SOLVED! Oriental Translation SOLVED!

SticMAC™

6 posts in this topic

Thanks for helping, if you can?!

I received this from a friend, it's fairly large, 4m x 1,5m. Can anyone help in translating this for me? It's been bugging the hell out of me, not knowing what it means!

Also the picture symbolizes something, I see different things in the paintwork than the Wife!

You'll be hard-pressed to find someone who can. It's Chinese cursive, which besides needing to be able to understand Hanzi (normal characters), you also need to be able to read cursive, another task in itself.

Thanx for the reply!!

Well, if you could figure that out, maybe someone else knows someone that can help/read/decipher it for me!?

SticMAC

You'll be hard-pressed to find someone who can. It's Chinese cursive, which besides needing to be able to understand Hanzi (normal characters), you also need to be able to read cursive, another task in itself.

Wow... And I thought reading handwritten Chinese/Japanese was difficult enough... ;)

As Aurora said, reading cursive Chinese calligraphy is an art in it's own. I could only make out a few characters out of it (心, 中, 水, and a few other simple characters), but of course, you can't get the meaning without being able to read everything...

Even the artist's stamps at the end (written in ancient Chinese characters) is easier to read than the calligraphy.

I'll try to ask my aunt next time I see her. She is fluent in both oral and written Chinese. Can't guarantee that she'll be able to read it, though. :P

Quote from Wikipedia: "Cursive script is faster to write than other styles, but also harder to read. It is quite often the case that persons who are capable of reading printed Chinese find themselves completely illiterate when confronted with this particular style of writing."

That said, don't get your hopes up too high, yet. :)

Solved!!

My Wife's colleagues in China has been able to "translate" it!!

I quote:

"The general meaning of the text, but difficult of explain and more difficult to translated into English...., it is art!

A pair of horses galloping the grasslands,

We cherish our family with united heart

the rest of the text is just the author and the date written in lunar year."

Now the picture kinda makes sense....

SticMAC

ps, Thanks for the support though!