Help Installing OSx86 on a Gateway P-7805u

sega_phreak

340 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

I just found another way to get QE/CI working on the 9800m GTS. Firstly do note that I have only tried this on iDeneb v1.4 10.5.6 and iPC OSX86 10.5.6 Universal PPF5 Final and BOTH work. After a clean install:

1. Install aquamacs 9000 v2 drivers. Restart computer.

2. Install NVDarwin 1.2.5 with 1024mb VRAM selected. Restart again.

3. Go to /system/library/extensions and input the correct device id of the 9800m GTS in all of these files:

NVDANV50HAL.kext

NVDARESMAN.kext

NVDARESMANPPC.kext

NVDARWIN.kext

4. What I have done is just insert the device id in the info.plist of all the above files. To get to the info.plist just right click and select show package contents.

Now the above part you can do manually or just download the files I have attached and use kexthelperb7 to install these 4 files.

5. Then, use OSX86tools and repair permissions and clear the cache. Restart and voila working QE/CI. Don't forget to enable Quarts GL in OSX86Tools as well. Only thing is that it doesn't show the name of the video card in the about this mac... option. But other than that it is working wonderfully. Figured this out just by playing around here and there and it just worked. Don't know whether it yields better FPS than the method onj88 mentioned. Try it.

6. Oh, you do not need to edit the com.apple.boot.plist file at all. Just delete the efi string if you did edit it. Just a note to backup your original files just in case it does not workout for you.

Here's the link: modified kext

Oh forgot to ask, does anyone knows how to get the input headphone to work? I have sound from the speakers only. I guess now we just need to work out the other kinks like webcam, wifi (hopefully somebody can get the intel 5100 to work), and ethernet. Has anyone tried the hdmi port, vga port, esata, firewire, and multicard reader?? I have not tried those cause I dont have any such equipment to try on. Would love to hear about those. Thanks.

Chop5t1ck... I am wondering if there is any noticable performance boost doing the install the way you described... If you get a minute run the openGL viewer tests and see what kind of results you get.

I ran it with 'benchmark' and 'transparency' selected and on the 2.1 test was seeing 55 FPS, it would be interesting to compare.

Onj88... have you heard what the compatability is like with that Airport card and the gateway bios... Are there Windows / Linux drivers available for it? I would like to use an internal card at somepoint, but I don't want to take a step backwards with other OS's. The intel card that shipped with the laptop does have a linux driver available...

Hey megaprimal,

Did the opengl viewer tests on the settings you said. Got around 58 FPS which is similiar. So yeah no difference. Anyway just bought a D-Link DWA 140 wireless usb and it worked wonderfully. Its great now only thing I want to fix is the webcam and sleep. Any ideas megaprimal or anyone on how to get these 2 to work?? Thanks.

Webcam I am thinking should be a possiblity. I saw it work on one of my many installs (I used it to take a snapshot for the user account icon), so I was kind of surprised it is not working for me now. When I try to take the snapshot now, the light goes green, but nothing is captured. As far as I know it is a usb device, so maybe disabling the legacy usb has some impact there???

Has anyone tried enabling legacy USB to see what happens with the overall system? I am going to give that a shot tonight just for the heck of it. If not, I will start to research what other options we have to try to get the cam up and running correctly.

Megaprimal, the airpot adapter is the same as the dell truemobile 1500 (Broadcom BMC93211), so yes driver for

windows is available, not sure about linux though.

....and I may have found a solution for webcam, there`s a program called camtwist, it`s free , you have to use it

in conjuction with photobooth, ichat , skype, anyways I haven`t tested yet but I will let you guys know...

onj88

Ok, so I downloaded camtwist here http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/24275/camtwist (Thanks ONJ88). After I installed the application and opened it, my webcam started working in photo booth, but only if I enable PIP in camtwist. There is also about a 5 second delay when viewing the camera in photo booth...

Camtwist correctly recognizes the camera as "Gateway USB 2.0 webcam" which leads me to believe it should work without cam twist it is just a matter of someone smarter than myself figuring out how :)

Megaprimal,

Yes same behavior as yours after 10.5.6 update, before I could go to apple>Sleep and it would go to sleep and I could wake it up by pressing power button, but it wouldn`t go to sleep by itself.

...Oh, and before update when I put computer to sleep everything would shut off HD, Cpu, lights, as expected, but now it shuts the HD off but the rest of components are still running...anyways tried couple of fixes like kexts for sleep fix, changing hibernatemode to 0, none made a difference.

Thanks

onj88

Megaprimal,

Yes same behavior as yours after 10.5.6 update, before I could go to apple>Sleep and it would go to sleep and I could wake it up by pressing power button, but it wouldn`t go to sleep by itself.

...Oh, and before update when I put computer to sleep everything would shut off HD, Cpu, lights, as expected, but now it shuts the HD off but the rest of components are still running...anyways tried couple of fixes like kexts for sleep fix, changing hibernatemode to 0, none made a difference.

Thanks

onj88

onj88, have you tried the fix in this thread?

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...141324&st=0

SOLVED: Turn on "Restart automatically after a power failure" in Energy Saver -> Options. Credit to Jan Bird for this solution smile.gif

I just got my airport extreme card today, I went ahead and installed it and tested it under windows, works fine. Windows automatically detected it. I'm going to go a head and nuke and get osx86 running. I'll let you all know how things go. The install was super duper easy by the way, took off cover, took antenna wires off old card, unscrewed old card, put wires on new card, screwed in new card. The only bad thing is that it took forever for the card to get here from hong kong.

NCX001,

Good to hear it`s all working!!

It`s taking forever to get my card too, in fact I haven`t got mine yet ....can you share the link to the driver you used for windows that worked? I`m running windows vista 64.

Thanks

Onj88

Ive got a question. Probably a dumb one but. Ive tried installing with the steps you said you did and got it working but mine just keeps looping back through the initial install

Got a few issues still guys.

Things that don't work, (or I haven't gotten to work)

• Webcam
  • NIC
  • VGA out, maybe my issue though
  • Headphone jack
  • Battery data

Things I haven't tried:

• SD card reader
  • HDMI out

Any ideas guys?

....can you share the link to the driver you used for windows that worked? I`m running windows vista 64.

Vista 64 installed it automatically, didn't even need to be connected to the network.

Alright,

Sorry about the vauge post before. Wasnt 100% sure what was going on and thought i found something to fix it. Here it goes again.

Ive used the settings that Mega used to get it running on his rig. The last line with -v ends with a MDNResponder loading and just hangs there. Even in -x i cant get it to fully boot anymore. I got it to completly boot once with -w but after that one time it just never worked from there. Any ideas?

--Update--

Well now it till boot everytime as long as i have -x in it. When i try to load it -v (any combo except with -x) it will load up untill it talks about the HD with the os in it. Ill post up the correct line in a bit.

Just wanted to let all of you guys know----> You ROCK!

I saw the P-7805u at best buy and was upset that a machine with such specs should be able to run mac os. Mad that the mac book pro cost over $3000, and the specs on that don't even quite match the P-7805u. Anyways, I convinced the local best buy to sell me their display model (yes, I got the 1920x1200 display)!!!! ... and followed all these instructions, and it is working like a charm!

I added 2nd Drive to laptop, so each OS has 320 gig 7200rpm, who hooo!

BTW, I was going to try and put each OS on its OWN HD, but decided against it, and just partitioned each drive into 2, put both OS on first drive, then made 2nd drive 2 partitions for each OS. For future thought, can you put each OS on its OWN HD?

BTW, The following USB network drive works like a charm:

LinkSys WUSB600N

tried to follow these directions:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/lofiversi...hp/t131932.html

And did not work. Eventually, I determined that if using iAAtkos_5i, all you need to do is

download this driver:

http://www.liquidfists.com/mac/USBWireless-10.5.zip

Install it, then, I used OSx86 tools, cleared Kech, rebooted, and boom! Working like a charm.

(So do not worry about altering id's in info files.)

So anyways, thought I would somehow contribute. USB card a little expensive, BUT you will not have to take laptop apart, and the USB card is easy to find. Plus, it seems to work very, very well.

Peach my heroes.

- Rock

onj88, have you tried the fix in this thread?

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...141324&st=0

SOLVED: Turn on "Restart automatically after a power failure" in Energy Saver -> Options. Credit to Jan Bird for this solution smile.gif

I couldn't make works the sound. Can you explain me how? I didn't understand the instruction in page 1.

Also I VGA port does not work for me, when it detected my external Samnsung 22" connected, the laptop display turn black, and i have to force restart and disconnect the samsung.

Thank you!

Gaston.

I have a lenovo y510 and I was having the same problems so I just took out one of the memory sticks and I wanted toknow because I have windows 7 as an OS, I made my partition (20gigs) can still do a install of OSx86 10.5? I have iATKOS 5i v5..