Loading a .dmg crashes OS X

mattyribbo

36 posts in this topic

OK, got a working OS X running on my acer aspire 5315, version 10.5.6

Problem is, every time I load a mountable dmg file, it says mounting... the screen scroll dims, then freezes and crashes.

Any suggestions why this is happening, or how to fix it?

EDIT: OK after looking around, I found http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...p;#entry1045768 - only thing now is to get a copy of seatbelt.kext - If anyone has a copy they can post without me extracting it that would be helpful.

You are going to want to keep a copy of the 10.5.6 seatbelt.kext as a backup.

The 10.5.6 version is designed to work with the latest 9.6.0 kernel. The latest Voodoo kernel is at 9.5.0 but they should be releasing a new version in the next month or so. Depending on the kernel you are using you may want this file in the future.

I would give it a second go around. Place the seatbelt.kext (that you downloaded) on to your desktop.

Open Terminal and type (pressing enter after each line):

sudo -s
cd /System/Library/
cp -r ~/Desktop/seatbelt.kext Extensions/
chmod -R 755 Extensions/
chown -R root:wheel Extensions/
touch Extensions/
rm -Rf Extensions.mkext
diskutil repairpermissions /

*Reboot with -v -f

Also do me a favor. Open terminal and type:

uname -a

Post what it says

sorry that it did not work for you. But just be safe

1. did you do the proper installation.. e.g. touch Extensions, remove cache, and repair permissions.

2. the kernel, the system.kext has to be in pair to ensure diskimagemounter work properly.. so what kernel are you using and what system.kext is used?

No, I am extracting it out of iATKOS 5i CD (10.5.5). That has now done the trick, and loading dmg's are working again. No more kernel panics.

Thanks alot :(

Also,

Picanto:~ mattribbins$ uname -a
Darwin Picanto.lan 9.5.0 Darwin Kernel Version 9.5.0: Tue Oct 14 07:39:11 IST 2008; Voodoo; Beta 2c :xnu-1228.7.58/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_I386 i386

No, I am extracting it out of iATKOS 5i CD (10.5.5). That has now done the trick, and loading dmg's are working again. No more kernel panics.

Thanks alot :)

Also,

Picanto:~ mattribbins$ uname -a
Darwin Picanto.lan 9.5.0 Darwin Kernel Version 9.5.0: Tue Oct 14 07:39:11 IST 2008; Voodoo; Beta 2c :xnu-1228.7.58/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_I386 i386

It looks like you are running a beta of the Voodoo Kernel. They have Release 1 available and hey should be releasing a new version with the latest kernel version sometime in the next month or so. Keep a lookout for it. You will need the 10.5.6 seatbelt that you backed out.

You should see it announced on the forums and you can check their site at http://code.google.com/p/xnu-dev/

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

same problem for me, actually.

I am running IPC 10.5.6 which originally had a 9.4 Kernel.

I then updated to this Kernel:

Darwin noname 9.5.0 Darwin Kernel Version 9.5.0: Sat Dec 6 19:39:54 IST 2008; Voodoo; Release 1.0 :xnu-1228.7.58/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_I386 i386

I then extracted seatbelt.kext (by just searching it on the disc) from Ideneb 10.5.5 and installed it.

I was then able to install adium.dmg, which wouldnt work before.

But I still get Kernel panics when I, for instance, try to install JDownloader.dmg.

Why could that be ?

Greetings

Steka

lol it tells me there's no seatbelt.kext on the IPC DVD !?

I can just see "Install Mac OS X" "DVD Sharing" and "Mach_Kernel" when I browse to the DVD.

And when I search for it it tells me theres no seatbelt.kext.

It's in one of the patches!! Just rerun the installer, then unmark everything and only install the seatbelt.kext

Also there are 5 other topics on this exact issue also with links to the correct file, but I presume it is easier to start a new thread than to look at old ones!?

SticMAC

I did it with pacifist now.

Extractet the seatbelt.kext from the extensions directory. When I rebooted with -v -f my pc stalled.

Afterwards the same error when mounting .dmg files appeared.

I'll try the reinstall thingy now :wub:

Yup, I did..

With IPC 10.5.6. it seems I installed Kernel 9.4. I then updated to Kernel 9.5 from Ideneb V1.3 which worked fine for some .dmg files. I also installed seatbelt.kext from that Ideneb release.

For some I still keep receiving a Kernel Panic though. Can't install Jdownloader for example. IWork, Itunes, Quicktime install worked fine ever since thoug...even with the old kernel and seatbelt.

*Edit*

Nope... doesn't work.

Maybe I should downgrade to Kernel 9.4 again to install seatbelt 10.5.5 ?