The Cider Wrapper Library

devilhunter

49 posts in this topic

UPDATE: Since its getting a hassle posting here and on the Game porting Team Blog, i suggest we move the Cider and CrossOver relevant Topics to the Game Porting Team Blog @ http://portingteam.com/ and its Forum.

We have recently added a few sections like an extra Game Blog and a News Blog, and a Emulator zone called "The Arcade".

Most of the Game Porters already moved there.

Well Guys and Girls, its that time of the month again. Yepp, time for one more of my ingenious Ideas :)

So i noticed a recent takeover of Ciderised Games in the Games Section, some people are making big progress and some very little.

Others decide not to share their work of successful Cider Port and this keeps the question level and new Topics for these problems created rather high. Rather then digging through all the Pages and wasting hours upon hours of time to port a Game that others have done some time ago, lets collect all the modified Cider wrappers and post them here.

Lets do this as followed:

You create a Cider game that works good/ok/is a work in progress and Upload ONLY the modified Cider Wrapper to your favorite File Upload Website, and post the link with a quick Info what works/what doesn't work and maybe some general info and requirements here.

I'll add them to the first post here with a little info and instructions/screenies to make things easier.

Remember, what we are posting here is not against the rules, only the links to the Cider Wrappers get posted here.

When you want to play one from the Games below, you'll have to get the full game yourself and install it via Crossover/VMware/Parallels or a real PC, and drop it into the Wrapper posted here.

some things to take note of:

- dont just post these Wrappers elsewhere, but ask the person who did them for permission.

- alert me please if a download link gets taken down (only from the first post)

- include some info about the status of your Games, like i have below. (important)

- PPC users, the Cider Wrapper works only on Intel machines. but you knew that, right?

GAME NAME

STATUS: Green (fully playable) /Orange (playable with a little effort) /Red (currently not playable, work in progress) <----- important

Download Link:

1. Game info

ported by:

tested Game-Version: US Release <--------important (some US/UK/other releases work, but other regions don't; see Assassin's Creed)

Role-Playing

Release: Nov 18, 2003

ESRB: Teen

Review: http://game review link

2. minimum System Requirements

- CPU: Intel Core Duo Processor

- RAM: 512 MB

- Video: ATI X1600, NVidia 7300 GT, or X3100 Intel integrated graphics chip

- This Game works with the GMA950 Grapics chip <--------------IMPORTANT (useful info for thousands of older MacBook & Mac mini owners)

3. Installing Game / using the Cider wrapper

- install the Game via Crossover/VMware/Parallels, no-cd crack it, then drag the contents of the game folder here:

- right click on the "GAME NAME.app" and select "Show Package Contents"

"GAME NAME.app/Contents/Resources/transgaming/c_drive/Program Files/GAME NAME/" <---------important (name & path of the installation folder)

4. additional installation Info / Performance Tweaks

5. Known Issues <-----------------important

To ultimate Goal of this - to take away the only thing that binds some of us to Windows: Games :P

To start things off, i have included some of my own ports that i made.

The Files are zipped (to prevent permission damages) and 7-zipped. (to prevent snooping around from the Upload sites. Get 7zX to unpack them)

note: ported by Info says zero, but thats the name i have somewhere else.

P.S.: someone form the Administrative Staff: Please sticky this. Pretty Please? :)

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

Download Link

kotor1.jpg

1. Game info

ported by: zero (me)

tested Game-Version: US Release

Role-Playing

Release: Nov 18, 2003

Review

Images

This game will run on systems with the Intel GMA 950 integrated graphics chip, but not as fluid as a System with a real graphics chip.

Meaning: it will lag a little, and a little more in big Combat scenes.

- install the Game via Crossover/VMware/Parallels, no-cd crack it, then drag the contents of the game folder here:

- right click on the "Knights of the Old Republic.app" and select "Show Package Contents"

"Knights of the Old Republic.app/Contents/Resources/transgaming/c_drive/Program Files/SWKotOR/"

-none from me

5. Known Issues

- the movies do NOT work, after setting the Game up, go to the Data Folder and rename the Movies/Videos Folder to something like this "!!!Movies", or simply throw them away if you don't want to keep them around (and they waste much disk space)

- if you quit the game normally you get an error massage with the title "Exception raised". ignore it, the exe doesn't shut down properly, so click "no"

you can always fast-quit the game (after you saved your game), pressing "Command+Alt+Escape"

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2

Download Link

kotor2.jpg

1. Game info

Role-Playing

Release: Feb 8, 2005

Review

Images

This game will run on systems with the Intel GMA 950 integrated graphics chip, but not as fluid as a System with a real graphics chip.

- right click on the "Knights of the Old Republic 2.app" and select "Show Package Contents"

"Knights of the Old Republic 2.app/Contents/Resources/transgaming/c_drive/Program Files/SWKotOR2/"

- none from me

5. Known Issues

- the movies do NOT work, after setting the Game up, go to the Data Folder and rename the Movies/Videos Folder to something like this "!!!Movies", or simply throw them away if you don't want to keep them around (and they waste much disk space)

- if you quit the game normally you get an error massage with the title "Exception raised". ignore it, the exe doesn't shut down properly, so click "no"

you can always fast-quit the game (after you saved your game), pressing "Command+Alt+Escape"

Jade Empire - Special Edition

Download Link

jadeempire.jpg

1. Game info

Action Role-Playing

Release: Feb 26, 2007

ESRB: Mature

Review

Images

This game will NOT run on systems with the Intel GMA 950 integrated graphics chip.

- right click on the "Jade Empire - Special Edition.app" and select "Show Package Contents"

"Jade Empire - Special Edition.app/Contents/Resources/transgaming/c_drive/Program Files/Jade Empire/"

- I'd be very much delighted if someone figures these minor graphic bugs out

5. Known Issues

- the Games has some graphical bugs; sometimes when you start the game, there is a little pink fog in the background that stays there

- the mouse cursor is a little bit incorrectly displayed

- some very minor graphical bugs sometimes

Neverwinter Nights: Diamond Edition

Download Link

nwn.jpg

1. Game info

Role-Playing

Release: Jun 16, 2002

Review

Images

- right click on the "Neverwinter Nights - Diamond Edition.app" and select "Show Package Contents"

"Neverwinter Nights - Diamond Edition.app/Contents/Resources/transgaming/c_drive/Program Files/NWN/"

- none from me

5. Known Issues

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Download Link

oblivion.jpg

1. Game info

Role-Playing

Release: Mar 20, 2006

ESRB: Mature

Review

Images

- Video: the higher, the better

Note to Intel GMA users: Don't even think about it!

- right click on the "The Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion.app" and select "Show Package Contents"

"The Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion.app/Contents/Resources/transgaming/c_drive/Program Files/Oblivion/"

- I managed to throw the save bug overboard with the new Cider Wrapper (the Game crashed previously when you loaded another savegame ingame)

- this Game is REALLY HEAVY on Graphics requirements, no use pleading for help for optimizing this here, just try to lower the settings if it lags for you

(and look at the links in the Known Issues point)

-you can add MODs

- i have added my Preferences Folder that uses some gamehacks and kills some of the Known Issues

start the game first without it, so it can create a preferences folder, then swap the config and ini files form my folder to yours (but this may not work for you)

it goes here "your username/Library/Preferences"

5. Known Issues

- the following settings MUST be turned OFF to avoid getting scrambled graphics:

Distand Land

HDR Lighting

Bloom Lighting

- HDR and Bloom do not work in this release. it is possible getting them to work, but it's a hell lot of complicated and it works only for some people

- the Game lags a bit when you kill an enemy (a known sound issue)

- if you run into an object on the ground it sometimes makes a loud noise (a known sound issue)

- minor issues with Sound

Optimizing the Game can be difficult but there are people who came to some solutions, lookie here and here .

Assassin's Creed Republic

Download Link

assassinscreed.jpg

1. Game info

ported by: locoputo

tested Game-Version: US Release(?)

Historic Action Adventure

Release: Apr 8, 2008

ESRB: mature

Review

Images

- RAM: 1024 MB

- Video: ???

- right click on the "Knights of the Old Republic.app" and select "Show Package Contents"

"Assassin's Creed.app/Contents/Resources/transgaming/c_drive/Ubisoft"

- Graphical Glitches seem to minimal on newer Macbooks?

- MAJOR GRAPHICAL GLITCHES on all Macs and hackintoshes i tested

- some People can get it to work, but most don't. see if you're lucky :)

- Assassin's Creed thread by locoputo: here .

5. Known Issues

- Major Graphical Glitches

- Major Sound Glitches

Star Wolves

Download Link

StarWolvesbanner.jpg

1. Game info

tested Game-Version: US Release, German Release

Computer Role-Playing

Release: Mar 04, 2005 (EU)

Review

Images

- right click on the "Star Wolves.app" and select "Show Package Contents"

"Star Wolves.app/Contents/Resources/transgaming/c_drive/Program Files/Star Wolves/"

- i tested this game for about an hour, worked perfect so far

5. Known Issues

- none from me

Star Wolves 2

Download Link

StarWolves2banner.jpg

1. Game info

tested Game-Version: US Release, German Release

Computer Role-Playing

Release: Aug 31, 2006 (EU)

Review

Images

- right click on the "Star Wolves2.app" and select "Show Package Contents"

"Star Wolves 2.app/Contents/Resources/transgaming/c_drive/Program Files/Star Wolves 2/"

- i tested this game for about an hour, worked perfect so far

- no, aside from the front cover there are no half-naked chicks in this game; and yes, its cold in Space...

5. Known Issues

- none from me

• 2 weeks later...

Well lets see maybe cause we aint all got enough time and there is too many people shouting they want and only a few of use daring enough to try and make things work with it and then again maybe some people didnt like the idea that all they are doing is making cider and they just gotta give that time they put into it away......devilhunter if all those ciderized stuff is your work my hats off to ya......but myself not enough time to post

but ill have DMC3 on here soon enough

I updated my Post with my new The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion Port

Great Game, very addictive and InsanelyModdable.

As for People not uploading here, i can think of three reasons:

-instructions for writing in the fields i specified above are too difficult to understand

-the "Upload" button on Megaupload/Mediafire is very hard to click :wacko:

or

-People don't like my idea

But the download counter on my Mediafire Account says otherwise, people have already leeched a few gigs. (from 4x 30MB files)

come on Guys, upload something

well i tried swkotor 2 wrapper, it works ok but without frame buffer effects and soft shadows. anyone knows how to enable them?(i mean with tweaks, the options are greyed out atm)

I couldn't even get these options to work on my real PC...

...but myself not enough time to post

but ill have DMC3 on here soon enough

clicking the upload button on file sites isn't that hard

most of the don't require an account, like

MediaFire, MegaUpload, Rapidshare...

but i'll look forward to your Devil May Cry 3 port, (my favorite Game on the PS2)

i tried it some time ago, but gave up after seeing the severe lags and Graphic bugs...

I love the format and the idea is fantastic. I'd contribute except that I don't really experiment with Cider too much anymore. I got a few PC games that could work with it, but I don't have the patience nor the knowledge to build a functional Cider wrapper for each.

The only thing I can do to contribute to this (as of this writing) is to add info on the Oblivion cider. Distant Lands and Bloom DOES work and I never really saw any issues or had any difficulties making them work (might be an nVidia thing). As for the VERY SUDDEN LOUD NOISE with ground collision, there is a work-around: If you go to your Oblivion.ini file under [Audio], there should be a line called iMaxImpactSoundCount=. Put the value to Zero and it mutes all the impact sounds.

Also, shadows don't work at all.

I think Oblivion is the only one of the list (so far) that is PC exclusive. I'm pretty sure the rest have a Mac port (I know NWN and one of the KotoRs are).

About other games, I have Dark Messiah and Dungeon Siege 2 that do work with Parallels and Crossover, so I'm thinking those shouldn't have any trouble running under Cider (without multiplayer). Considering the game's officially over and there won't be able patches anytime soon, I figured I could also give Hellgate London (the SP version) a try... got it to run in Parallels but I don't have the patience to get it running under Cider. Any info to help my research would help... The only game I managed to get working under Cider is Oblivion... so I don't know the steps involved to get a wrapper working.

Once I get something running, I'll upload. Don't hold your breath.

1. Good idea but really we need some special site for this subject - maybe CiderHQ similar to WineHQ ('There are 11512 applications currently in the database'!) - a place to collect reports and a forum.

2. Personally I prefer to test and discuss complete versions to compare results than wrappers:

- there are usually many versions of the same games on the Net and the results maybe very different for them so reported bugs maybe not present in your version and performance tests may vary also

- you can't be sure that everything will work in Cider just as on real PC so it may need editing game data/code also (scripts, fonts, movies, etc.). You can see that many current Ciderized games have annoying bugs that can't be resolved by Cider updates only - sometimes you should convert audio/video data, replace fonts, replace or edit 3D models, edit scripts to exclude buggy areas, edit or delete buggy maps, ... to make a game more playable and reliable - if it worth so certainly.

I updated my Post with my new The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion Port

Great Game, very addictive and InsanelyModdable.

As for People not uploading here, i can think of three reasons:

-instructions for writing in the fields i specified above are too difficult to understand

-the "Upload" button on Megaupload/Mediafire is very hard to click ;)

or

-People don't like my idea

But the download counter on my Mediafire Account says otherwise, people have already leeched a few gigs. (from 4x 30MB files)

come on Guys, upload something

I couldn't even get these options to work on my real PC...

clicking the upload button on file sites isn't that hard

most of the don't require an account, like

MediaFire, MegaUpload, Rapidshare...

but i'll look forward to your Devil May Cry 3 port, (my favorite Game on the PS2)

i tried it some time ago, but gave up after seeing the severe lags and Graphic bugs...

What upload site and DMC3 works almost full FPS .... but you graphics card has to be pretty fast

Well I've tried the KotOR cider and unfortunatelly it does the same thing as my previous attempts at making the game work - on my iMac the upper left quarter of the screen is stretched over the entire display (like I used the OS X built-in zoom, except I didn't do that). This makes the game totally unplayable.

I just tried KotOR 1 & 2 on my Fathers old Intel iMac (white, 7300GT) and my friend's new iMac (black glass, HD2600Pro) and on my mini (GMA950).

It works. Perhaps you need to delete the movies or change the resolution in KotOR's ini.

I tested the US and the German release, i haven't tried others.

But i have seen this Bug with Dungeon Siege 2, and i haven't found a way around it, yet.

Or maybe Cider doesn't treat every Graphics Card equally, like the nVidia faults with Oblivion that Gix mentioned.

Well I've tried the KotOR cider and unfortunatelly it does the same thing as my previous attempts at making the game work - on my iMac the upper left quarter of the screen is stretched over the entire display (like I used the OS X built-in zoom, except I didn't do that). This makes the game totally unplayable.

I'm also getting this, checking the Res on my monitor shows 640x480 - no matter what res I choose in the options menu; seems the game itself IS internally rendering at its desired resolution but something in cider maybe is causing the output res to only be 640x480 (and therefore only showing that amount of the screen, as the rest is out of the display)

This is with a 10.5.5 hack, C2D, RadeonX1900XT

Refer to my thread on assassin's creed thread here for the wrapper. The latest post has a megaupload link to my latest work on it.

Permission to add it to the list above?

Some info about whats working/what not etc. would be great.

@ locoputo thanks for that, I saw it and will check out the wrapper

@ SHADO5 - my request in this thread isn't for the games, as I already have them, it is for the cider wrappers only. I think devilhunter has highlighted the fact that very few posts of ciderized games will have the wrapper posted separately, its always wrapped up in a huge torrent or a 30+ rapidshare archive. No one who owns and plays the game on their bootcamp partition wants to download 5gigs when a simple wrapper post of 30megs will let them see if they can run the game in osx.

Please PM me if you see a torrent where the wrapper is downloadable separately. I hope devilhunters thread here convinces some posters that this should be the norm!

So to clarify, am requesting the cider wrapper for GTA:SA, also Mafia: City of Los Paradise wrapper would be great too. cheers :(

O aight man. Sorry about that, I guess I misread your post. I have not come across any torrents like that I'm sorry to say, but I do know of ones that just have the Oblivion, Spore, and COH versions of Cider, idk if that's helpful tho since you seem to want them to work right away with a specified game.

thanks for your reply SHADO5 -

I agree with the point you make - its a lot of fiddling and troubleshooting to get cider to work with any game, I understand that, and props should always go to the people who do it.

But making the Cider wrappers available separately I think would encourage more mac gaming and discussion. Probably most mac people who don't frequent fora like this one also don't understand what Cider does and may assume (like I did) that the Windows Game folder/exe's that is ciderized is significantly changed when ported, rather than just dropped with the appropriate tweaks into the Cider wrapper.

Maybe taking devilhunters suggestion of posting wrappers separately would be good for mac gamers and porters both - gamers could download a small file to try their windows game easily; The porters could save massive upload bandwidth by allowing gamers to acquire the games via any of the many Windows routes, and save themselves being blasted by people who've downloaded 6 gigs and don't understand why the game won't launch.

btw I used to have the side-view poster of your avatar in my room!

updated the post with locoputo's Assassin's Creed Wrapper.

mind the "Work in progress" part!

I have created several ports as well today, i'll upload them over the weekend. (i'll need to bug test 'em)

'njoy

P.S.: i have seriously thought about creating a website/blog for these, but that draws too much attention; and insanelymac is a great place for this. :D

updated the first post with Star Wolves & Star Wolves 2.

Good Games, but the vocal dubs on these Games suck hard in my opinion...

If you're a Space-RPG fan like me, this is only a minor annoyance.

From what i have tested, the work perfectly.

the next Game will be something totally different, and i'm not sure if i'm allowed to post it here.

But what the hell, i'll post it anyway. (hint: it's an A***e E***e)

• 4 weeks later...