AR5008X causing freezes

villiansv

1 post in this topic

Hello everyone. I finally managed to get OSX86 running on my Acer laptop (F5SL). However, I'm having weird problems with my wireless.

The chipset is, as reported by windows, AR5008X. From searching on these forums, I gather it's what's actually used in Apple hardware, so it came as no surprise that it worked out of the box for me (using iPC 10.5.6 release, PPF3). The card is recognized as an Airport Extreme and connects to my 802.11n router without problems.

However, I've noticed it inevitably causes hard freezes, particularly when using the internet more extensively. Downloading a file is almost impossible (e.g. trying to get the iTunes/QT/Safari updates) because as soon as network activity goes up, the machine simply freezes (no screen messages, just plain freeze, mouse/keyboard unresponsive). The only solution is to poweroff by holding down the power switch. Plain browsing eventually causes a freeze too.

I'd appreciate it if anyone can shed some light on the problem. I initially thought it was caused by WPA2, but using no authentication on the network whatsoever still causes freezes. Also tried setting the router to 11g only and 11b only mode, same thing.

BTW, if I turn the Airport off, the machine has gone for over 2 hours without a freeze (and then was shut down by me), while with it on it never goes for longer than 15-20 minutes.

If any extra info is required, let me know and I'll provide it. Thanks in advance.