OSX partition got converted to linux and is not bootable

2 posts in this topic

I recently installed Ubuntu in addition to Win XP and iDeneb 10.5.5

In order to install Ubuntu, I had to use parted from Ubuntu live CD to resize my HFS+ partition. I restarted my laptop and it gave me boot1: error at the bootup stage. I restarted again and quickly pressed F8 and Darwin was showing Linux instead of Mac OSX.

Thinking that with installation of Ubuntu and Grub it would fix the issue, I went ahead and used the new chunk of free space to install Ubuntu. After installation, did an fdisk and my HFS+ partition was showing as Linux. Funny thing is that I am able to mount the Mac OS X drive in Ubuntu and see its contents. I also tried adding OS X into grub menu and it would give me the same boot1: error. F8 works as well and I am able to see that same screen in darwin after picking Mac OS X in grub.

When I boot off the OS X install cd, the disk utility shows the partition as Linux as well.

I figured it out. I booted off the OS X install cd in single user mode. Then I did fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0, typed setpid 2 (2 is the partition number for my Mac OSX) and typed af, which is the id for HFS+. Now it is seen as a correct partition and boots fine.

Oh and I'm happy that I have both, Grub and darwin, in case I need to troubleshoot Mac OS.