Quicktime 7.6 Is Out

antsh

90 posts in this topic

Guest ѕиоѡ

Confirmed: replacing QuickTimeComponents.component works

Replace this file inside System/Library/Quicktime

Thx for the fix amigos!

UPDATE: replacing the component renders Wiretap Studio useless (since it uses QT to encode/decode) so this is a bad fix.

I replaced the component again with the 7.6 and app works again.

I had no problems with Quicktime prior to the 7.6 update, then the dreaded lagging mouse issue came about. Replacing:

/System/Library/Quicktime/QuicktimeComponents.component

with a prior version from Time Machine solved the problem. Interestingly, I guess Time Machine doesn't let you drill down into packages or I would have been a little more surgical.

Prior to replacing the file, I tried re-adding the EFI string for the video card, but no joy.

This does bring up the question: what happens when you have software the requires features only available in 7.6? Do you have to upgrade your graphics card? I suppose if Apple upgrades their video drivers, then that might help remove the conflict...

Same here: After installing 7.6 -> jerky mouse while Itunes or QT opened.

Replacing the .component file with the old one... seems to work so far. - no jerky mouse with 7.5.5 .component

UPDATE:

• ScreenFlow is not working anymore. Crashes at start :rolleyes:

I replaced the 7.6 QuicktimeComponents.component file in /System/Library/Quicktime/ with the one provided here in the thread. Even changing back to the original 7.6 .component +repairing permissions will result in permanent crashes. But there is no error displayed in console.

:thumbsup_anim:

I used munky's method and I dont get quicktime lag. This is a distribution issue, tested the result myself. Got lag on leo4all and iPC. Also take note of the fact that the distro's cant handle non-apple 8800gt rom's. This will not happen with munky, at least in my case.

Can you confirm that the card's BIOS is the same as those used in normal PCs? I wouldn't say that just because it works with BootCamp, it would work with a normal PC.

If the cards used in Mac Pros are the same "generic" cards as the ones used in PCs, then this whole Quicktime-lag problem would need a different approach... :)

Guest ѕиоѡ

Well, in between the lines I noticed some peeps with real macs have the same issue so it might be apple related.

I'm sure there will be an easier fix then flashing the card pretty soon but this also means that we can't update vanilla style anymore and after all, thats why we bought our new hardware.

It's a shame but it had to happen sometime right.

Good luck with flashing guys

Can you confirm that the card's BIOS is the same as those used in normal PCs? I wouldn't say that just because it works with BootCamp, it would work with a normal PC.

If the cards used in Mac Pros are the same "generic" cards as the ones used in PCs, then this whole Quicktime-lag problem would need a different approach... :(

See that for flashing http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...amp;pid=1053726

I could be wrong but i seem to recall that the difference is mac cards have a 128 bit ROM chip, whereas off the shelf PC cards only have a 64 bit ROM chip. This is why Mac Pro's require Apple upgrade kits. When I upgraded the card in my Cube to a 6200 I had to send it to a guy to have it physically modded to a 128 bit chip and flashed. Then again i could be just talking out of my hiney :(

I could be wrong but i seem to recall that the difference is mac cards have a 128 bit ROM chip, whereas off the shelf PC cards only have a 64 bit ROM chip. This is why Mac Pro's require Apple upgrade kits. When I upgraded the card in my Cube to a 6200 I had to send it to a guy to have it physically modded to a 128 bit chip and flashed. Then again i could be just talking out of my hiney :)

No your not although it depends on the manufacturer some like the eVGA that I have do put the 128k ROM on the board so as a result this card is a favorite among the Mac crowd looking for a cheap upgrade, from what I have read on the Mac Rumors site there has never been a problem flashing one of these cards.

Cool. I didn't know that. Which card is that? My brother has an older Mac Pro and needs an upgrade. Sorry for the off topic.

I have an eVGA e-GeForce 8800GT p/n 512-P3-N801-AR depending on the model of Mac Pro your brother would need either the 32 or 64bit ROM to flash with I have included links to both threads.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=434092

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=471227

I have an eVGA e-GeForce 8800GT p/n 512-P3-N801-AR depending on the model of Mac Pro your brother would need either the 32 or 64bit ROM to flash with I have included links to both threads.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=434092

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=471227

Thanks! You're totally too cool for school. Do you know which he would need for an early 2GHz (dual core xeons x 2)? 32 or 64? I really appreciate the info.