nVidia GeForce 9800 GT 512MB

OS-Maniac

39 posts in this topic

I have a nVidia GeForce 9800GT 512MB but I can't find the way to make it work. I have the Vanilla kernel on Leo4All 10.5.5 AMD. I used to have the ToH kernel and I used to install aqua-way's drivers to get QE/CI working but it doesn't work anymore probably because of the Vanilla kernel... I can't even change the reso anymore... Any help would be appreciated!! :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...
I'll try that as soon as I get home!

I have successfully installed 9800GT 512 as 8800GT 512 with EFI strings and booth CI/QE works, but my mouse movement is glitcy and also screensavers etc

what is the problem? EFI strings? SMbios? CPU or .. ?

tnx

Chipset Model: nVidia GeForce 8800 GT

Type: Display

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 512 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0614

Revision ID: 0x00a2

ROM Revision: nVidia GeForce 8800 GT OpenGL Engine [EFI]

Displays:

Display Connector:

SyncMaster:

Resolution: 1440 x 900 @ 60 Hz

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Hardware Accelerated

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Supported

Rotation: Supported

argh!

tried gfx-efi strings with NVIDIA 9000 Series Driver v2 (aquamac instructions), nVDarwin with no luck at all.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=132089

links to this for GFX strings

http://aquamac.proboards106.com/index.cgi?...&thread=509

do i need to delete nvdarwin?

clean install...

some one somewhere must have done this and has a nice how-to?

iPC 10.5.6

M2NBPVM-CSM (NForce)

AMD AM2 4800+

mine is an XFX 9800 GT with 512 MB. Using iPC 10.5.6 on AMD platform

going to try 9f23installer when i figure out what it is.

Hah, ^_^ after a bit of thrashing, I just re-installed iPC 10.5.6 using only the kernel and chipset.

then I used aquamacs Nvidia 9 series installer.

installed the GFX strings using this

http://aquamac.proboards106.com/index.cgi?...&thread=509

Then I used the installer, repaired permissions and booted into a nicely supported XFX 9800 GT 512MB graphics card. Beautiful. Way better than the on-board nForce graphics.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=132089

had followed some other advice and got myself really messed up. I did change the in.plist to read nVidia 9800 GT instead of the nVidia 9800 GT DDL (or something like that).

Couldn't use OSx86 tools. was denied permissions or something to write the com.apple.plist...

post-353669-1234332387_thumb.png

iPC 10.5.6

M2NBPVM-CSM (NForce) motherboard

AMD AM2 4800+

XFX 9800 GT 512MB

3 GB ram

VGA monitor

@ Badpete

Are you able to change resolution/refresh rate ? I was able to get 1280x1024 by changing it and then turning the pc off when i got the "blue screen" and turning it back on. However the same method wont work for refresh rate, it just goes to back to 75hz.

This is the method I used to get my 9800gt working:

1. Did a fresh install with iPC 10.5.6 w/ 512mb NVDarwin checked.( makes sure to check "EFI Studio" and "OSX86 Tools" too.

2. Then I used EFI Studio to write the 8800gt 512mb string.

3. Lastly I used OSX86 Tools to enable Quartz GL

-----------

FYI My Specs Are:

Intel Pentium 4 515 2.93 GHz 533MHz

160GB SATA

Intel 82915g Motherboard

512 mb DDR RAM

EVGA 9800 GT 512mb

yeah it sucks, but i'm getting my i7 parts ASAP

Unfortunately I was playing around and lost it. My mouse would no longer update and I couldn't use it at all, frustrating. Tried the ipc live DVD and installed the drivers there with EFI and got the same thing... Nuked my windows drive as well somehow... Working on resurrecting that and OSX. Funny.

@ Greyshock

Yes I was able to change the resolution/refresh rate with it on. I have a VGA 19" old school Dell 991 monitor.

I did not have to use OSX86 tools to get Quartz working. It worked on reboot after restoring permissions. Following the directions in my post from aquamac. For some reason I can not get OS86 Tools to write my .com.apple.plist. I have to write it myself. Not sure why... be so much easier to use tools...

@Buglis

See my post with links to aquamac. No installer. Installed nVidia 9 series drivers and then EFI string.

Hopefully this install will no get fubar'd, maybe I will not mess around so much this time? ;)

Unfortunately I was playing around and lost it. My mouse would no longer update and I couldn't use it at all, frustrating. Tried the ipc live DVD and installed the drivers there with EFI and got the same thing... Nuked my windows drive as well somehow... Working on resurrecting that and OSX. Funny.

@ Greyshock

Yes I was able to change the resolution/refresh rate with it on. I have a VGA 19" old school Dell 991 monitor.

I did not have to use OSX86 tools to get Quartz working. It worked on reboot after restoring permissions. Following the directions in my post from aquamac. For some reason I can not get OS86 Tools to write my .com.apple.plist. I have to write it myself. Not sure why... be so much easier to use tools...

@Buglis

See my post with links to aquamac. No installer. Installed nVidia 9 series drivers and then EFI string.

Hopefully this install will no get fubar'd, maybe I will not mess around so much this time? ;)

Thanks Badpete, I've installed nVidia 9 series and then add Efi string, works all perfectly!!!

@Buglis

right on! Now if I could get it to work again for me! Can't make it work on re-install.

what did you use to add EFI strings? I used aquamacs instructions from the gxfutil in terminal osx86 tools gives a different string and I still have to add it manually to my plist because it won't do it for me...

Followed the same procedure and I get spotty graphics and my mouse is impossible. Jumpy and erratic, hard to move around. I can change all the resolutions and refresh rates, but the mouse is crippling and it still doesn't draw the whole screen mostly around the icons. Grrrr. Having to use the keyboard for the mouse. If I increase the refresh rate (defaults to 60hz), it gets a wee bit better.

Dumped the rom (NVflash.exe or GPU-z is easier) from my XFX 9800 GT (512), used NVCAPmaker and changed the NVCAP string in aquamacs in.plist, but that doesn't change a thing. Its not the same NVCAP string, but still makes no difference to the uglyness.

Not to mention that I tried the iPC live DVD (didn't work live, may have DL'd bad) for reinstall and nuked my boot files for XP. chkdsk /r fixed that after a time. So much fun to be had! Good thing my linux drive is unplugged and safe.

I tried and tried to get the EFI Strings to work for this card with my iDeneb 1.3 install. I cant tell you how many times I reinstalled OS X on this stupid computer. Finally I used the 9800 NVKush to get my card to work, I havent had any problems other than the fact it shows the NVKush {censored} in the System Profiler. But I have played a couple of games and have not had any problems.

That might be how I go. Installed EFI strings from OSX86 tools and not the 9000 series drivers and got the same mouse problems (moves erratically if at all) so it seems my EFI strings are not working well... Course when I install the drivers, then my graphics don't write the whole screen, only parts...

If I don't install any video drivers then I get artifacts, screen won't refresh properly. So when I get a chance, I'll try nvkush or one of the others...

sigh... too sunny outside to be in...

Vertical

Thanks, I'll try that when I get totally frustrated with EFI strings. I've asked aquamac to see if he has any ideas on his board.

Pisses me off that I had it working and now I can not!! At least Buglis got his Asus 9800 GT up and running.

Did you get QE/CE and resolutions all working? If you did, you should post it to the HCL on the OSX86 wiki. I had mine up until it broke and I could not replicate my success so I took it out...

I had mine on the 10.5.6, I see you are on 10.5.5.

I'm on 10.5.6 installed from the iPC 10.5.6 final DVD.

My video card is a 512MB 9800GTX+ from Leadtek, ID 0x0612

I didn't choose anything in the video drivers section and I didn't install an injector, I wanted to try and see if vanilla graphics kexts would work.

After install the card is identified almost correctly (9800GTX DDL instead of +) in System Profiler but with no acceleration.

Then I used OSX86Tools to make a device property string, rebooted and it works. Got no problems with my mouse or stuttering, games run fine etc. I won't post my device property string because it's the same as you can generate yourself with OSX86Tools by picking the 9800 GTX 512MB at the bottom of the list.

I have some other weird problems with sleep and shutdown like everybody else, but this time around video was easy.

So far from what I've read in different places, the 9800GT (no X) must be installed as 8800GT for it to work properly.

Yes, I've seen that too--8800GT for 9800GT

Buglis on post #15 got his Asus 9800GT working. Mine once worked. No idea why it won't anymore.

I see some in the HCL as well that are working. I just haven't got around to trying injector which also seems to work.

The mouse stuttering isn't a GFX card problem. It's a quicktime problem. The newest quicktime (7.6) has problems with G92 based cards, newer 8800gt's and 9800 gt's. Install the QuicktimeCompnent from an older quicktime. There are post somewhere on InsanelyMac on how to fix it.

If unable to use Quicktime then VLC is a great replacement. Granted it won't work for those programs (iLife stuff and whatever) that are highly integrated with Quicktime but for internet browsing and watching videos it's awesome. Plus it'll play just about any type of media you can imagine. And do lot of other technical video streaming stuff that I don't know about.

IIRC you have to download and install the browser plugin for it separately on OSX, in the Windows version it's integrated in the installer.

Give it a spin. Don't forget to save the uninstall script before you chuck the .dmg if you should feel like uninstalling it (not likely).

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

• 2 weeks later...

hi,

im quite a noob here

i also have XFX 9800GT 512mb and i used iPC 10.5.6 with NVinject, and used an NVinject.kext, QE/IC works but I can't change the resolution..

it's 1440x900@75 and i need to work on 1680x1050... but each time i change the resolution, the screen turns blue..

can anybody direct me on which installer to use?

and where can i get the Nvidia 9series ?