Spec. chosen, any grapics card, case and PSU recommendations?

3 posts in this topic

Hi guys

Thanks for all of the great info on the forum. I've done my homework over the last two weeks, and got a pretty good grounding and understanding. I was going to buy an iMac but then got an awesome deal on a 20-inch apple cinema display, then got the keyboard and mouse to match.

So I couldn't resist building my own Mac compatible machine, I've bought my copy of Leopard and made a shopping list.

I'd like this set-up to be future proof but I don't need any high end capabilities. I'd like to play a game or two, but they don't have to be cutting edge. It's going to be multi-tasking video/music/writing/Photoshop etc most of the time. And quiet.

---

Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

2x Samsung Spin Point F1 SATAII NCQ 500GB

Intel Quad Core Pro Q6600

Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro 7

OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) PC2-6400C5

Samsung S223F - 22x DVD+/-/RW

---

I've been through the wiki and forum looking for suggestions and recommendations, but I'm having trouble finding the exact graphics cards, in stock in the UK.

The graphics card doesn't need to change the world, it just needs DVI and to not sound like a dyson. Silent preffered.

The case needs to be small, MicroAtx preferably with a powerful enough built in PSU. Quality over price.

Any direct links to products would be an absolute god send.

Thank you, all the best

The case needs to be small, MicroAtx preferably...

The motherboard you chose isn't mATX, it's full ATX. You either need to choose a mATX board that's compatible with OSX, or a full sized ATX case.

Thank you, OMG what an idiot I was so sure I had read it was MicroATX.

I've been surfing most of the afternoon trying to pick a good graphics card.... and I believe this one should do the trick nicely, its a XFX GeForce 8600 GT 512MB.

http://www.lambda-tek.com/componentshop/in...l?prodID=B87786

But I guess I'm going to have to start back at square one, and find a good MicroATX motherboard. What a numpty.

Thanks again for pointing that out.