Using a PC keyboard?

CFran

31 posts in this topic

I've been quite curious to know how other people deal with using a PC keyboard in Mac OS X.

Personally, I used Ukulele to create my custom keyboard layout, there's only a few problems with it :

-Can't modify the modifier keys (mainly swap Start and Alt so they're in the correct place)

-Mac OS X won't remember the selection of my keylayout and everytime I reboot will choose the default layout (if someone knows how to deal with that I'd like to know)

-I messed with a few dead keys, now they ain't dead no more...

So, how do you guys dealt with those issues? Mainly swapping the Start and Alt keys?

Also, is there anywhere you can find something to use a PC keyboard properly on a Mac? It must have been since the replacement of ADB keyboards by USB keyboards in 97-98 that Mac users may have used PC keyboards, there must be an easy solution for that by now?

Hey,

System Preferences -> Keyboard & Mouse -> Keyboard

:)

Yeah, the only problem with that is that everytime I reboot, it's being reset, as well as the choice of the keyboard layout. I have no idea why!

Yeah, the only problem with that is that everytime I reboot, it's being reset, as well as the choice of the keyboard layout. I have no idea why!

The solution I've used for my Microsoft Desktop Elite Wirelesss keyboard/mouse on my PPC PowerMac G5, w/OS X 10.4.6 was simple:

Install the Mac driver provided with your keyboard/mouse. And make sure you use the Microsoft preference panes in System Preferences to set keyboard preferences.

I also advise anyone to use the Microsoft Desktop for Mac v.6.0 software, rather than an earlier version of the software.

Now, I know this works for any Microsoft keyboard, but I don't know if installing the Mac driver from your Logitec, etc. keyboard install CD will work, since I have not tried.

NOTE: If you do have a Desktop Elite keyboard/mouse, make sure you use only the USB connector on the base-station (specifically, only the BLACK USB connector). The green PS/2 connector does not need to be connected at all. I found that using an adaptor to plug both base station connectors causes the keyboard to not function at all, while the mouse will continue to work if either (or both) connector(s) on the basestation is connected to your Mac. It is totally unrecognized if you plug the green USB connector from the base station into a PS/ to USB adaptor, then into the Apple display or another USB connector on the back or front of the Mac.

If your mouse is NOT a wireless mouse, then simply plug the base station into the Mac, and connect your wired mouse into a separate USB connector somewhere on your Mac or Apple display.

I don't know if these drivers will work on an Intel Mac, since I do not have an Intel Mac.

Donald McDaniel

The solution ... was simple:

Install the Mac driver provided with your keyboard/mouse

hehe, yeah, if only it could be that simple. there's no mac driver for my logitech keyboard/mouse, i checked

okay guys marvellous i found the HUGE TRICK!!

1) move all ur original keyboard's layout (roman etc) from System/Library/Layout to ur home/users/layout directory

2) copy ur own keyboard.layout in my case : sony.vaio.layout to both directory ie System/Library/Layout + home/users/layout

3) then change as u wish the CTRL / ALT touch into the control panels

4) reboot changes are still saved :)

enjoy

okay guys marvellous i found the HUGE TRICK!!

1) move all ur original keyboard's layout (roman etc) from System/Library/Layout to ur home/users/layout directory

2) copy ur own keyboard.layout in my case : sony.vaio.layout to both directory ie System/Library/Layout + home/users/layout

3) then change as u wish the CTRL / ALT touch into the control panels

4) reboot changes are still saved :hysterical:

enjoy

sounds cool, but where you got your own file from?

• 1 month later...

well it was open box, meaning used. and i dont want to return it because it was the last open box. i dont want to pay like $56 for a keyboard when i have a fine one at home. i got this as a treat and cuz it was cheaper.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I read all the posts above but sincerely I have not understand the right way to go. So I've a Toshiba M70-160 with an Italian standard keyboard layout. How should I do to enable the main special chars? E.g. the @ doesn't work at moment...

Thanks

I was able to swap using SYSTEM PREFERENCES without any problem. But after I changed my mouse to a USB Microsoft 2 button scroll mouse, my keyboard won't work.

Anyone with a suggestion or solution will be highly appreciated. Lotta Thanks in advance.

i set the command/alt/option/control as it should be on apple keyboard but i made a custom layout for french PC keyboard to get all caracters on the good keys :thumbsdown_anim:

the layout i made was using ukelele which is pretty simple ^^

it allow easy and fast custon of keyboard, you can even add key combination to enter some usefull stuff, especially for programming (adding useful function etc :police:)