Installing iPC 10.5.6 and what is EFI (v9)? (I'm a newbie..)

tomchook

3 posts in this topic

Hey everyone,

I was hoping some of you could clarify some things for me.. I have 2 laptops. MSI Wind and HP Pavillion dv9000 series. I managed to install OSx86 on the MSI Wind with the ISO I found which was specifically made for the Wind, so I installed it and it works perfectly.

I would like to install the iPC 10.5.6 release ( http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=142502 ) on my HP laptop, but before I have some questions..

First of all, here are the specifications of my HP: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...product=3668106

So when I install iPC:

* Which kernel should I choose? (9.5.0 Voodoo kernel seems the latest, but will it be good for me?)

* My graphic card is NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS (250MB dedicated). Which driver should I choose? NVinject 0.2.1 256MB, NVdarwin 256MB or NVkush? I heard that specifically with my card there are some issues so which one would be the best for me?

* Which Chipset drivers should I choose? I can see that I have North Bridge: Intel Crestline-PM PM965 and South Bridge: Intel 82801HBM IC8-DO

* About the Sound drivers, I know that I have ALC268, but what is ALC268 comatron? How do I know which one to choose?

* My ethernet driver is Realtek RTL8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Adapter (PHY: Realtek RTL8211/8212). I can't see it on iPC's list. What should I choose/do?

* About the wireless drivers, I have Intel 3945, but how come it appears in this list if the drivers are not developed yet? http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=84072 (notice the latest posts) So what should I choose here? Just leave this section blank?

* What should I choose for USB drivers and Power managment?

* In the "Fixes and Patches" should I just mark everything? I guess I want everything to be fixed and patched...

* Why would I want an alternative bootloader? Which would should suit me better?

* Any recommendation for which applications I should choose to install?

I know I asked a lot, but I really hope you could help me with this process

Oh and one last thing.. What is exactly EFI and why do I need it? It says that iPC's latest release has EFI v9. Is that good?

Many thanks in advance!

Tom K.

Curious I've been looking for the working iPc 10.5.6 release... where did you find yours if you don't mind helping me out at least with that much.

As far as your HP is concerned I would ghost your system if your worried bout loosing anything you might have at the moment so you can dump it back if you need to and start over again.

Always install all the patches (it doesn't hurt)

Go ahead and install the Voodoo kernel

intel 3945 for your wireless

and then which ever video card driver ya want.. after your done see how it all goes.. if something is not right

Do it over again and select the other video driver and go thru the process again.. Im sure it will work for ya

Have fun.. and dont forget to let me know where you got your version of 10.5.6

I got mine from alt.binaries.boneless .. some xxx.10.5.6 leo r1 and after downloading it all.. it has it as al separate files instead of an bootable DVD image like the kallaways were. so any hints on where to look would be awesome.

Thanks.

rugbybear AT gmail

Curious I've been looking for the working iPc 10.5.6 release... where did you find yours if you don't mind helping me out at least with that much.

As far as your HP is concerned I would ghost your system if your worried bout loosing anything you might have at the moment so you can dump it back if you need to and start over again.

Always install all the patches (it doesn't hurt)

Go ahead and install the Voodoo kernel

intel 3945 for your wireless

and then which ever video card driver ya want.. after your done see how it all goes.. if something is not right

Do it over again and select the other video driver and go thru the process again.. Im sure it will work for ya

Have fun.. and dont forget to let me know where you got your version of 10.5.6

I got mine from alt.binaries.boneless .. some xxx.10.5.6 leo r1 and after downloading it all.. it has it as al separate files instead of an bootable DVD image like the kallaways were. so any hints on where to look would be awesome.

Thanks.

rugbybear AT gmail

The separate files wouldn't have the extension .rar would they?