Quicktime 7.6 Is Out

antsh

90 posts in this topic

Installed fine for me, but if I have Quicktime Player app open, I will start dropping a few frames in my entire screen (not just movie) every 5-10 seconds, it seems to drop a 2-3 frames every time, you can notice it by just moving the mouse around. problem happens even if not video is opened.

I have an 8800GTS (g92).

:D and :)

I have 8400 :) and 9800 :D

Are the 8800s of Mac Pros are G80 or G92?

I think G92 or at least on the Macrumors forum that is what they were/are flashing with the 32/64bit ROM's to get the cheap upgrade. On a side note I think the damn mouse lag bug has showed up here with this update didn't have it before...

from what I've heard, its not affecting real Macs with 8800GTs (someone confirm this).

I've managed to fix this by copying over the QuickTime Player app from another machine that didn't upgrade to QT7.6 and I don't get the system pausing every few seconds for 1-2 frames, and it works all the rest of 7.6 QT files installed. Also apps that use QT don't have the slow down, its just the QT Player app.

I can upload the older app if anyone needs it.

I don't think it affects real Macs, otherwise there would certainly be something mentioned in the release notes (or at least in Apple's own forum).

Well, just wanted to share that it works with the old MPEG2 plugin, although the release notes mention about incompatibility. I just tried playing some MPEG2 files, and encountered no problems at all.

[Edit] Woops. I just noticed that I installed Perian a few days ago, so there's a huge chance that Quicktime is using the new Perian plugin instead of my old MPEG2 plugin. My bad...

I've read some of the Quicktime problems at this forum, and it does seem to occur only on G92 and G84 systems. Makes me wonder which nVidia chips Apple uses... Any nVidia Mac owners care to share?

So in other words users of g84 and g92 are screwed unless apple accidentally fixes it. Well, guess i'm in the market for a new graphics card.

@sg: Yeah i fixed it using an earlier build of 7.5.5. It appears the only fixes are what you and i did or using 10.5.5 graphics kexts. I think cyclonefr has a thread about it.