Studio XPS 13

digital8

222 posts in this topic

Hi,

I'm interested in purchasing a Studio XPS 13, I have successfully installed OSx86 on my desktop (audio/video/wifi working :censored2::D:D), now what I wasn't able to find if the following hardware is supported:

Video:

NVIDIA® GeForce® 9400M G

NVIDIA® GeForce® 9500M - 256MB

Wifi:

Dell 1515 Wireless N Mini-Card

(Is this a broadcom chipset?)

Bluetooth:

Bluetooth® Internal (2.0) mini-card

I hope you guys can help me? Thanks.

Robbert

• 3 weeks later...

I spent a couple hours last night trying to install iDeneb 10.5.6, but both times I got kernel panics on reboot after installation. First install I tried vanilla kernal and second was the Voodoo. Right now I am stuck but will keep trying. Hopefully I can get this figured out or if someone has an idea chime in. This is a pretty solid laptop.

Just some notes to add to the post: Uses the Nvidia MCP79 controller/bridge. The wired ethernet is also part of the Nvidia MCP79. Built in wireless (Dell 1515) is using an Atheros chipset AR928X.

I read somewhere that the next Mac mini will use this same MCP79, so maybe there is still hope.

I seem to be making progress. When using iDeneb 10.5.6 using the following install options:

Chipset mcp67

Kernel Voodoo 9.5.0

Dont select any graphics driver as the kernel will panic on boot.

System boots up fine, wired Ethernet works oob. Graphics is working but only at 1024X768. No audio yet.

My next step is to get graphics working, then audio. If anyone has any suggestions on the Nvidia card, both cards are displayed, but only one used. I will post the device id's later on, let me know.

Just an update, 2 graphics cards are displayed in system Profiler, seems to be using what appears to be the 9400M which is device ID 0x0866. Tried NVKush, but that just made it kernel panic on boot. If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it. Tested also USB works fine, Express Card slot works as well, tested with a wifi card Atheros AR5008 and was detected automatically as airport. Still havent had any luck with Audio which appears to be Nvidia HD Audio.

I am also working on getting Powermanagement working as well. I downloaded and installed the bundle from here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=126888 but the battery icon shows that there are no batteries available.

A couple issues, but I think we can get them sorted out.

• 2 weeks later...
try the nvinject ,

running a 9300m , it's an quadro 160m

nvinject 0.2.1 dual

with EFI,

what made you go for the xps ? instead of a macbook ?

Thanks for the reply, I tried the nvinject 0.2.1 kext just on its own but it kernel panics on reboot. I have never tried the EFI strings which is what I think is missing, I will have to search around for some guides to do this. If you have any helpful guides to point my way I would appreciate it. Thanks.

As for why I choose the xps13 over just a macbook, part price, part features. But the more and more I play with this, I am getting the feeling I should have just bought a unibody macbook.

I have a dell 1340 with geforce 9400m graphics.

I managed to get OSX to install with the XxX 10.5.6 distribution, with applenforceata selected during the install.

Before XxX I tried the iPC livedvd, and that would hang during boot, apparently due to lack of nvidia sata support.

Older distributions such as kalyway boot & install but the OS randomly hangs, apparently due to problems with the sata drivers.

With the XxX distro, the sata controller & ethernet are supported fully, but video by default is vga resolution and simple operations such as moving windows cause graphic refresh problems.

With osx86tools, I was able to generate a graphics EFI string and now the resolution defaults properly. But quartz extreme still is turned off.

Searching leads me to the following threads to get quartz extreme working:

"Manual nVidia installation, Guide for all nVidia boards"

and "qe/ci on shared nvidia cards project"

But where did these threads go??

The later thread is referenced in this post: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=104346

but the link is broken.

Since this notebook shares the very same chipset & graphics as the macbook it seems like it should be easy in theory to get the video to work fully. Just a matter of getting the PCI id for the video identified properly?

Thanks bcc9, I am now in the same boat as you. I have the correct resolution 1280X800, Quartz GL is enabled, but Quartz Extreme is disabled. I agree with that since this has the same chipset MCP 79 as the macbook, it should be an easier install.

Now we just need to get quartz extreme working as well as audio.

hiho

how did u get the efi string i cant choose a 9500M or 9400M ??? =(

hiho

You need to select Custom and use the name nVidia GeForce 9400M GS (atleast thats what I used)

mhh i can only boot into -x mode and the x86Tools give me an error if i try do add the string =(

any idea?

ERROR : /bin/sh: /Applications/OSx86: No such file or directory (127)

2 questions

1. with configuration did u use to installe? kernel? chipset ? with grafic driver?

2. which details did u use for the efi string? 32M , VGA / DVI-I ?

BTW my friend owns a new macbookpro is its maybe possible to copy his 9400M driver to my dell?

hiho

1. Fire up osx86 tools utility (I copied the package manually from the XxX dvd as I failed to install it as an option initially)

2. Select "Add EFI Strings/Boot Flag" button, thus bringing up "Boot Editor" window

3. Select "GFX Strings" button, thus bringing up GFX strings creator window

4. Graphics card radio button, select "Custom GeForce" (last entry)

5. Type in a name you make up like "nVidia GeForce 9400M"

6. Select 256MB for the VRAM

7. Select DVI-I/VGA for the NVCAP

8. Select Import String to Boot Editor

9. Selet Apply changes to com.apple.Boot.plist

Thanks bcc9, I am now in the same boat as you. I have the correct resolution 1280X800, Quartz GL is enabled, but Quartz Extreme is disabled. I agree with that since this has the same chipset MCP 79 as the macbook, it should be an easier install.

Now we just need to get quartz extreme working as well as audio.

Yes I'm thinking there's got to be a rather simple EFI patch to get this mapped correctly. Too bad the relevent threads in the nvidia forum seem to have been deleted, it's making it hard to dig deeper.

dmesg seems to be revealing a hint as to what is going wrong:

NVDANV50HAL loaded and registered.
IGPU: family specific matching fails
Matching service count = 0

I've also done some research and noticed that the PCI device ID for the dell's geforce9400m is 0866, whereas the macbook's device ID is 0863. I think this shouldn't matter as the com.apple.Boot.plist just references the device by pci bus&slot, and in /System/Library/Extensions/NVDANV50Hal.kext/Contents/Info.plist, the entry says: 0x086010de&0xffe0ffff, and so either device IDs match.

mhh i can only boot into -x mode and the x86Tools give me an error if i try do add the string =(

any idea?

I don't know why you can't boot normally if you installed the 10.5.6 XxX distro and selected the applenforceata kext as well.
BTW my friend owns a new macbookpro is its maybe possible to copy his 9400M driver to my dell?
I think all the relevant kexts are already in the distro, but it could help if you could get him to post output from kextstat and dmesg boot output. Also perhaps details/screenshot of what about-this-mac says under graphics/displays.

Just my thoughts; but I'm new at this.

Hey there,

I'm new to Insanely Mac Forums (first post! YAY!) but I've been working with my Studio XPS 13 and dual booting for a few days. Here's what I've got:

Steady ver. of OS X 10.5.6, but no sound, video, and wireless. I'm thinking that the kext creator in the ver. I installed would probably do the trick for installing Psirus's kext and all that jazz... I'll be sure to let ya'll know how it goes when I try it. Should be done with school in about.... an hour or 2, so I can work on it from there. Cross your fingers! :D

--Japandler

woohoo i installed the appleNForceATA driver and now it boots fine!

did anyone tried to install the new nvidia driver??? actually the should support the 9400M ...look at the MacPro kextstats.

my install specs

iPC 10.5.6

Vanilla 9.5

MPC795 chipset

PS2keyboard fix(need!!!!)

appleNforceATA(did ugrade later)

--------------

But i kicked it again by installing firewire fix -.-

did anyone tried to install the new nvidia driver??? actually the should support the 9400M ...look at the MacPro kextstats.

my install specs

iPC 10.5.6

Vanilla 9.5

MPC795 chipset

PC2keyboard fix(need!!!!)

appleNforceATA(did ugrade later)

I am curious how you got Vanilla kernel working. Whenever I choose Vanilla it would kernel panic on startup. I am using iDeneb 10.5.6, I remember having problems with iPC that it would hang before install.

mhh strange ...works fine for me ,now...ethernet + firewire..but dunno how xD i installed random from the cd folder ...but appleNforceLAN is crashed and now everything works great.

next issuses...make WIFI and DDR3 1066 recognizable for OSX

The kextstat is pretty interesting:

75	2 0xbde000   0x25f000   0x25e000   com.apple.NVDAResman (5.4.0) <74 73 18 6 5 4 2>
76	0 0xe3d000   0x255000   0x254000   com.apple.nvidia.nv50hal (5.4.0) <75 5 4>
77	0 0x1092000  0x98000	0x97000	com.apple.GeForce (5.4.0) <75 74 73 18 12 6 5 4 2>

My XxX based system only has the first 2 of these 3 kexts loaded, and the version numbers for the ones from the XxX distro are 5.3.6, not 5.4.0. Is the macbook running plain 10.5.6?

The dmesg output doesn't look so useful. I was hoping to see the kernel messages from when the above modules were being loaded. But it looks like you just got a snapshot of the system from a resume from suspend. If you ran dmesg right after booting it should have some diagnostics about loading the above modules.

You're welcome for the ata pointer :)

No, where are these new nvidia drivers?

I am curious how you got Vanilla kernel working. Whenever I choose Vanilla it would kernel panic on startup. I am using iDeneb 10.5.6, I remember having problems with iPC that it would hang before install.
With the XxX distribution, I only selected appleNForceATA, and left everything else as default, including the kernel.

Probably a few of the other options would be useful, like the AtherosWireless module but I sure wish there was some complete info on what each module is supposed to fix and under what circumstances. The modules are hardly self documenting.

i noticed the same and tried to install all 3 kext but i dunno y bit it's not loading the Geforce file

Yes the macbook pro runs on 10.5.6(bought 1 week ago)

So what did you mean when you wrote "did anyone tried to install the new nvidia driver???"? Which drivers?

I looked at the new PPF3 version of XxX and it has an NVidiaExtended package but the kexts inside are still just version 5.3.6.

I also manually loaded the geforce kext but it didn't magically fix anything.