QT 7.6 DEFINITE MOUSE LAG FIX for ALL 8800 GT/GTS 512 & 8600-8500-9800 series

cyclonefr

294 posts in this topic

SOLUTION 1: seems there is a easier workaround, by removing some kext. Here is the link to the original post, good job guys ! :Phttp://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1074361.

And here is the link to an updated Disabler.kext to disable this kext. http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1075673

SOLUTION 2 : (hardcore :lol:)

CAUTION, WHATEVER YOU READ THERE IS YOUR OWN RESPONSABILITY, NOT MINE.

With the help of netkas, we finally managed to fix the famous QuickTime lag. This fix is a dirty one, and you might be disappointed, but it's a REAL FIX. You may not like it but here it is : you actually need to flash your 8800 GT with the Mac Pro 8800 GT eeprom (see there to follow the EXACT instructions on how to do this http://www.neowin.net/forum/lofiversion/in...hp/t639884.html).

Thanks to Kabyl, he managed to extract the legacy part (PC part) of the Mac Pro 8800 GT dump. What does it mean ? Well it's under 64K, so EVERYONE with a 8800 GT can flash it and enjoy the fix (1024K is only needed if you flash the untouched mac pro dump).

What you need to know is there are 2 bios i'm posting there, because there are 2 different 8800 GT for Mac Pro (1st gen & 2nd gen) for some EFI stuff. Why do I post these 2 bios then ? Because I noticed for some reason that one of them (from the mac pro 2nd gen) is different than a normal PC bios, it supports power management, and when idling, the 8800 GT underclocks itself to use less energy. So maybe people there will prefer this bios (2D3D.ROM).

In this zip you'll find 3D.ROM too, it's from the Mac Pro 1st gen 8800 GT and this one doesn't have power management, which means it always run at 600Mhz, even in idle (like original PC 8800 GT anyway).

Here is the link : http://www.mediafire.com/?ntyjdzzjhqj

Something else you need to know is that you can simply edit these bios under Windows with Nibitor if you wanna overclock your card, or if it's an overclocked one, or even if it's a 8800 GTS 512 that is running on a higher frequency. If you wanna use the 2D3D.ROM, then don't touch the 2D part of it (idling part) because I tried and Windows or OSX won't boot anymore... Just touch the 3D frequency if you wanna change the default 8800 GT one.

Now people with 8800 GTS 512 can use this bios to their original frequency. And maybe other G92 cards (9800 GTX might work, etc as long as you put your original clock. Please try and reports about these other G92 cards).

CAUTION, doing so might render your 8800 GT UNUSABLE. I managed to fail to flash it once (because of a {censored} dos boot cd i think) and I couldnt boot my PC anymore. Thanksfully, I had an old PCI card so I could still boot it and flash it again.

So please, be careful.

You might not like this fix, but it's the best fix to make your card like a real mac 8800 GT and thus fix the mouse lag problem.

So why is that mac pro bios so different ? I don't know, hopefully we will know why one day, but for now, here it is.

Have a nice day, please share your knowledge if you know an alternative to modify OUR original bios and fix the bug doing so.

So this post is not only a post to help people (with a RISKY way) to flash their card, it's also a post where we can share our knowledge to fix this problem with another trick. I have a G84 too, I tried to flash the 8800 GT bios on it, but it failed so for now, G84 people are out of luck (8600 series mostly)

I told you it was risky. But did you use the USB stick (HP stuff) with the NVFLASH from that post ? If not, then you should have.

If you have another PC with another PCIe/PCI cards or an integrated card (gma x3100 for example), reflash it and it'll resurrect it, don't worry

Thanx for sharing. Are there any limitations while running flashed 8800GT in native windows ? (I have a dual boot). Also I assume that it can be applied on stock overclocked cards as well - since I'm running gigabyte 8800gt that is factory OC'd.

Thanks !

Yeah don't worry I'll try re-flashing it. Thank god I've still got my old Diamond Stealth II PCI card (4MB VRAM baby!)

I booted into UBCD then used the included FreeDOS. So, uh... don't do what I did!

This looks like the proper way:

http://www.neowin.net/forum/lofiversion/in...hp/t639884.html

Also where's the USB boot stuff? I don't see that mentioned in the linked post :S

Even more: Do you still need EFI strings with a "real" (flashed) card?

Update: Flash went fine using method linked from Neowin. Card is back from the dead ;) Booted back into OSX without changing anything (aside from re-enabling AHCI) and everything seems fine.

Wow! I thought it wasnt possible to boot a "mac" card (with EFI rom, right?) on a PC. Would then be possible to flash a 7600GT with the mac rom to maximize the compatibility? I know this isnt related with the QT problem, but I couldnt resist to ask....

You still need to use injection because PC bios can't read the card efi eeprom. Thanks Lolrus for a better guide, i'm editing my original topic.

There are no limitations for Windows, actually it's even better IMHO, because now the card in idle is running underclocked in Windows so eats less energy.

I USE THE GEFORCE 8600 GT 256MB RAM

To FIX that Problem do:

1. Download QuickTime 7.5.5 (http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite.net/content.info.apple.com/QuickTime/061-4709.20080909.AqspI/QuickTime755_Leopard.dmg)

2. Download Pacifist and Install it: (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/12743)

3. Open Pacifist and choose the QuickTime 7.5.5 DMG-File

4. During the installation REPLACE all files

5. be happy

roisoft: can you check in Windows if you still have the extra pipelines from GTS (rather than GT)... Yours should have 128 shaders versus 112 (8800 GT).. I thnink you can check this with GPUZ or Everest.

You can probably set your card to the GTS clocks too editing the mac pro firmware with Nbitor. About that guy who said the bios was corrupted because of the "red light" in nbitior, it's normal, it's because de bios is 124KB since it has the EFI part too, and nibitor doesn't like this, but the rom is OK, don't worry.

CAUTION, WHATEVER YOU READ THERE IS YOUR OWN RESPONSABILITY, NOT MINE.

With the help of netkas, we finally isolated the problem of the famous QuickTime lag. This fix is a dirty one, and you might be disappointed, but it's a REAL FIX. You may not like it but here it is : you actually need to flash your 8800 GT with the Mac Pro 8800 GT eeprom (see there to follow the EXACT instructions on how to do this http://www.neowin.net/forum/lofiversion/in...hp/t639884.html .

So the guide says "Use a Mac Pro" but I guess it could be done with any PC.

The 9800GTX can be flashed too?

How to know if it has 1024 ROM BIOS?

Succesfull flash with my Galaxy 8800GTS G92 . Now it´s recognized like 9800GT by OpenGL Viewer.

Thx cyclonefr :lol:

So what's the difference if you are using the same BIOS?

another successful flash here....

now updated to quicktime 7.6 and system runs without mouse lag

my card is Foxconn 8800GT 512MB

how to-

1. Use HP USB DOS Disk to boot

2. "NVFLASH --check" to check if rom size fits

3. "NVFLASH --save old.bin" to save original rom.

4. "NVFLASH -4 -5 -6 MP8800GT.rom" to flash

there seem no any noticeable difference from original bios(from boot to leopard, I didn't try windows yet)

Guest ѕиоѡ

Ok, this is a bit too much modding for my liking lads.

I had the lag and got rid of it by replacing QuickTimeComponents.component with the one from v7.5 BUT everything worked except when I tried to record something with Wiretap Studio it would not record anymore (crash or 0 bytes, etc)

I then tried just about anything until I noticed the installer referring to QT 7.4 so I figured it uses QT to encode/decode or whatever. I then replaced the new 7.6 component again and it works.

So it's not only the lag issue but it renders some apps non working.

I have flashed cards in my windows days but I refuse to do this now. This is my main rig and I cannot afford to break it.

Hardware modding to make OSX86 work is a different ballgame and if its going that route we will loose OSX86 pretty soon.

Maybe I'm going back to 7.5 or wait for another proper solution. Thx though for the share of info :)

@sensei730000: there i've uploaded the Mac firmware without the EFI part. Only the PC part is still there so you don't need 1024K. I didn't try it but it should work, I don't see why it wouldnt. The EFI part shouldn't be needed because our PC can't even read that.

Make sure you have another GFX card in case you have to reflash your original bios (make a backup).

Anyway here it is, so you don't need 1024K : I HAVE REMOVED THE LINK, IT DOESNT WORK, I TRIED.

Enjoy

EDIT : There i've uploaded 2 pictures that shows what is different now with the Mac Firmware ... See, in Everest I have a 2D and 3D clock now. And in GPUZ, current freq is 300Mhz instead of 600Mhz since i'm just using internet explorer right now and idling.

post-9104-1232819507_thumb.jpgpost-9104-1232819517_thumb.jpg

Cyclonefr,

Are these the results from the bios you posted here?

Thanks m8,

-Stell

@sensei730000: there i've uploaded the Mac firmware without the EFI part. Only the PC part is still there so you don't need 1024K. I didn't try it but it should work, I don't see why it wouldnt. The EFI part shouldn't be needed because our PC can't even read that.

Make sure you have another GFX card in case you have to reflash your original bios (make a backup).

Anyway here it is, so you don't need 1024K : http://www.mediafire.com/?m1yjcosfltm

Enjoy

EDIT : There i've uploaded 2 pictures that shows what is different now with the Mac Firmware ... See, in Everest I have a 2D and 3D clock now. And in GPUZ, current freq is 300Mhz instead of 600Mhz since i'm just using internet explorer right now and idling.

post-9104-1232819507_thumb.jpgpost-9104-1232819517_thumb.jpg