omni driver for ATI with QE/CI/GL

omni

163 posts in this topic

Here's the screenshot from my Apple Cinema Display 20" in DVI-D mode, 1680x1050x32 resolution showing clearly that there is TEARING in the image (look at the middle of the screen, across all the topics), and it's coming from Apple's IOAccelerator and not my driver. If I dont load the accelerator, there's no tearing in the image.

The accelerator itself could need some additional parameters or it depends on something else, no idea at the moment, and it's not really important to me right now. Everyone lived with tearing before - you will learn to live with it again until a final solution is made...

P.S. it was JaS who figured out to edit the ATIRadeon9700GA.plugin's Info.plist and match my framebuffer instead of IONDRVFramebuffer to get this to work, credits to him for that.

post-3389-1144806316_thumb.jpg

Man, I am salivating. There is nothing like running a 23" Cinema Display at 1280x1024 for a month or two to make you really appreciate accurate resolution above all else.

Thanks Omni! We're cheering for you!

Here's the screenshot from my Apple Cinema Display 20" in DVI-D mode, 1680x1050x32 resolution showing clearly that there is TEARING in the image (look at the middle of the screen, across all the topics), and it's coming from Apple's IOAccelerator and not my driver. If I dont load the accelerator, there's no tearing in the image.

The accelerator itself could need some additional parameters or it depends on something else, no idea at the moment, and it's not really important to me right now. Everyone lived with tearing before - you will learn to live with it again until a final solution is made...

P.S. it was JaS who figured out to edit the ATIRadeon9700GA.plugin's Info.plist and match my framebuffer instead of IONDRVFramebuffer to get this to work, credits to him for that.

Thanks omni, JaS, hopefully this will allow me to change resolution/settings in games, when it's released :)

Great news man... I've got a feeling once the driver is working, the tearing issue might become a much easier problem to solve. Especially since you know where the issue lies.

You're efforts are greatly appreciated.

Twinkikabuki: What is this slow quartz on nForce3 you speak of?

Omni, JaS -- great work!

Here's a question: Does this driver impact (improve) powermanagement, in terms of the screen actually going to sleep?

My Radeon mobility refuses to sleep (display stays active) regardless of the setting in power options.

Omni, JaS -- great work!

Here's a question: Does this driver impact (improve) powermanagement, in terms of the screen actually going to sleep?

My Radeon mobility refuses to sleep (display stays active) regardless of the setting in power options.

try this out for your problem,please test it and report back

http://s44.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1S4FZKO...0P0DVBYL2BE66K4 <-- test this is a port of radeonTool(http://fdd.com/software/radeon/)

nice! i cant wait for the final!!!

i think i know the answer but will QE/CI will work with radeon 7500 to radeon 9250 or it will work only with card that was working before?

i thought that Core Image was only available for 9600 cards and up and 5200 series cards and up for nVIdia.

ry this out for your problem,please test it and report back

http://s44.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1S4FZKO...0P0DVBYL2BE66K4 <-- test this is a port of radeonTool(http://fdd.com/software/radeon/)

The RadeonTool is loading properly... and it kind of working for me, only the cursor disappear when going in standby.

Here's my system log:

Apr 11 16:56:13 localhost kernel[0]: radeonTool:Initializing

Apr 11 16:56:13 localhost kernel[0]: radeonTool:Probing

Apr 11 16:56:13 localhost kernel[0]: radeonTool iomemory length: 0x10000 @ 0xf3000000

Apr 11 16:56:13 localhost kernel[0]: radeonTool virt: 0x2a573000 physical: 0xf3000000

Apr 11 16:56:13 localhost kernel[0]: radeonTool IRQ: 16, Vendor ID: 1002, Product ID: 4b4b

Apr 11 16:56:13 localhost kernel[0]: radeonTool:Starting

Apr 11 16:56:13 localhost kernel[0]: radeonTool:PowerManagement setting power state:1

Apr 11 16:56:13 localhost kernel[0]: Reading RADEON_LVDS_GEN_CNTL

Apr 11 16:56:13 localhost kernel[0]: The radeon backlight looks off

Apr 11 16:56:13 localhost kernel[0]: writing RADEON_LVDS_GEN_CNTL (2d0) -> 0008ff41

Apr 11 16:56:13 localhost kernel[0]: Reading RADEON_DAC_CNTL

Apr 11 16:56:13 localhost kernel[0]: The radeon external DAC looks on

Apr 11 16:56:13 localhost kernel[0]: writing RADEON_DAC_CNTL (58) -> ff002102

edit: Had to add my card in info.plist

doesn't work JaS

try adding your device ids to the kext,also this is just to help with sleep not res and refresh... thats not ready for release yet.

Omni is the one working on the ATI driver so when he says its ready you will know.

I was just lucky to get to try it out,and I tried to link the GA kext to his framebuffer and not IONdrv luckily it worked :D

try adding your device ids to the kext,also this is just to help with sleep not res and refresh... thats not ready for release yet.

Omni is the one working on the ATI driver so when he says its ready you will know.

I was just lucky to get to try it out,and I tried to link the GA kext to his framebuffer and not IONdrv luckily it worked ;)

do you think this might work for macvidia????

I was just lucky to get to try it out,and I tried to link the GA kext to his framebuffer and not IONdrv luckily it worked ;)

Jas:

It didn't work for me either. All what happens is that the cursor dissapear when the screen is supposed to sleep. I've opened the Info.plist in the RadeonTool package but I can't find a place where to put my device ID at. Would you mind to elaborate a bit more about this step?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Way to go Omni and JaS ;)

Finally I will get rid of the ugly stretched widescreen desktop (just in time cause my eyes are getting worse every day while using it like this)

Tiburon: no, there are currently no drivers available for download until Omni decides to release them...

Take care,

Tek_No

isnt a beta release the purpose of having bug and repair them? omni u make us tease !

OMNI i do have my idea to get rid of the tearing if u know how to make an invisible mouse cursor we can finish with it! pm me

isnt the RadeonTool only for notebook? i was wishing to make it work with my LCD but without success