Core Duo architecture. One of these is the power management features. Therefore, much of the code was not written to support power management on older (ACPI-based) systems. This new bundles basically, adds support for detecting and retriving information from batteries registered using ACPI.

Who Should Use It:

Really this should only affect people who are using laptop systems, as there really aren't any power management features on a desktop. If you are having problems getting time remaining calculations to display properly I recomend trying this new bundle. If you are not having any problems, you are welcome to try it out anyways, but I really see no reason to. In designing the new ACPI support I tried to leave the existing functionality as intact as possible, therefore, I am sort of curious about whether I succeded. Therefore, if someone would like to try installing this on a working systems, I would be interested in hearing how it worked. (However backup your old bundle just in case.)

Installation:

1. Download the PowerManagement.tar.gz file below to your favorite location

2. Un-archive the files. This will leave you with a PowerManagement.bundle

3. Navigate to: /System/Library/SystemConfiguration

4. (Optional) Backup your old PowerManagement.bundle

5. Copy (drag-n-drop) the new bundle into the SystemConfiguration folder

6. When the dialog box pops up, select authenticate and type your admin password

7. Reboot

8. (Optional) For those of you who helped with testing the debug release, please delete /var/log/PM.log

Additionally, for those of you who are interested, source code of the changes has been provided as well.

Thanks to everyone's help in the original thread for their comments/questions/suggestions, as well as their help testing.

IDK y but this doesn't work for me, any uploads of ACPIPlatform available?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

When I use the PowerManagement.bundle in the first post, it actually deletes my pre-existing battery meter, which was used with the PowerManagement.bundle in the attachment.

However, with the downloaded PowerManagement.bundle, sleep suddenly works. When I reinstall the old one to get the battery meter back, sleep stops working.

Any ideas why? Is there a way to get the best of both worlds?

• 3 weeks later...
It says that I do not have sufficient rights to install or modify PowerManagement.bundle. Please help.

Select the file, the folders it is in, and the hard drive, and "Get Info". At the bottom of the menu is a permissions box that you have to change to "Read/Write" instead of "Read-Only" for "everyone". Make sure to repair permissions via Disk Utility after you're done.

Select the file, the folders it is in, and the hard drive, and "Get Info". At the bottom of the menu is a permissions box that you have to change to "Read/Write" instead of "Read-Only" for "everyone". Make sure to repair permissions via Disk Utility after you're done.

Thanks! But I fixed that by deleting the original file and pasting this PowerManagement.bundle there. It solved my problem. :). And my ethernet works only if I plugin the cable while booting. Is there any solution?