GeForce 9600 GT natively supported in Mac OS X 10.5.6

Bit Shoveler

62 posts in this topic

Hey Lars,

I followed your instructions and found out how to create an efi string here @ http://forum.netkas.org/index.php?topic=222.0 .

Unfortunately I'm stuck on 1024x768 with no quartz extreme. I had the card running with QE full res with NVDarwin but it was fail at dual screening.

Do you know where I could have gone wrong?

I'm using iDeneb 10.5.5 upgraded to 10.5.6.

Thanks,

Benos.

Bit Shoveler - thanks for your reply. I wasn't even sure my post had registered as the board seemed to have a spack attack when I posted it and had to be rebooted sometime later.

There's some good news. My EFI string is now successfully inserted so I don't get a black screen on boot anymore;

I've yet to reinstall the drivers; I appear to have several versions available; those packed in aqua-mac's installer, those packed in a 9f23installer package (which I think were pre release dev versions) and those in the official Apple update repository. I haven't checked the MD5 hashes of them to verify they are different.

cj95 - to clear the black screen on boot you need to remove all the GeForce and Nvidia related kexts and flush the kextcache as well. This will allow you to boot into OS X using the VESA 3.0 basic graphics, or if your EFI string is correct it will show up in System Profiler as above.

To get rid of these kexts

Then follow these steps:

1)reboot into single user mode (enter "-s" at the Darwin bootloader without the quotes).

2) Enter /sbin/fsck -fy then mount -uw / once all the text has stopped scrolling and you have a shell

3) Change working directory to Extensions: cd /System/Library/Extensions

4) Delete all Geforce and Nvidia related kexts and injectors: NVinject, NVDarwin, NVKush etc. as well as the kextcache; enter rm -r Ge*.* && rm -r NV*.* && rm -r ../Extensions.mkext

5) Enter reboot and the system will boot using the VESA or EFI string as outlined above.

Hth

mount -uw / doesn't do anything :(

there is no nvject.kext , nvdarwin.kext and nvkush.kext. i didn't install any driver. when i install nvdarwin 512mb still hangs on boot or black screen.

Hey Lars,

I followed your instructions and found out how to create an efi string here @ http://forum.netkas.org/index.php?topic=222.0 .

Unfortunately I'm stuck on 1024x768 with no quartz extreme. I had the card running with QE full res with NVDarwin but it was fail at dual screening.

Do you know where I could have gone wrong?

I'm using iDeneb 10.5.5 upgraded to 10.5.6.

Thanks,

Benos.

Yes - dual screens require you to have the correct NVCAP string for your card's ROM. I believe incorrect NVCAP settings are the cause of my black screen issue when the driver kicks in.

cj95 - mount -uw / simply mounts the root filesystem so you can make modifications to it from the terminal in single user mode. There is no verbose output - it will just bring up another command prompt.

Bit Shoveler - thanks for your reply. I wasn't even sure my post had registered as the board seemed to have a spack attack when I posted it and had to be rebooted sometime later.

There's some good news. My EFI string is now successfully inserted so I don't get a black screen on boot anymore;

I've yet to reinstall the drivers; I appear to have several versions available; those packed in aqua-mac's installer, those packed in a 9f23installer package (which I think were pre release dev versions) and those in the official Apple update repository. I haven't checked the MD5 hashes of them to verify they are different.

cj95 - to clear the black screen on boot you need to remove all the GeForce and Nvidia related kexts and flush the kextcache as well. This will allow you to boot into OS X using the VESA 3.0 basic graphics, or if your EFI string is correct it will show up in System Profiler as above.

Then follow these steps:

1)reboot into single user mode (enter "-s" at the Darwin bootloader without the quotes).

2) Enter /sbin/fsck -fy then mount -uw / once all the text has stopped scrolling and you have a shell

4) Delete all Geforce and Nvidia related kexts and injectors: NVinject, NVDarwin, NVKush etc. as well as the kextcache; enter rm -r Ge*.* && rm -r NV*.* && rm -r ../Extensions.mkext

5) Enter reboot and the system will boot using the VESA or EFI string as outlined above.

Hth

OMG!!! now i understood it!!!;))))))))) it works now but there is no QE/CI and it runs very slow(same as without driver in safe mode) and core image is in software.. do you know anything about this?? THANK YOU!!!

Chipset Model: Geforce 9600 GT

Type: Display

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x4

VRAM (Total): 512 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0622

Revision ID: 0x00a1

ROM Revision: Geforce 9600 GT OpenGL Engine [EFI]

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1680 x 1050

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Software

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

Display Connector:

Glad you got back to the desktop, I've sent you a PM explaining why I reckon this issue is occurring.

One thing I did notice though:

PCIe Lane Width: x4

This looks VERY odd. The lane width on your card should be x16.

Check in your BIOS to make sure the slot isn't being forced down to 4x.

Yes - dual screens require you to have the correct NVCAP string for your card's ROM. I believe incorrect NVCAP settings are the cause of my black screen issue when the driver kicks in.

cj95 - mount -uw / simply mounts the root filesystem so you can make modifications to it from the terminal in single user mode. There is no verbose output - it will just bring up another command prompt.

Thanks for replying Lars, I will look into the NVCAP string if I work out how the NVDarwin driver works, until then I will be trying to get my card to work with the more official drivers. Maybe I should take some strings from NVDarwin to try on the official NV5/NVResman drivers? I'm still new to fiddling so much with my graphics drivers, but it seemed a bit strange to me that you told us to delete the resman kext, i thought it controlled the resolution for the desktop?

REgards,

BEnos.

Thanks for replying Lars, I will look into the NVCAP string if I work out how the NVDarwin driver works, until then I will be trying to get my card to work with the more official drivers. Maybe I should take some strings from NVDarwin to try on the official NV5/NVResman drivers? I'm still new to fiddling so much with my graphics drivers, but it seemed a bit strange to me that you told us to delete the resman kext, i thought it controlled the resolution for the desktop?

REgards,

BEnos.

Ok, i've got it to work now without NVdarwin. After deleting my NV*.* and Ge*.* kexts, i copied over the 10.5.6 ones (NV*.* and Ge*.*) from another installation which I did not install aquamac kexts on. I think they could have been stuffing with my card before? All I did was delete NVdarwin.kext and it worked on reboot... So there you go.

Dual DVI now works perfectly with these official kexts in 10.5.6 :D

Go here to generate a hex to place into your boot.plist so it will work.

http://forum.netkas.org/index.php?topic=222.0

Good luck osxing!

-benos.

PS. Here is my EFI Hex string and plist file which I generated the hex string from.

9600GT_EFI.zip

• 2 weeks later...

OK guys, I've got good news and bad news. The good news I got Quartz Extreme and hardware accelerated Core Image back without the use of any injectors; the bad news is I don't know if my notes are going to be of much use to you. However there may be something contained herein that helps you, so good luck.

As I stated in an earlier post I could tell the driver was kicking in as the fans on the GPU would drop down as they came under the control of the driver rather than the safety "on full" feature. I went to install XP on a separate disc this evening only to have the installer bomb out as soon as the default drivers had finished loading with a BSOD telling me my motherboard was not fully ACPI compliant. This is a complete load of {censored} as I've installed XP, Vista and Windows 7 on this machine without issue before. The problem lay with the fact that I have a development Stoakley (the same platform as the previous generation Mac Pros) motherboard from Intel which has numerous tweaks and options which may not necessarily appear in a regular release motherboard's BIOS. Also, it is an EFI based motherboard as well.

Given that I got the ACPI related error on the BSOD I reset the BIOS to it's optimized defaults and booted and voilà! All nicities showing in System Profiler with hardware acceleration etc.

So in a nutshell in my tweaking I'd enabled something in the BIOS which had a direct impact on power management to the graphics card - this explains why I got a "No Signal" message on my screen rather than any garbled display.

HOWEVER - I also made a secondary, completely vanilla install to attempt to diagnose the issue. I documented every step, and the parts which may be of assistance to any of you still having issues follow:

Added my device ID to Info.plist in NVDANV50Hal.kext and NVDAResman.kext (both vanilla updates from Apple's Combo Update to 10.5.6) using the same hex suffixes as the other device ID's in each plist as they differ from one plist to the other. I did not remove any existing entries. I may not have needed to do this but by adding my strings in and leaving the plist otherwise as it was when Apple constructed it I won't have lost anything.

Amended IOProbeScore in Info.plist of NVDANV50Hal.kext to 0 from 60000. This could be important - where a device has 2 or more kexts which can handle controlling of a device the IORegistry will choose the one with the highest IOProbeScore. Altering this to 0 seems to have a beneficial effect of working; as to whether 0 forces that to be used above all other values I don't know; I haven't done extensive testing on the subject. All I've managed to find out thus far is that a higher IOProbeScore will result in that kext being inserted into the IORegistry. As to whether a higher IOProbeScore value is a larger or lesser integer, I don't know. 0 causing a working system could indicate that less is more, but as I say I haven't done any extensive testing.

The other thing I did which I don't think will make any difference but will still add in here as an aside just in case some related anomaly might resolve your issues is I had removed all the Nvidia and GeForce files from /System/Library/Extensions with the commands from my earlier post, and edited the kexts on the new vanilla installation then copied them over to my main install, however I forgot to reset permissions so the system booted into GUI and complained about NVDANV50Hal.kext, NVDAResman.kext and GeForce.kext not being installed correctly.

Repairing permissions and rebooting with -f had no effect - the system still complained the kextrs had not been installed correctly. As such I moved them to another location and installed them with OSX86Tools.

I now get the following:

nVidia GeForce 9600 GT:

Chipset Model:	nVidia GeForce 9600 GT
 Type:	Display
 Bus:	PCIe
 PCIe Lane Width:	x16
 VRAM (Total):	512 MB
 Vendor:	NVIDIA (0x10de)
 Device ID:	0x0622
 Revision ID:	0x00a1
 ROM Revision:	nVidia GeForce 9600 GT OpenGL Engine [EFI]
 Displays:
HW191D:
 Resolution:	1440 x 900 @ 60 Hz
 Depth:	32-bit Color
 Core Image:	Hardware Accelerated
 Main Display:	Yes
 Mirror:	Off
 Online:	Yes
 Quartz Extreme:	Supported
 Rotation:	Supported
 QuartzGL:	Supported
Display Connector:

I just wanted to share my experience that the instructions in this thread (as well as the links from the OP) gave my PNY Verto GeForce 9600 GT 512MB full QE/CI support. I am running IPC 10.5.6.

One thing I do notice is an odd color flicker (barely noticable throbbing of red to green tint) in my videos during playback when Im editing in FCS2. This is highly unfortunate due to the fact that I'll have to do all my color correction at work now, but at least I can edit actual video content at home. Thanks for the informative post.

why a lot of argues?

i've a base install with vanilla kernel. 10.5.6 upgrade..no mod on any kext.. I use original native nvdaln50 and nvdaresman.

the only kext I put in S/L/E is Nvinjectgo.kext.. because is an injector (like an efi .. yes!) that fit perfectly with my Nvidia 9600GT 512mb on acer laptop. only issue (if you can say that)is tha no monitor is found. but i'm using 1280x800x32..

i think is enought!

then.. driver without mod. + injector = qe/ci!

Graphics by NVIDIA:

Modello Chipset: Graphics by NVIDIA

Tipo: Monitor

Bus: PCIe

Larghezza Lane PCIe: x16

VRAM (totale): 256 MB

Fornitore: NVIDIA (0x10de)

ID dispositivo: 0x0649

ID revisione: 0x00a1

Revisione ROM: NVinjectGo 0.2.0

Monitor:

Monitor:

Risoluzione: 1280 x 800

Profondità: Colore 32-bit

Core Image: Hardware accelerato

Monitor principale: Sì

Mirror: Spento

Online: Sì

Quartz Extreme: Supportata

Rotazione: Supportata

Mostra connettore:

Stato: Nessun monitor collegato

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone managed to get an EFI string which enables TV Out on the 9600GT?

*bump*

TV Out? Anyone? No?

Has anyone tried it at all for the 9600GT? :)

Having read the ROM for my card in its Base 64 conversion with NVCAP Maker it is the same as OSX86Tools or EFIStudio would output for DVI-I / DVI-I, but clearly there is a TV Out port which also forms part of the same firmware ROM...

Anyone got any ideas? :D

Lars,

I recently built the HTPC (in my signature) and after using a 'custom EFI string' in OSX86Tools, my card is fully supported. I'm using HDMI (on the card) and running it into my HDTV. As for the output setting that I used, I followed the guide on another site and did use "DVI-I / DVI-I" and everything works. Although, unfortunately for me, I tried the other 2 options first and only had VGA but no DVI until I found their guide and selected that option. It's all good now!

• 3 weeks later...

Then follow these steps:

Hth

Hallo Lars,

I need some help

did a clean install 10.5.6 with iphonetom's efi bootloader

removed all geforce kext's (no nvdarwin, nvinject etc)

system profiler shows 'No kext loaded'

then reboot to dos to backup rom, so i can use nvcap maker (04000000000003000c0000000000000700000000)

started osx86 tools > ad efi string gpu > Custom geforce > type; Nvidia geforce 9600 Gt > select vram 512mb > select nvcap > import string to boot editor > apply changes to com.boot.plist

after reboot no change

then put device-id in nvdanv50hal.kext and nvdaresman.kext > repair permissions

reboot and blackscreen after driver kicks in

removed the nvdaresman.kext, so i can boot again

also tryed dvi-dvi ncap setting's stil black screen after reboot

the card is a evga 9600gt 512mb Ssc

don't know what i'm doing wrong?

thnx

T.

edit; also tested the EFI Hex string from Benos, same result, nvdanv50hal.kext loaded but stil black screen

I've managed to get my PNY Verto GeForce 9600 GT 512MB working in my Hack with Apple-shipped drivers under Leopard (10.5.6). It's pretty straightforward. You'll need to add an EFI string in the com.apple.Boot.plist file. The procedure is well documented.

I thought at first that I needed to hack the Info.plist files in NVDANV50Hal.kext and NVDAResman.kext to add my card's ID, as in generalmilk's post. This turned out not to be the case. You don't need to touch the kexts at all! I saw aqua-mac's thread about the 9800 GTX and decided to try it without the hacked kexts. Whaddya know, it worked!

System Profiler shows Quartz Extreme and Core Image as fully supported with this card.

Hope this helps someone with this great value graphics card!

BFG TECH NVIDIA GEFORCE 9600GT 512MB GDDR3

IM HAVING A REALLY HARD TIME GETTING MY GRAPHICS CARD TO WORK I HAVE RESTORE THE COMPUTER OVER 10 TIMES KEEP GETTING ALL KINDS OF ERROR MESSAGES AND CRASHING.

FINALLY TODAY AT 6AM AFTER 4 HRS I FINALLY GOT THE IPC RUNNING IN NORMAL MODE.

I HAVE A

I REALLY NEED HELP WITH THIS I INSTALLED THE DRIVER THAT AQUA MAC UPLOADED BUT STILL NO LUCK. I WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE COULD HELP ME I WOULD APPRECIATE A TON. I REALLY NEED TO GET FINAL CUT UP AND RUNNING ON BOTH OF MY MONITORS. THANKS

I KNOW I NEED TO ADD SOME EFI STRINGS LAST TIME I DID IT I TOTALLY MESS THE IPC UP..

I WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE COULD COPY THEIR STTINGS HERE SO I CAN COPY TO MY IPC. I HELP ME GET THIS GOING....

THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

MOTHERBOARD-INTEL 915PBL

110 GB HARD DRIVE

2TB EXTERNAL

IF YOU NEED ANYMORE INFO ON MY SYSTEM PLEASE LET ME KNOW.

M.ALEX.ALVAREZ@GMAIL.COM

THANKS AGAIN

Hallo Lars,

I need some help

did a clean install 10.5.6 with iphonetom's efi bootloader

removed all geforce kext's (no nvdarwin, nvinject etc)

system profiler shows 'No kext loaded'

then reboot to dos to backup rom, so i can use nvcap maker (04000000000003000c0000000000000700000000)

started osx86 tools > ad efi string gpu > Custom geforce > type; Nvidia geforce 9600 Gt > select vram 512mb > select nvcap > import string to boot editor > apply changes to com.boot.plist

after reboot no change

then put device-id in nvdanv50hal.kext and nvdaresman.kext > repair permissions

reboot and blackscreen after driver kicks in

removed the nvdaresman.kext, so i can boot again

also tryed dvi-dvi ncap setting's stil black screen after reboot

the card is a evga 9600gt 512mb Ssc

don't know what i'm doing wrong?

thnx

T.

edit; also tested the EFI Hex string from Benos, same result, nvdanv50hal.kext loaded but stil black screen

The way I solved the blackscreen issue was to reset my EFI settings to defaults. My motherboard uses a genuine EFI and not a BIOS, so this may or may not work for motherboards which still use a BIOS.

Something I'd amended in my EFI (I'd enabled a LOT of advanced features of my board) was screwing the power management to the PCIe port I think, causing the card to cut the power to the DVI ports once the voltage to the fan dropped as the kext kicked in to manage the fan's speed.

Hope it works for you.

I've managed to get my PNY Verto GeForce 9600 GT 512MB working in my Hack with Apple-shipped drivers under Leopard (10.5.6). It's pretty straightforward. You'll need to add an EFI string in the com.apple.Boot.plist file. The procedure is well documented.

I thought at first that I needed to hack the Info.plist files in NVDANV50Hal.kext and NVDAResman.kext to add my card's ID, as in generalmilk's post. This turned out not to be the case. You don't need to touch the kexts at all! I saw aqua-mac's thread about the 9800 GTX and decided to try it without the hacked kexts. Whaddya know, it worked!

System Profiler shows Quartz Extreme and Core Image as fully supported with this card.

Hope this helps someone with this great value graphics card!

hello can you send me a message of how to do this more precisely, and what software update to have, like 10.5.6 or something