Help Installing OSx86 on a Gateway P-7805u

sega_phreak

340 posts in this topic

I used Iatkos 10.5.5.

Someone was asking about audio and video drivers. See my last post on the first page, it includes the forums I used to get both of those working. I am still working on QE/CI but haven't had much time to mess with it.

I have done a complete repartition and reinstall of OSX from the IAtkos DVD, I did not remove a memory chip so the 4 GB of RAM does not appear to be an issue, but I left the Legacy USB disabled, I really don't have a need for it.

To get the Audio working, I still had to copy and paste the contents folder from the Audio.kext I mentioned in that last post on the first page as well.

I am not sure what the error(Boot0 error) is all about, I never had an issue with that one. I know I needed the Intel AHCI Sata driver, or I could not get it to boot regardless of what other options I chose, so make sure whatever you are using for the install includes that driver.

pwnx... are you looking to boot multiple OS, or just OSX?

Are you installing to the internal drive or to an external USB?

Do you have anything on the drive now that you can not stand to lose?

The way I did my partitions was boot up off the iAtkos dvd, go to the disk utility, and repartition the whole drive from there. (create all my partitions for multiple OS's). Go to partition and highlight the very top level on the left (the drive itself) and choose the number of partitions you want. I formatted the OSX Partition with HFS+ extended journaled (whatever they called it in disk utility) and formatted all the others as FAT32 as the FAT file system is recognized by most every OS.

The downside to this is that you have to have a pretty good idea about what partitions you are going to need in the future. There are tools available to change the number of partions and resize and combine partitions, but they are not 100% effective, and there is a risk to loosing data if you start playing with it later.

I don't store any real data on this laptop, it is all stored out on my network so a complete crash does not cost me anything but time to reinstall (at some point I will have images set up for each volume). I am planning on running OSX lepoard, Vista x64, Windows 7, and some flavor of Linux on this machine so I created 5 partitions (4 OS + a swap drive)

Once OSX was installed, I went back, booted off a Vista DVD, and reformatted one of my partitions for NTFS and installed that with no problem. The system still dual boots without a problem. I have read in some other threads that this is not the ideal way to go about installing mulitple OS's, but it is working for me, and I plan to install Linux next and play around with some boot loaders.

The instructions I posted above will wipe out EVERYTHING that is currently on your hardrive, so I only recomend this if you have nothing to lose. My thought is starting clean is the best way to go anyway, so make a backup of important stuff and start from scratch.

The keyboard and trackpad are working fine after disabling legacy USB and installing using the options listed on the last post of the first page.

There is some doubt in my mind as to whether that was the root cause or not, so I will probably turn it back on just to see, and play with it a little. I don't have any real need for Legacy USB so it is of no concern to me, I just want to know. :)

I also added the laptop battery driver and Marvel NIC driver on my last install, but I have not tested the nic to see if it is working.

Megaprimal

I've followed your instructions and everytime OSX boots up, it will hang at the loading screen. I can't seem to figure out what I'm doing wrong. I'll list exactly what I'm doing so if anyone can spot my error, let me know.

1. Disable Legacy USB in BIOS

2. Make sure AHCI is on in BIOS (it is by default)

3. Before I boot up with iATKOS 5i, I make sure not to have any USB mouse plugged in and I have my wireless switch on off

4. Boot up with iATKOS 5i

5. Partition my harddrive in Disk Utility

6. Since I will have OSX, Vista 64 and Windows 7, i make 4 partitions, with the 4th being media storage:

Partition 1: OSX (HFS+ Journaled)

Partition 2: Vista (FAT)

Partition 3: Windows 7 (FAT)

Partition 4: Misc (FAT)

7. I selected Master Boot Record under Options then Apply to Partition

8. I quit Disk Utility then select my destination hdd (only the OSX partition appears)

9. I select the following options under Customize in the Install Summary:

iATKOS v5i Main System (default)

PC EFI V9 (default)

AppleDecrypt (default)

SMBIOS-EFI (default) *I deselect this*

SMBIOS-EFI Air (select)

x86 ACPI (select)

Disabler.kext (default)

Intel AHCI SATA (select)

10. Install

11. Reboot (during this process, i remove the disc)

12. OSX Bootup and .... HANG

Help

The only difference I see with my setup is that you are selecting MBR... is there a particular reason you are trying to use it? I am dual booting XP x64 Ultimate and OSX86 without using MBR. I have the two addtitional partions setup for Linux and Windows 7, but have not installed them yet.

Also, as it seems you are getting pretty close, I would recommend adding the laptop battery driver. (it works with no other configuration). I tried the Marvel NIC driver, but it does not work, so I am going to start investigating that and QE/CI tonight.

It appears the Intel wireless is hopeless for a while, so I will also most likely get a usb wireless card for the time being.

The only difference I see with my setup is that you are selecting MBR... is there a particular reason you are trying to use it? I am dual booting XP x64 Ultimate and OSX86 without using MBR. I have the two addtitional partions setup for Linux and Windows 7, but have not installed them yet.

Also, as it seems you are getting pretty close, I would recommend adding the laptop battery driver. (it works with no other configuration). I tried the Marvel NIC driver, but it does not work, so I am going to start investigating that and QE/CI tonight.

It appears the Intel wireless is hopeless for a while, so I will also most likely get a usb wireless card for the time being.

So what partition map are you using if not MBR?

pwnx... are you looking to boot multiple OS, or just OSX?

Are you installing to the internal drive or to an external USB?

I'm trying to boot multiple OS (Vista 64-bit and OSX)

Tried usb w/out disabling legacy, and instead of boot0:error, I get a hang in the boot-up process. I used the exact same steps as segafreak.

Using the internal hd created the boot0:error issue.

I`m trying to install osx on my 7805u too and I`m getting stuck at startup after successful install, I can boot in safe mode using -x flag though.

I followed megaprimal`s setup, the only difference is I did not partition the drive I just went with the erase option choosing mac journaled..whatever...

I just saw a drive image of HP Mini on the green demon website, wondering if megaprimal would be willing to do that for us? ( just a shot in the dark =) )

BTW, it hangs at...Localhost usr/bi[]starting...

onj88

Eureka!!

I did my normal install...ofcourse it hangs on boot, however, i booted into safe mode and fixed the video by following the links to megaprimal's previous post:

"Anyway like I said I am up and running pretty well. I was able to install the 9000 series video kexts following the instructions located here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=132089 and updated the GFX strings using these instructions http://aquamac.proboards106.com/index.cgi?...&thread=509 My card is correctly recognized as a 9800m GTS with 1GB video memory."

After I was done, I rebooted but I was distracted during the reboot and wasn't able to boot into safe mode, but as it happens, I didn't need to. Now, onto the audio.

Woot.

Eureka!!

I did my normal install...ofcourse it hangs on boot, however, i booted into safe mode and fixed the video by following the links to megaprimal's previous post:

"Anyway like I said I am up and running pretty well. I was able to install the 9000 series video kexts following the instructions located here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=132089 and updated the GFX strings using these instructions http://aquamac.proboards106.com/index.cgi?...&thread=509 My card is correctly recognized as a 9800m GTS with 1GB video memory."

After I was done, I rebooted but I was distracted during the reboot and wasn't able to boot into safe mode, but as it happens, I didn't need to. Now, onto the audio.

Woot.

How did you fix the boot0: error? Also, would this work w/out disabling legacy usb? I'm afraid of getting that boot0:error again.

pwnx are you trying to install to an external usb drive?

legacy usb is essentially used to identify usb devices before an os or drivers are loaded... so if you are trying to install to an external drive you may be out of luck.

onj88 you are going to have to use the -x (safe mode) until you update the video card drivers. The instructions are on the last post of the second page, or were linked to again in sega's post above.

Now for the bad news... It looks like the intel wifi card is going to be quite sometime before there is support for it. There is a linux driver floating around out there, but none of the big players seem to be too amped up on working on getting it working in OSX. I bought a belkin usb wifi card for now, and may look at swapping the internal card if no support is on the horizion. The usb wifi works fine, the box listed OSX 10.4 under supported os, and I just installed that driver off the cd and connected to my network.

The video performance is also not what it should be, so I am looking for some additional help here! QE/CI should be 100% supported on this card, and neither are working. I ran a bench test and was seeing framerates between 5 and 7 fps which is about as good as a $12 integrated video card should be expected to produce so something is wrong there as well. This is my new primary objective so I will keep you all posted if anything develops.

******Just another quick update.

For the heck of it I decided to run the software update, and was able to download and install the 10.5.6 update from Mac with no problems. It hasn't fixed any of my other issues but what the heck... it worked :)

How did you fix the boot0: error? Also, would this work w/out disabling legacy usb? I'm afraid of getting that boot0:error again.

The only reason I got the boot0:error was because on the install screen, I didn't hit customize and properly customize the install. Once i did that, i just got the hang on the loading screen. After the hang, i booted up using -x, into safe boot, and corrected the video driver and I was golden.

megaprimal,

Thanks for your guide,I`m able to boot and I have sound and gfx support, still looking for a solution to QE/CI.

Over at the 7811fx thread, there`s a guy with same problems that solved it, I don`t know how, i will ask him.

Onj88

can someone explain exactly how they booted after finishing installation? Do you leave the DVD in? When I leave it in, it justs boots directly into the installation again. If I take it out and select the hd in which the partition was located in, it gives me the boot0:error thingy.

megaprimal,

Finally got QE/CI working ...here`s the steps...

1) delete efi string from your com.apple.boot.plist

2) download nvinstaller v.52 from http://scottdangel.com/blog/?page_id=20

3) install nvinstaller and during installation choose 512mb ram option do not choose go/mobile option, it gives black screen.

4) Reboot using -v -f flags and

done !!!

QE/CI works....!!!

Webcam doesn`t work, at least not in photobooth.

...anyways hope it works for you.

onj88

onj88 you da man! I just benchmarked this thing at 55 fps on openGL 2.1 with transparency enabled! I am well happy now!

I am having some trouble with webcam as well... not that I really care, but I am running out of stuff to troubleshoot with your help :)

Just as an FYI this NVInject fix still requires the 9000 v2 drivers mentioned earlier in this thread. I have been working on a fresh install, and had not installed the 9 series drivers. Following the NVinject install, no changes were shown until I installed 9000 series v2.

Another side edit.. to get 'About this Mac' to display the correct ammount of memory, use plist editor and open the NVinject.kext > Contents > Info.plist file. Find the key that says 'VRAM,totalsize' (under IOKitPersonalities > NVinject > entries to Add) The value will show as "data" in Plist edit as 00000020, change it to 00000040 . I don't know that this really affects performance as my benchmarks did not change, but it is nice to see it correctly.