1 reply to this topic

sunkid

sunkid

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
Hi all!

I recently added a wireless 802.11n router with gigabit LAN ports to my home network. Since I was not able to make the thing (TRENDnet TEW-633GR) work as a bridge, I installed it as a router on its own little subnet (192.168.0). My desktop (Hackintosh) sits on the 10.0.0 subnet (routed by a linux box with internet access) and I added my Airport Express to the network created by the TEW (192.168.10). My old G4 PowerBook did not seem to like the b/g/n mixed mode of the TEW, so I am using the AX for it and switched the TEW to n-only, which works well for the new MacBook Pro. Sooo... to make a long story short, everything works with the exception of Airtunes from my Desktop. I can see the AX and the Airtunes speakers, but nothing else (no configuration access and iTunes gives up switching to the Airtunes speakers after a minute or so of trying).

Here is an attempt at an ASCII drawing:

(Internet)---|Linux Box|- 1 --- 10.0.0 --- 200 -|Desktop|
						  `- 1 --- 192.168.0 --- 2 -|TEW|- 1 --- 192.168.10 --- 200 -|AX|- 1 --- 10.0.1 --- 2 -|G4|

Further details:
  • The Linux box was told to route 192.168.10 via the TEW's 192.168.0.2 IP.
  • Routing for the 10.0.0 and 192.168.0 networks worked out of the box after configuring the two virtual interfaces.
  • All hosts on all networks can access the internet.
  • The AX was put into the TEW's DMZ.
  • Pings from the Desktop to the AX are seen on the linux box and are logged as going in and out of the correct devices.
  • The TEW's log does not show any blocked traffic to the AX
  • Due to wiring limitations, it's near impossible to have the Desktop and the AX on the same subnet
Any pointers greatly appreciated!

inimicus

inimicus

Drunk and Angry Slurs in 31 Flavors

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts
Simplify!

Internet > TEW

TEW > Linux Box (DMZ, as I assume you are wanting services exposed to the internet)

Linux Box > Desktop (Connected through the Linux box as I assume you are routing services through it)

(ALT) TEW > Desktop (Might be worth trying for testing routing through the Linux box to the Airtunes)

TEW > AX (For G4)

/me shrugs.

Diagrams are weak online. We're all hands-on type.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy