Studio XPS 13

digital8

222 posts in this topic

I was wondering if the firewire port is working?

R=Im not sure since i hadnt tried anything yet..but..im pretty sure it works (its detected)

Also, has anyone been able to test the express card? I would like to add a FW800 card to maybe run some external drives for backup and offloading.

R=No clue sorry, i dont have any express card =(

How is WiFi and bluetooth?

R=Wifi works OOTB (if you get Dell's 1510) if you get 1515 it doesnt work, bluetooth doesnt work atm

Cheers, Nano

I was wondering if the firewire port is working?
Yes, it's working, at least enough for my external firewire dvd burner.
bluetooth?
The bluetooth controller shows up as a usb device, and my bluetooth mouse works as a dumb 3 button mouse without any bluetooth drivers (just like under windows).
great job everyone on getting OS X to work on this machine.
Thanks, I could really use some help as progress is slow.

Culd sum1 help me out by sharing what are the packages/kexts to be checked during the install...& if there are any pitfalls to watch out for to get a smooth working install.

This seems like a recurring question and this thread is getting messy. I've organized what I know so far to a new thread:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=161650

bcc9, just wondering, had you tried the new Voodoo ps2 kext? it didnt worked for me, though, my system is a mess atm.....Ill reinstall and check. My audio still working whenever he wants, so..again Ill reinstall and start over!

It was weird with the new vodoo kext, im pretty sure that tapping worked or at least partially, but i couldnt move the mouse. THOUGH trackpad prefpanel will show on System Prefences!

Cheers

Nano

bcc9, just wondering, had you tried the new Voodoo ps2 kext? it didnt worked for me, though, my system is a mess atm.....Ill reinstall and check. My audio still working whenever he wants, so..again Ill reinstall and start over!

It was weird with the new vodoo kext, im pretty sure that tapping worked or at least partially, but i couldnt move the mouse. THOUGH trackpad prefpanel will show on System Prefences!

Cheers

Nano

@pcmnano, thanks a mil for all the advice in setting up the OS n kexts...altho the keypad is workin ok, the sys prefs dont have the trackpad pref panel & just as ur case, my sound keeps popping in one bootup n is gone in the other. does this have anything to do with the plist by chance,Im using the same one that you have uploaded?

Should I install the voodoo kext again for the trackpad?

hi! i got a dell studio xps 13

i tried to install leo4allv3 on it and the version 4 or 5 (cant remeber, which one but the one that is Server). however, both give me a problem after installation: Operating System not found. I am trying to install a dual boot with vista 64. any ideas?

i tried to do fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0 and flag all the partitions i have as a active, but still it doesnt work. neither vista nor leo wants to boot. eventually i repaired the computer with vista boot disc. now i am back to having vista only.

Is anybody else encountering a problem with shut down? I have everything working (multi-touch trackpad, wifi, audio, video) but when I shut down my hotkeys and hinge lights stay on. I can't even press the power button to turn it back on, I have to hold down the power button to do a hard shut off, and then turn it back on. Anybody encounter this/have a solution?

Is anybody else encountering a problem with shut down? I have everything working (multi-touch trackpad, wifi, audio, video) but when I shut down my hotkeys and hinge lights stay on. I can't even press the power button to turn it back on, I have to hold down the power button to do a hard shut off, and then turn it back on. Anybody encounter this/have a solution?

@kenten05 - Yeah, I have the same problem, altho it doesnt happen all the time.I have to press down the power button for total switchoff.

@kenten05 - Yeah, I have the same problem, altho it doesnt happen all the time.I have to press down the power button for total switchoff.

Yea, thats what I've been doing but it can't be good for the system if you do it constantly.

same problem here, yesterday i turn off the computer (I have to hold down the power button to do a hard shut off) and put it in a laptop-bag. An hour later i felt that the bag was warm, very warm. Laptop out of the bag and it was so hot that i can't hold it in my hands. After removing the battery, it's cools down. Very very strange. Be carefull. I've wondering if i had no notice of an hot laptop in the bag, what will happens... :huh:

lmao..yes its because AppleHDA kexts.......if VoodooHDA is repaired for the chipset, we could have that fixed. On the other side, it doesnt happen anything if you turn off the computer by pressing the button 5 secs.

So, kenten, the trackpad kext you found works better than VoodooPS2????

Anyone with 9500m? I had being very busy to keep up my research on making both cards to work =(

Cheers

Nano

lmao..yes its because AppleHDA kexts.......if VoodooHDA is repaired for the chipset, we could have that fixed. On the other side, it doesnt happen anything if you turn off the computer by pressing the button 5 secs.

So, kenten, the trackpad kext you found works better than VoodooPS2????

Anyone with 9500m? I had being very busy to keep up my research on making both cards to work =(

Cheers

Nano

Yea, I like the PS2controller from the dell mini 9 forums better. The trackpad works upon resume and scrolling is smoother (not nearly as smooth as a real mac though). If anybody else is interested you can find them here: http://mydellmini.com/forum/touchpad-drive...577.html#p45996

I've been tossing and turning about getting one of these as there on Dell Outlet for quite a discount - how well do they run?

The specs is what has drawn me to them, but i cant help thinking i should pay extra for the macbook instead :S

hi again.

i mentioned earlier my osx doesn't want to boot after installation. nothing happens at all, no messages. the partition is setup as primary, everything seems to be in order. i found out that my hard drive is SCSI. maybe osx boots only from SATA? just wondering.

• 2 weeks later...
WiFi works here on the studio xps 13.

How?

Put a Dell wireless card mini PCIe 1390 or simular in the WWan slot.

I just got an 8 dollar 1390 from ebay and it works perfectly. it got recognized instantly through AirPort. Thanks for the idea!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The Dell Studio XPS 13 seems to be very similar to the Macbook Pro 13. In specs I see that the studio xps has better hdd, more ram for cheaper.

I'm wondering does the trouble it gets you worth the 300-400 price difference? Considering the battery life of the macbook pro also seems to be better... I mean it's not like the huge 3000$ difference you get when shopping for mac pros.. I might be considering the macbook pro instead of the dell studio xps... tell me how is your xps running please.

• 1 month later...