Intel PRO/100 VE NIC

catracho

333 posts in this topic

@Slus.. yep, Apple dumped AppleIntel8255x.kext on Snow. If you're talking about OSxTools from PC... (can't remember his name), don't use it on Snow.

Get the kest on post #266, remove the one you installed, add your dev id to the new kext, put it in /Extra/Extensions folder (you are using Chameleon bootloader, right!? or similar...), reboot. If you want you can make sure the System rebuilds cache; open Terminal and type:

sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions

press return

enter password

press return

Reboot... this is enough for me 32 or 64 bit, same dev id.

@StarDust123, sorry still didn't answered your PM.. i'm very busy atm, but i will.

Well, my recommendation depends on your hardware and it will always include "roll up your sleeves and install from retail" :)

If hardware allows, go Snow Leopard! I don't use distros in a long time, the latest i used was JaS10.5.4 when it came out and

that's the one i like most, but it's just for Intel. If you really have to use a distro, that's the one i have to recommend, iDeneb

for Intel/AMD and i'd avoid iAtkos (no time to explain why now)...

But really, go retail... you'll learn more!

Thanks, But I have one problem to go retail. First of all my computer is atleast 2-3 years old and I am not sure if my hardware will support a retail version. And I really dont have the money to build a new computer at the moment :(. Also This is my hardware I am using at the moment in my HP mediacenter m7760n Desktop.

Internal Hard Disks: 500GB SATA hard drive (2 x 250GB) at 7200 RPM

Motherboard: Asus MotherBoard name: P5LP-LE MotherBoard Name: Leonite-GL8E

Video Card: Asus nvidia 9800gt (Bought about a month ago) (also updated the power supply to a Thermaltak 650W)

RAM: 2048MB PC2-4200 memory(2x1024MB for ultimate performance)

I have installed iATKOS v7 or something like that and it installed successful, but sadly I had to uninstall due to the fact I couldn't get any internet up at all (worked on it for 18 hours total about 11 or 12 on installing Mac and rest on Ethernet). But in the end it failed so I had to go back to windows 7 ultimate. And you give me a good bootloader to use and a name of a manufacture (Like iPC or iAtkos) that is at the most recent version my computer can support? Thank you for all your help!

ehehe :) my machine is a HP m7730p also a media center machine.. check my signature for the hardware. You are more than ok for a

install from retail. Note that i said "install from retail", not a retail install (as in vanilla install). Vanilla installs are a myth to me! they don't exist!!

To run OS X on a machine other than a Mac, we need at least a decrypter, like fakesmc.kext or old dsmos.kext and AppleDecrypt.kext.. not to mention a bootloader capable of boot the OS on a non EFI machine. That's not vanilla.. vanilla is on Mac's!!!

Core2Duo or Pentium D, on that machine?

We'll talk more in private.. we are out of topic already. You have machine to run Snow 64 bit, vanilla kernel (untouched) and 2 kexts,

fakesmc.lext and Disabler.kext. This is just to boot and install. Graphics most probably work with Chameleon's Graphics Enabler. Network

will work.. you're good :hysterical:

Chameleon, 2.0 RC4 or a dev version from the repository. There are some on this topic:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=201902

or if you want to see what's keeping me busy atm:

http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,1227.0.html

Later...

@Azimutz Alright well that didnt work....

First of all, I downloaded the kext on post 266. inside the zip file its a bunch of files that i need to compile with xcode but there is this folder where there is an actual intel8522x.kext file so I used that one.

Second you told me to put it in /Extra/Extensions which means my harddrive then the extar folder then the extensions folder... the thing is I didnt have a Extensions folder in my Extra folder. I have one in the /System/Library/extensions. (in there there is IONetworkingFamily.kext) What I did is I created a folder named Extensions in /Extra and put the kext in there... used the terminal command and rebooted... it didnt work

Third, what i did next is put the intel8522x kext in /System/Library and another in /System/Library/IONetworkingFamily/whatever/plugins redid the terminal commands and rebooted and still nothing......

Anybody have a fix for this?

Sorry @Slus, i forgot to mention you have to add to /Extra/Extension also IONetworkingFamily.kext, it's needed as dependency.

Remove the stuff you did to /S/L and /S/L/E.. you don't just put files in those folders, they have to be installed properly and kests don't go on S/L!

Copy IONetworkingFamily.kext from /S/L/E and remove the "Plugins" folder inside, you don't need it on /E/E, just IONetworkingFamily.kext+AppleIntel8522x.kext. Run the command again and reboot.

This stuff is on my guide... most of it ;) no time to update it now.

>> At First write down your device ID and vender ID.

>> Now open Terminal.app and type in the following line and press Enter key.

sudo vi /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleIntel8255x.kext/Contents/Info.plist

>> you will be prompted to enter your password. do it.

>> press 'J' key to move down your cursor and you will find something like the following.

<key>IOPCIMatch</key>

<string>0x10518086 0x10508086 0x10298086 0x10308086&0xfff0ffff 0x12098086 0x12278086 0x12288086 0x12298086 0x24498086 0x24598086 0x245d8086 0x10918086 0x10608086&0xfff0ffff</string>

>> In vi mode you can move your cursor up and down, or right and left using J(down), K(up), H(left) and L(right) keys.

>> insert your device ID and venderID somewhere else. mine is 0x10928086, eg, my deviceID is 1092 and venderID is 8086.

>> to insert, press 'I' key and now you are in inserting mode, now write your ID. If done, then press 'ESC' key to exit from inserting mode.

>> If all went good, its time to save. write ':wq!' to save and exit vi mode.

>> if something went wrong, use 'X' key to delete letters or write ':q!' to quit vi mode unsaved.

>> now, write the following line on Terminal.app to clear kext cache.

rm /System/Library/Extensions.*

>> Quit the Termunal.app.

>> Open DiskUtility, and perform permission repair.

>> Reboot your machine.

Hi where do i find my device id and my vender id?

• 3 weeks later...

ok am the 1 of many new menber here and i am experimenting with the mac os's now i recently installed the tiger 10.4.8 and it was successfull, i installed it on a intel pent 4, processor 1.70 ghz, with 512 memory it is speedy an everything except the network card wont show up all am seeing is serial port, and in the network pref its red meaning it not connected, i came her and i found alot a different ideas an thing i used post #2 and nothing worked, i used number 10 still nothing so i stop and read around an search for other things on my windows same system but different HD and i foung this post i used it and it gave me the network for the Tiger 10.4.8 this pic has all the instrustions and ill upload the fine too.

MUST WORN YOU THAT IT MESSES WITH A FEW THINGS TOO LIKE SOUND AND PSP AND 3 MORE THINGS, SO USE AT OWN RISK, ANYTHING YOU SEE WITH CAUTION ICON AFTER DISK UTITILITY VERICATION IS RUN CAN BE RESOLVED ON THE SITE.

IONetworkingFamily_10.4.3.kext.zip

Snapshot_2010_04_24_13_38_40.tiff

Snapshot_2010_04_24_13_40_59.tiff

@AntonioRove, your welcome ;) Sorry it is a "bit hidden" but, i really don't have time to maintain it properly atm so, better leave it as is.

@frankolo,

sorry for the late reply, only now i received new post notification :(

Yep, system or installer is irrelevant for the guide! It's only about the driver and hardware.

What's the device id?

Were are you loading the driver from? If Extra/Extensions try Extra/Extensions.mkext. I had that problem on Leo,

needed to edit OSBundleRequired on info.plist. If it's not that i'm not sure..

just download unzip and install the kext helper use it to install the kexts, enter your pass word and select the easy install menu it will do all the work all you need to do is wait till its finished and reboot your computer (Mac) lol then you will be good to go, please wownload the two pictures to know what i mean

• 1 month later...
@frankolo,

sorry for the late reply, only now i received new post notification :angry:

Yep, system or installer is irrelevant for the guide! It's only about the driver and hardware.

What's the device id?

Were are you loading the driver from? If Extra/Extensions try Extra/Extensions.mkext. I had that problem on Leo,

needed to edit OSBundleRequired on info.plist. If it's not that i'm not sure..

Hey brother-

I haven't tried your guide yet, but man am I having issues. I'm using a HP dx2300 with the built in Intel lan, and I used the kext in the first few posts to try to get it working. After repeating the steps a few times, voila, it worked all of a sudden. Then I got the stupid idea to update airport from software update and it said cable unplugged after that. I never got it working again so I reinstalled 10.5.6 ideneb and never got it working after that either, it never recognized the ethernet adapter again even after I repeated the exact same steps I did the first time. I just don't get it.

I'm going to try your guide but does anyone have a fresh IONetworkingFamily.kext they can send me or upload?

@Braddman, try the guide and use the AppleIntel8255x.kext i posted there. Then you can ask all the questions in the world ;)

@Braddman, try the guide and use the AppleIntel8255x.kext i posted there. Then you can ask all the questions in the world :P

OK I tried following the guide but got lost at one point, here's what I did.

-Copied IONetworkingFamily.kext to the desktop (from SLE because I didn't have any other ones.)

-Checked inside, no AppleIntel8255x.kext, so I used one I had that had previously worked. Copied that into IONetworkingFamily.kext inside the PlugIns folder.

-Edited the info.plist inside that kext and removed all strings but my correct ID (0x27dc8086) which worked once before.

-Saved info.plist

That's where I got lost. You said something about an EXTRA folder in the guide, I wasn't sure what to do, so I copied the modified IONetworkingFamily.kext back to S\L\E and then tried both Kext Helper and the terminal to install it. Using terminal, it said the kext was already loaded.

Rebooted, still nothing. Can you help?

Edit- Just checked, which driver are you referring to in your guide?

OK Edit--

I don't have an Extra folder, that's what was losing me...SO..I did the following:

If it doesn't work or you want to use the kexts in S/L/E, edit in both IONF and AI8255x info.plist, the string in the

key OSBundleRequired like this:

before

<key>OSBundleRequired</key>

<string>Network-Root</string>

after

<key>OSBundleRequired</key>

<string>Root</string>

Now..I'm ready to put the kext in Extensions. Do I copy the kext file over THEN run KextHelper on it, or just run Kext Helper, drag the kext into it from the desktop and be done?