Severely chopped optical drive

banini_jeque

1 post in this topic

I don't have a lot of pics yet, but I thought I would post my optical drive solution. I had to chop out a lot of it, not so much because of the ram slots, (which nearly clear the stock drive despite there being 4 slots on this board) but because of the motherboard power connector which is in a bit from the ram slots. As a result, the optical drives main board had to be relocated to outside of the drive's box, and the amount that the tray travels had to be shortened. Fortunately, but turning the main board sideways, I only had to solder in extensions for two plugs, the one for the disk spin motor, and the one for the laser track. I also had to rig the tray so that the drive knew when the tray was fully extended, since the part of the tray that normally does this was cut off. You can see in the pics the piece of board that I attached, which, when the tray is extended, pushes the slider that operates the switch that tells when the tray is all the way out. I kind of wish I'd put in a slot loading slim drive instead, because it would have looked nicer inside the case, but, whatevs man.

post-117-1232604016_thumb.jpg

post-117-1232604043_thumb.jpg

post-117-1232604066_thumb.jpg