436 replies to this topic

keithpk

keithpk

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Hey Everyone,

So here is the final version of my PowerManagement.bundle with debug messages removed. For people who are interested in the discussion that occured during the development of this driver, please refer to: http://forum.osx86pr...ic=2237&hl=2200

Overview:
This PowerManagement.bundle fixes many of the issues that people were having with displaying battery time remaining on laptop systems. As many of you already know, Apple is using many of the advanced features of Intels new Core Duo architecture. One of these is the power management features. Therefore, much of the code was not written to support power management on older (ACPI-based) systems. This new bundles basically, adds support for detecting and retriving information from batteries registered using ACPI.

Who Should Use It:
Really this should only affect people who are using laptop systems, as there really aren't any power management features on a desktop. If you are having problems getting time remaining calculations to display properly I recomend trying this new bundle. If you are not having any problems, you are welcome to try it out anyways, but I really see no reason to. In designing the new ACPI support I tried to leave the existing functionality as intact as possible, therefore, I am sort of curious about whether I succeded. Therefore, if someone would like to try installing this on a working systems, I would be interested in hearing how it worked. (However backup your old bundle just in case.)

Installation:

1. Download the PowerManagement.tar.gz file below to your favorite location
2. Un-archive the files. This will leave you with a PowerManagement.bundle
3. Navigate to: /System/Library/SystemConfiguration
4. (Optional) Backup your old PowerManagement.bundle
5. Copy (drag-n-drop) the new bundle into the SystemConfiguration folder
6. When the dialog box pops up, select authenticate and type your admin password
7. Reboot
8. (Optional) For those of you who helped with testing the debug release, please delete /var/log/PM.log

Additionally, for those of you who are interested, source code of the changes has been provided as well.

Thanks to everyone's help in the original thread for their comments/questions/suggestions, as well as their help testing.

Attached Files

autoy

autoy

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts
A W S O M E !

Thank you for your time and efforts! :)

blinksilver

blinksilver

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
Best news ever! THE MBP does not use dynamicpowerstep. I was sitting in front of an mbp at the bookstore of my school (UCSC for those who care) and i check for the little option inside > Preference> energy saver> options, that lets you pick from highest/automatic/reduced CPU speeds and it was not there. So I asked one of the reps to let me look at the console, he did. I checked for dynamicPowerStep and the MPB had the failed to load message. That means something else is controlling the CPU in the MBP.

jrrjrr

jrrjrr

InsanelyMac Sage

• Donators
  • 289 posts
:poster_oops: Thank you for giving me back my battery indicator, keithpk :)

Konami®

Konami®

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 956 posts
thank you for the nice working job!

keithpk

keithpk

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Best news ever! THE MBP does not use dynamicpowerstep. I was sitting in front of an mbp at the bookstore of my school (UCSC for those who care) and i check for the little option inside > Preference> energy saver> options, that lets you pick from highest/automatic/reduced CPU speeds and it was not there. So I asked one of the reps to let me look at the console, he did. I checked for dynamicPowerStep and the MPB had the failed to load message. That means something else is controlling the CPU in the MBP.

Very interesting blinksilver. To keep the discussion of these two different topics separate, lets start a new thread about DynamicPowerStep information: http://forum.osx86pr...showtopic=14915

Zappadoc

Zappadoc

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
Great here with my DELL Inspiron 9400 / 10.4.5. Thanks for this amazing stuff!

Bruce Wang

Bruce Wang

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts
Update to the final version and it works great, as expected! Thanks!

mrhotwings

mrhotwings

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
working good so far
thanks

Tek_No

Tek_No

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts
So far OK on my HP Pavilion ZT3010EA laptop :blink:

Great job!

Take care,
Tek_No

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
What about DVD issue? I can't check it at the moment but will do and report back later. Anyway thank you keithpk for all your hard work. Such enthusiasts as you keep this forum running :)

JJJJJ

JJJJJ

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
works great! good job!

Thanks!

stocke

stocke

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks!

Working on Dell C840/8200!

cyclonefr

cyclonefr

InsanelyMacaholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,751 posts
does it works on desktop computer to allow the monitor to automatically shut down after 10 min? thanx

aconu

aconu

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

does it works on desktop computer to allow the monitor to automatically shut down after 10 min? thanx

No, if you have an ATI video card, you need RadeonTools for that (see Jas posts on first page of the last Omni ATI driver thread).

lilitz

lilitz

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Hi all...

Thanks for the driver and thanks to all developers whose are making a great effort to help us.

One question.... My system doesn't detect the battery charge yet. The battery's Icon shows 0% of charge always... why? It's a centrino (with intel Chipset). It's possible that I have to do any change before install the driver?

Thanks otherwise!

Ultraviolence

Ultraviolence

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Works great on my laptop (Inspiron 8500)!

Thanks!

cyclonefr

cyclonefr

InsanelyMacaholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,751 posts
aconu ive tried radeontool doesnt work on my desktop computer..and yes my card is in the plist

feyeleanor

feyeleanor

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:coding, more coding
Works nicely on a Thinkpad X31, and with RadeonTool allows the display to go to sleep. Looks like I won't be needing X-Charge anymore :(

phb

phb

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

aconu ive tried radeontool doesnt work on my desktop computer..and yes my card is in the plist

radeonTool is for laptops only, atleast that's what the linux radeonTools do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   Web hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy