ATI 9550 / X1050 AGP QE

sksupra

6 posts in this topic

I really hate having to post this but I have done so much reading and keeping getting confused. I have an Asus p5p800 mobo and and ATI 9550 / x1050 agp video card. Everything is working great, stable LAN, Sound etc, I just can't get QE enabled and have tried many things. IS there something I'm missing? Any help at all wld be greatly appreciated. If the card itself will not work, I'll gladly take recommendations. Thanks.

Kalyway 10.5.2

Display:

Type: Display

Bus: AGP

VRAM (Total): 128 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x4153

Revision ID: 0x0000

Kernel Extension Info: No Kext Loaded

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1024 x 768

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Software

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

Standard question.

For all having ATIRadeon9xxx.

Get info from ATIRadeon9700GLDriver.bundle. You see in Leopard that it is for PowerPC only!!!!

So QE is impossible.

But it is possible in Tiger when you have Universal binary library.

That's all.

• 2 weeks later...
Standard question.

For all having ATIRadeon9xxx.

Get info from ATIRadeon9700GLDriver.bundle. You see in Leopard that it is for PowerPC only!!!!

So QE is impossible.

But it is possible in Tiger when you have Universal binary library.

That's all.

Is it at all possible to compile the universal binary library for leopard, or is that more impossible?

• 2 years later...

Hello, I have "new" information that may be useful to those working to get the quaint ATIRadeon9700-series cards working with OpenGL and QE in Leopard. I have packaged all the ATI Drivers from what I believe is 9A241, a Leopard Preview DVD that I found in storage from when I ran it on my iBook G4 a few years ago. It seems that the drivers for ATI Radeon 9700, 8500 and 7500 series, as well as Rage128 & RagePro were written in Universal Binary format, including the missing GLDriver & VADriver bundles (Radeon9700) which were deliberately published as PPC-only for all releases of Leopard beyond the preview release. In order to use them, kext-helper all the drivers in each set that you wish to use (Radeon, Radeon8500, Radeon9700 or Rage*) after deleting your existing ones first (don't overwrite). OpenGL and CE will only initialize if the main kext version matches the bundles & plugins for your particular card. Don't use the OpenGL.framework from 9A241, as it hangs my system at loginwindow.

Note that in all public builds of Leopard: the Radeon & Radeon8500 drivers are exclusively PPC, including the main kext. The Radeon9700 kext is Universal but the GL & VA bundles are PPC-only and the Rage128/RagePro drivers do not exist. All the drivers in my package are Universal Binary, which opens new possibilities for experimentation on troublesome Radeon Mobility 9000 laptops, previously-working (in Tiger) Radeon Mobility 7500 laptops and Rage128 cards, which I also use.

It is entirely possible that the Leopard ATIRadeon9700 GL & VA drivers only work on "X" series Radeons, like the x300, x700 etc. I got corrupted graphics on my Radeon 9600, 9700 & X1050.

My original posting on this topic can be found here.

ATI_Universal_Leo_Drivers_9A241.dmg

The ATIRadeon8500 drivers yield a similar result as with the 9700 driver (corrupted GUI), but it's still a place to start, since these are the only Intel platform drivers for these chipsets in Leo that I know of. I tested the ATIRadeon8500.kext & associated drivers with a Radeon 9200 w/Device ID 5961.

If you are experimenting on ATI Rage 128 cards, you must use IOPCIFamily.kext v.2.1 from the 9A241 build, included below, or ATIRage128.kext won't load. Please Note that this version 2.1 is NOT the same version 2.1 that comes with the Intel 10.4.8 Combo Update (don't interchange them). Rage128-based cards like mine w/Device ID 5446 will boot to GUI and run OpenGL 1.2 tests faster than other OpenGL version tests.

If you are only working with Radeon Cards, IOPCIFamily.kext version 2.4.1 that comes with Kalyway 10.5.2 will work fine, so try your version first.

Remember when testing, that XBench and OpenGL Extensions Viewer may yield contradicting test results in some of these cases, provided that you can access the GUI.

IOPCIFamily_v.2.1_from_9A241.zip

Please Post Any Progress or Suggestions You May Have!

Edited by patattack120

• 1 year later...

I have a radeon 9700 card on my t42 im trying to get working. did anyone have any progress with the universal binary pack provided above?? I will be trying this on my t42 it seems the most promising in terms of getting radeon 9700 to work in leopard. any one tried this yet??