Can you boot linux with chameleon bootloader?

34 posts in this topic

Sadly since Ubuntu 10.10 it is not possible to not install grub2. There is no option any longer for that. Installing grub2 to the root partition is not recommended either, as many types of file update can break grub2

Sure you can install Ubuntu 10.10 without a grub2 (at least an almighty one taking precedence over all others).

I have done it, was pretty simple. I just can't remember the exact procedure.

If you wait for a few days you will get a advice using 11.04. ;-)

Stay tuned.

Laszlo

P.S. while I was writing that, came the popup: 11.04 is available!!!

Yuhuuuu!

Laszlo

Sure you can install Ubuntu 10.10 without a grub2 (at least an almighty one taking precedence over all others).

If you wait for a few days you will get a advice using 11.04. ;-)

Stay tuned.

Laszlo

P.S. while I was writing that, came the popup: 11.04 is available!!!

Yuhuuuu!

Laszlo

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1674617

See post number 2, by drs305, January 24th, 2011.

You can install Ubuntu with grub2 to the root partition rather than to the MBR. Then

you can remove it and install legacy grub to root, whether or not it's recommended.

For Hackintosh users, that OS is primary for them, and grub2 does not offer the full

functionality of Chameleon + c.a.Boot.plist, nor does BURG, although it has themes.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1674617

See post number 2, by drs305, January 24th, 2011.

You can install Ubuntu with grub2 to the root partition rather than to the MBR. Then

you can remove it and install legacy grub to root, whether or not it's recommended.

For Hackintosh users, that OS is primary for them, and grub2 does not offer the full

functionality of Chameleon + c.a.Boot.plist, nor does BURG, although it has themes.

I am pretty sure to have installed Ubuntu without bootloader.

Chameleon found the partition and booted it like a charm.

Hi All,

I'm no Linux expert but a while back I tried installing Ubuntu 10.10 64bit on an external H/D. I gave up on

tri boot this way mainly after what turned out to be Nvidea driver issues (have ATI now so will try again after

I get another H/D). Anyway to your problem of installing Ubuntu without grub i managed to do this by

installing the Ubuntu 'server edition' (it's then an option). I tried without Grub & with Grub installed to the

partition, but did not manage to get Chameleon to either recognise or get out of a continuos boot loop. I'm

not sure if this was because I was trying install to an ext USB H/D, Nvidia driver issue or other.

EDIT: Some more info for inspiration,

See [sOLVED] Triple Boot: Ubuntu 9.10, Win 7, OSX by charlesh1609, this is certainly worth trying and as in my case using

separate H/D's should just involve selecting the correct drive for install/repair/s. As to Grub (when Ubuntu selected)

again offering all OS's on start up (Win & OSX don't work) Seon on HERE commented they'd solved

this by "essentially hid the grub menu by setting the timeout to 0 seconds". I'm not sure how this was done tho.

Also I did read elsewhere & am pretty sure I'd also done this before when playing around that by partitioning

Ubuntu partition with Gparted before Ubuntu 10.10 install you then can select (Advanced) at least where & possibly

from vague recollection even if Grub is to be installed..

Other priorities prevent me trying this for while, however if anyone is game feel free & report back.. :unsure:

I am pretty sure to have installed Ubuntu without bootloader.

Chameleon found the partition and booted it like a charm.

Hi would you care to elaborate a little on how you managed this..

Thanks in advance

Hi All,

I'm no Linux expert but a while back I tried installing Ubuntu 10.10 64bit on an external H/D. I Other priorities prevent me trying this for while, however if anyone is game feel free & report back.. :(

QUOTE (Laszlo Lebrun @ May 1 2011, 12:25 AM) *

"I am pretty sure to have installed Ubuntu without bootloader.

Chameleon found the partition and booted it like a charm."

iBdb wrote: "Hi would you care to elaborate a little on how you managed this..

Thanks in advance"

I have a sata computer with one ide port. I had an extra 160gb ide drive which I decided to

see if it would work. I put SL 10.6.3 and Pinguy 10.10 (very nice ubuntu derivative) and they

will dual boot, although SL needs the help of [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]. Pinguy went to the root partition / and

boots out of the Chameleon menu.

sata first drive has windows xp and 7 on it and uses Easybcd.

sata second drive has Cham->SL 10.6.7 on it and Fedora 14, also installed to the to root partition /

and it, F14, boots from the Easybcd menu. The Fedora 14 was tricky, so I decided to post about it.

http://www.thpc.info/dual/win7/dualboot_wi...cd_on_win7.html

This is a very well written howto. I think Fedora has the edge in the D programming language.

I wanted to install an OS to my 2tb usb drive. But didn't succeed with either Fedora or SL.

Read a claim that it could be done with VMWare. Note that I don't mean install SL somewhere

else from a usb stick.

EDIT: After I installed iousbfamily.kext rollback to 10.6.2, my usb drives were recognized. I cloned a

10.6.7 small SL install with Carbon Copy Cloner to a 16gb usb stick. It booted up with the help of

[url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] which was set to boot first in the order of drives. I selected the usb stick SL from Chameleon.

My SL on the IDE drive now boots up directly, without the help of [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url].

Just use the Windows bootloader and use EasyBCD to load up both Chameleon and Grub. Make sure to select GRUB2 under the Linuz entry if you're using Ubuntu and MBR under the Mac OS X entry. Solved everything for me :)

Just use the Windows bootloader and use EasyBCD to load up both Chameleon and Grub. Make sure to select GRUB2 under the Linuz entry if you're using Ubuntu and MBR under the Mac OS X entry. Solved everything for me :)

None of the bootloaders except Chameleon read com.apple.Boot.plist

which matters if you have an injection or something important in it.

Install Cham RC5 in SL. When SL boots up loaded from Easybcd, you

will still see Cham RC4 because its not using what you have installed or

your com.apple.Boot.plist which may be modified instead of generic.

Try changing the default Cham boot OS or Hide Partition for instance.

None of the bootloaders except Chameleon read com.apple.Boot.plist

which matters if you have an injection or something important in it.

Install Cham RC5 in SL. When SL boots up loaded from Easybcd, you

will still see Cham RC4 because its not using what you have installed or

your com.apple.Boot.plist which may be modified instead of generic.

Try changing the default Cham boot OS or Hide Partition for instance.

EasyBCD only makes the Windows bootloader chainload into the chameleon bootloader; it doesen't need com.apple.Boot.plist

EasyBCD only makes the Windows bootloader chainload into the chameleon bootloader; it doesen't need com.apple.Boot.plist

Nope. If you look at the Easybcd menu screen, it may well say nst_mac.mbr But if you

look in C:\NST, you find nst_mac.iso. If you unpack that mac iso file, you will find

Chameleon RC4, and a com.apple.Boot.plist. I already told you how to test this, upgrade

SL to Cham RC5. When you boot Easybcd you will still see RC4, it doesn't change. The

developer of Easybcd has admitted this is a problem, but states that the Voodoo Chameleon

team wouldn't help him implement a fix. So I will accept his assessment until you convince

him to retract his statement. I found out about this because I was unable to change my

default Cham Theme, and if you use Easybcd, I bet you can't either.