Intel PRO/100 VE NIC

catracho

333 posts in this topic

Do you add any code for ethernet card in DSDT? Or you just apply DSDT override? Just for confirmation because base on your previous post that you only add code for GMA950 in DSDT.

kizwan

Hi! I just applied the patch in -f (force) mode. But now I use DSDT.aml from mentorek. He has practically the same model as I have but he made some modification concerning Conexant HDA sound... Although sound doesn't work.

Unfortunately network doesn't work every time I boot Mac. It works always when booting with -F flag. But in normal boot frequently I get numerous errors like "Self Test failed", "ROM version wrong" and so on... I can post dmesg here to analize it together.

With great respect, jazzminos.

dmesg.txt

Thanks to Azimutz! I added IONetwokFamily to Extra folder in the root of System disc. And it seems that this helps to make Ethernet kext load properly... I need to test it for some time.

I NEED HELP WITH OVERHEATING PROBLEM! Something stops my fans at boot. This causes my CPU to get 83 degrees... Sometimes fans don't stop at boot, but this is a rare situation... I tried a lot of things... But nothing helps.

I NEED HELP WITH OVERHEATING PROBLEM! Something stops my fans at boot. This causes my CPU to get 83 degrees... Sometimes fans don't stop at boot, but this is a rare situation... I tried a lot of things... But nothing helps.

You can try VoodooPower if you didn't try it yet. Sorry, from your dmesg, it clearly you have try it. ;)

Thanks to Azimutz! I added IONetwokFamily to Extra folder in the root of System disc. And it seems that this helps to make Ethernet kext load properly... I need to test it for some time.

It should fix your problem, no more boot with -f. I'm too put IONetworkingFamily.kext to Extra folder for both laptop since I need to use edited Info.plist of AppleYukon2.kext (to add support for Yukon 88E8038) & AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext (to add support for dell wireless 4315).

I have take a look to your dmesg file & I noticed this:-

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start - waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out

Do you installed Disabler.kext or IntelCPUMDisabler.kext? You can remove this two kext because you have applied DSDT patch. If you have already remove it, make sure AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext is exist. You can restore it from your DVD installer.

Also try changing "MacBookPro4,1" to "MacPro3,1".

AppleTyMCEDriver::probe(MacBookPro4,1)

I hope it can solve the overheating problem.

I have take a look to your dmesg file & I noticed this:-

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start - waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out

Do you installed Disabler.kext or IntelCPUMDisabler.kext? You can remove this two kext because you have applied DSDT patch. If you have already remove it, make sure AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext is exist. You can restore it from your DVD installer.

Also try changing "MacBookPro4,1" to "MacPro3,1".

AppleTyMCEDriver::probe(MacBookPro4,1)

I hope it can solve the overheating problem.

I've deleted Disabler.kext. AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement is now loaded... But it doesn't help. Here's the new dmesg. I can't locate IntelEnhancedSpeedStep.kext to delete it, because I use VoodooPower. Do You know where can it be?

How to change "MacBookPro4,1" to "MacPro3,1"?

Thanks for reply.

dmesg.txt

I've deleted Disabler.kext. AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement is now loaded... But it doesn't help. Here's the new dmesg. I can't locate IntelEnhancedSpeedStep.kext to delete it, because I use VoodooPower. Do You know where can it be?

Try to locate it using this command in Terminal:-

locate IntelEnhancedSpeedStep

I think this was the reason for the overheating, I hope. ;) The reason why I ask you to change to "MacPro3,1" because there is no entry for "MacBookPro4,1" in ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin Info.plist. If you able to change to "MacPro3,1", try remove VoodooPower for a while & try to see if your CPU able to speedstep itself without it. Run Geekbench & if the score is almost identical with what you got in windows, probably speedstep working. You can measure it with MSR Tools. Maybe it can make your CPU more "calmer" hence make it much cooler. I can't use VoodooPower because it cause my laptop to overheating without any "relevant" reason. :D

How to change "MacBookPro4,1" to "MacPro3,1"?

In the dmesg, I noticed that AnV AppleSMBIOS did not load this time, resulting this:-

AppleTyMCEDriver::probe([b]Satellite P100[/b])

Did you remove it? You can change it ("MacPro3,1") in the Info.plist of AnV AppleSMBIOS. I use smbios.plist because I use EFI bootloader (with Chameleon 2 RC1).

So, your sound card did not work right? You can remove ALCinject.kext because it has been taken over by your DSDT (from mentorek). Have you ask what kext did mentorek use for the conexant sound card? Usually it should be either this two combination:-

1) DSDT (with modified HDEF code) + legacy kext + vanilla AppleHDA.kext

2) DSDT (with modified HDEF code) + vanilla AppleHDA.kext (with modified Info.plist)

Slightly off-topic, can you post screenshot of your IORegistryExplorer for GMA950. Like this:-

ioregistryexplorer.jpg

I want to compare it with mine. Thank you. :)

kizwan

I've removed SpeedStep2 folder... But I got some error messages during the boot that such file or folder does not exist. Removing IntelEnhancedSpeedStep.kext did not help.

Please, explain in details what to do to change to MacPro3.1? I did not understand... What should I change? Thanks for understanding :(

Thanks.

I've removed SpeedStep2 folder... But I got some error messages during the boot that such file or folder does not exist. Removing IntelEnhancedSpeedStep.kext did not help.

I will try research this later. I never use it before. So, maybe there are other files that need to be removed too.

Please, explain in details what to do to change to MacPro3.1? I did not understand... What should I change? Thanks for understanding :(

In the Info.plist file inside AnV AppleSMBIOS folder, locate "MacBookPro4,1" & change it to "MacPro3,1". I will try come out with better step-by-step later after I take a look at AnV AppleSMBIOS kext. :(

kizwan

I've found and installed AppleSMBIOS-AnV-MacPro.pkg from iPC 10.5.6. It is just MacPro3.1. But this doesn't make any effect... Here's the info.plist.

Are You sure that the problem is with SMBIOS?

No. I was hoping it will produce "proper" speedstep hence cooler cpu. What is the CPU temperature in idle state? Also what is the CPU temperature when it in full load? Can you see changes in speed while you're using your laptop?

If you remove VoodooPower now, does the CPU speed stuck in one speed?

Bear with me on this, I was trying to figure out why you got too high temperature. Maybe your CPU running in full speed.

kizwan

Hi.

What is the CPU temperature in idle state?

Approximately 65-66 degrees at 800 MHz. When the fan is running - 48-50 degrees.

Also what is the CPU temperature when it in full load?

It rises up to 83 degrees and graphics breaks (the screen starts to blink every time). When the fan is running even slowly it is not higher than 65 degrees.

Can you see changes in speed while you're using your laptop?

Yes, I feel the difference for example on Firefox start. When it runs at 800 MHz it is much slower.

If you remove VoodooPower now, does the CPU speed stuck in one speed?

I can try this but how can I test the results? AppleIntelCPUPowerManagements initializes successfully... I removed Disabler. But there is no effect on fans.

I suppose that the problem is with PCI drivers by ChunNanh. They are 10.5.6 only and they are Beta version... The fan stop just after the load of PCI at boot. Maybe it will be useful to try to put them into Extra folder? Here's the information on my sensors grabbed with Everest in XP. If we can find a programmer who can correct the i8kfan.kext (there is a source code for it http://i8kfan.googlecode.com/svn/driver/ta...0.0d1/I8kfan.c) that i8kfan.app could "see" my sensors and fans... :wacko:

Sensors_Info.txt

It rises up to 83 degrees and graphics breaks (the screen starts to blink every time). When the fan is running even slowly it is not higher than 65 degrees.

I have almost the same problem when using VoodooPower (just temperature too high). I did try to add code in the VoodooPower source code to solve the problem. The code will step down the CPU speed when temperature exceed 75oC but this will effect the performance. Right now I'm not using VoodooPower anymore because my CPU able to speedstep using vanilla AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement. I believe it has to do with smbios set to MacPro3,1 (& maybe I have very good BIOS + DSDT override). Don't get me wrong, it still hot but not crazily hot. :) With VoodooPower my CPU temperature is very easily "climb up" to >80oC.

I can try this but how can I test the results? AppleIntelCPUPowerManagements initializes successfully... I removed Disabler. But there is no effect on fans.

You can use application called "MSR Tools". You can view the CPU speed with it. I have a theory about the fans behavior. I think it is not running in a full speed when CPU in full load. That is why CPU temperature is too high. But this is just my theory. :(

I suppose that the problem is with PCI drivers by ChunNanh. They are 10.5.6 only and they are Beta version... The fan stop just after the load of PCI at boot. Maybe it will be useful to try to put them into Extra folder?

Maybe it is related with IOPCIFamily.kext, I don't know. But IOPCIFamily.kext will not load if you put it in Extra folder. I have tried it.

kizwan

The problem is not in the VoodooPower... The problem is just in fans... Something stops them at boot. I can simply hear if they work or not. Sometimes they work, but practically all the time they don't... When they work (even slowly) temperature is normal... But when they are stopped by some driver situation is very poor... I can't do practically anything. I think that laptop users need program like i8kfan to optimize this... The rest is to find the programmer to correct the kext for us :)

• 4 weeks later...
Yup, it works. But you will need this file -see attachement , and a reboot. And maybe you will get kernal panics after opend dmg files. Thatll be fixed by replacing seatbelt.kext with the 10.5.5 seatbelt (for kernal 10.5.6) or seatbelt 10.5.6 (for kernal 10.6) After you did the usual replace kext thing - c'mon u should be used to that - you might have random freezes. But at least u got on the net right?

Hi... thankssss it works now, thousand thanks to you buddy!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have Intel Pro 100 VE i installed iATKOS 10.5.7 sucefullu i edit the AppleIntel8255x.kext i added my id that is 0x10948086 and still dont have conextion i repair permisions all and no no internet what i need to do exactly to have internet please i wan to connect

• 4 weeks later...
I have Intel Pro 100 VE i installed iATKOS 10.5.7 sucefullu i edit the AppleIntel8255x.kext i added my id that is 0x10948086 and still dont have conextion i repair permisions all and no no internet what i need to do exactly to have internet please i wan to connect

Try to boot with -f option.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Everyone

here is the AppleIntel8255x.kext you will need. I have it zipped along with installation instructions.

The AppleIntel8255x.kext now allows me to use my Intel Pro/100 VE NIC which is running the

82557 Chipset.

If it doesn't work for you usual disclaimers apply! Don't Blame me for trying!

I do hope it helps.

JUST WANTED TO THANK CALADAN1810, 3 YEARS LATER, THIS IS STILL THE FIX THAT WORKED FOR ME - PERFECT, FIRST TIME, AFTER THE OTHERS FAILED!

RUNNING ON A GATEWAY 450SX4

:P

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! I followed all the methods posted on this forum but i have a problem, i can't find the codes of my card because i have no windows partition on my notebook Vaio VGN Fe21h

If i go to System profile under the Networks i just can find Integrated Ethernet butere there are no codes just:

Ethernet integrata:

Tipo: Ethernet

Hardware: Ethernet

Nome dispositivo BSD: en0

IPv4:

Metodo di configurazione: DHCP

IPv6:

Metodo di configurazione: Automatico

Proxy:

Proxy FTP abilitato: No

Modalità passiva FTP: Sì

Proxy Gopher abilitato: No

Proxy HTTP abilitato: No

Proxy HTTPS abilitato: No

Proxy RTSP abilitato: No

Proxy SOCKS abilitato: No

How can i do to know the device edit of my card? please help me

I have a rather strange problem. I installed the Intel Pro 100 ve drivers with the installation and it works. But the issue is OSX thinks the cable is unplugged every time I start the computer. When I physically unplug and plug the cable back in I get a connection. Does that mean I still have to install the IONetworkingFamily.kext_10.5.6_WORKING.zip?