S20/S20II laptops (Hasee, Advent, Haier...)

coconup

125 posts in this topic

there was an error in the installation script, now it should be correct :). the installer now checks if your first partition is an EFI partition before making changes, just to avoid people erasing their windows partition with this script.. now it should be foolproof

Silent mod is working now with the hasee bios. Thank you very much for your help.

Tonight im gonna try the thermal paste on the gpu and see if it helps.

Did changing the thermal paste help ? I didn't have time before, but on my side I finally made the test with 4 gigs of ram in the latest beta of windows 7 64bit (really impressed by it by the way, starts up as fast as osX, and all of the hardware is recognized on first boot without having to install any drivers...) and that was a no go, with the pc2-4200 set of memories, the computer just restarts without loading windows, and with the pc2-5300 set I get a blue screen of death on startup. Both of these memories work absolutely perfectly in Windows 7 and Mac os if I only put them in one slot (2gb).

I am now absolutely certain it has nothing to do with mac os and is a hardware issue, that everybody doesn't have on laptops based on the S20II (and I guess it's the same for the way I had to install x3100 framebuffer kext). Or it would mean I was very unlucky with the three types of memory I tried...

Did changing the thermal paste help ? I didn't have time before, but on my side I finally made the test with 4 gigs of ram in the latest beta of windows 7 64bit (really impressed by it by the way, starts up as fast as osX, and all of the hardware is recognized on first boot without having to install any drivers...) and that was a no go, with the pc2-4200 set of memories, the computer just restarts without loading windows, and with the pc2-5300 set I get a blue screen of death on startup. Both of these memories work absolutely perfectly in Windows 7 and Mac os if I only put them in one slot (2gb).

I am now absolutely certain it has nothing to do with mac os and is a hardware issue, that everybody doesn't have on laptops based on the S20II (and I guess it's the same for the way I had to install x3100 framebuffer kext). Or it would mean I was very unlucky with the three types of memory I tried...

Yes i have tried now with thermal paste on the gpu, but it dident help. Still the same issue with 4 gigs of ram. Its weird cause my processor and gpu is not that hot when osx hangs?

I dont have to do anything with the x3100 framebuffer kext. Its working out of the box, but i have tried with all kind of hacks and different natit kexts, cause i think the issue with ram is somehow gpu related.

Have you tried with 3 gigs of ram? Its working for me but i have to put the 1 gig ram in the ram socket closest to the gpu, underneith the 2 gig module otherwise the system sometimes crashes.

I have an older hasee laptop with radeon x200 graphic chip and 4 gigs of ram is working in that one. but i cant use 3d acceleration cause x200 is not supported by leopard. Maby if we try 4 gigs of ram without 3d acceleration than we now if its gpu or cpu related??

I'm not quite sure but I think that graphics and motherboard chipset are linked anyways as the x3100 is integrated. I didn't try with 3 gigs of ram as I didn't have them and I didn't want to spend more money on not working ram (my system came with two 512 mb rams, so I did try 2,5GB, which didn't work, mac OS X wasn't even able to start with that config)

Now that I have Windows installed as well I am going to try memories directly in shops to see if I find some compatible, without having to buy them...

OK so as planned I went to a shop and tried many memory configurations. Couldn't try exchanging the memory slots though because I could see the salesman becoming rightfully impatient. Unfortunately nothing above 2 gigas worked, even not 3 gigs (I tried four different brands, always two memories of the same brand and speed, PC2-4200, 5300, and 6400. Of course I tested with Windows 7, not Os X, but windows being more sensible to memory issues it's just a quicker way to see there is a hardware issue, it doesn't even load up, just restart on boot.) The salesman was telling me it was a mainboard issue, but that's strange, as I guess all of the computers based on the S20II have the same mainboard. But maybe some of them, like mine, have some badder quality chips in them... It's a fact that Uniwill's website doesn't say S20II to be compatible with more than two gigs...

I'm still wondering if it isn't linked to cpu fsb, the more recent ones generally being 800mhz. My Celeron 550 had a 533mhz fsb, My Core 2 Duo Centrino t5550 a 667mhz fsb. But as 4gigs is reported to work on Centrino t5750, which has a 667mhz fsb, it must be a bad guess.

One thing I have changed in my computer was the hardrive, for one whith a big memory cache and 7200 speed, but I would be really surprised if this kind of hardware caused such issues...

So I give up, it works very well with 2gb and it was a cheap computer after all... Very good price / quality ratio anyways...

OK so as planned I went to a shop and tried many memory configurations. Couldn't try exchanging the memory slots though because I could see the salesman becoming rightfully impatient. Unfortunately nothing above 2 gigas worked, even not 3 gigs (I tried four different brands, always two memories of the same brand and speed, PC2-4200, 5300, and 6400. Of course I tested with Windows 7, not Os X, but windows being more sensible to memory issues it's just a quicker way to see there is a hardware issue, it doesn't even load up, just restart on boot.) The salesman was telling me it was a mainboard issue, but that's strange, as I guess all of the computers based on the S20II have the same mainboard. But maybe some of them, like mine, have some badder quality chips in them... It's a fact that Uniwill's website doesn't say S20II to be compatible with more than two gigs...

I'm still wondering if it isn't linked to cpu fsb, the more recent ones generally being 800mhz. My Celeron 550 had a 533mhz fsb, My Core 2 Duo Centrino t5550 a 667mhz fsb. But as 4gigs is reported to work on Centrino t5750, which has a 667mhz fsb, it must be a bad guess.

One thing I have changed in my computer was the hardrive, for one whith a big memory cache and 7200 speed, but I would be really surprised if this kind of hardware caused such issues...

So I give up, it works very well with 2gb and it was a cheap computer after all... Very good price / quality ratio anyways...

Yes it is a good computer! My cpu is 800 mhz fsb Centrino core2duo. I got a solid state harddrive in mine. I got ddr2 5300

My Laptop is also very fast, mac osx boots up in just 10 seconds and its very stable apart from the 4 gig support. My processor is a T7700

Have you tried to put your 512 mb in a different slot?

Yes, I could do that as I own it, unfortunately it didn't work me... It's only with the 1gb memory I couldn't swap the slots. Well if you have a 800 mhz fsb, I guess there really is a difference in some chips quality in the mainboard of some of those laptops... Or maybe it has to do with the hardrive as, like me, you don't use the original one (but I'm not going to try with another hardrive, it's useless, 7200rpm is very fast compared to the standard 5200, and I guess it's even better with solid state drives.)

Yes, I could do that as I own it, unfortunately it didn't work me... It's only with the 1gb memory I couldn't swap the slots. Well if you have a 800 mhz fsb, I guess there really is a difference in some chips quality in the mainboard of some of those laptops... Or maybe it has to do with the hardrive as, like me, you don't use the original one (but I'm not going to try with another hardrive, it's useless, 7200rpm is very fast compared to the standard 5200, and I guess it's even better with solid state drives.)

I hade the same processor as you, but i bougt another on ebay and thats why i have 800 mhz fsb now.

fan issue hopefully solved guys :rolleyes:

look here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...60#entry1144200

this is really not easy and my motherboard had the cst addresses completely messed up.. it took me two hours to find them in the linux acpi tables. also, they are specific for each processor so I guess you can't simply copy and paste my values. the fan now spins every one or two minutes and it stays calm inbetween.. tomorrow I'll check if the battery lasts significantly more.

also, I must figure out how to get throttling with vanilla applecpupm (voodoopower won't be needed anymore ;) )

Hi, dude. Finally I`ve solved the audio completely. But I only can set the layoutid to 12 to load the applehda.kext. I think it can be done by patch the DSDT.aml. So I wanna ask u a few questions. How to compile the dsdt.dsl to dsdt.aml. I cannot get it done with the DSDT PATCHER even with -f. It compiled a dsdt.aml which the size is 0kb. It`s strange. And how did u mod the dsdt, man? Using the TEXT EDITOR? Pls reply a.s.a.p.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello.

I am reading here since months, started with Kaly and iDeneb, without success. This thread here had been my first allmost successfull installation. But a few things are still missing, perhaps because of my poor englisch.

I have got a Hasee W230N, I bootet with the bootcd, installed a retail 10.5.6 without problems. Reboot......but the install.sh script only showed an error in LIne 179......which does not exist in the script, it ends with 178.

Don't mind, I installes Chameleon on my own, successfully, added some kexts: HDA, dsmos, VoodooBattery, VoodooPower and VoodooPS2 - everything right so far.

I wanted my AL883 to get work......but the AL883, HDA and HDAEnabler does not work. I read the thread about dsdt but I am sorry, I am not able to get this in my mind.

The questions in short:

How can I get AL883 work - if I boot from bootcd instead from my chameleon from hdd it works ;)

The second problem is the missing battery meter. Is there a way to get it back? In Kaly 10.5.2 I got it work.

And sleep is not working: The first time the image has been written, but it wake up after one second. The second time I tested it it stayed black - only chance was turning of.

Thanx a lot and congratulations for this great thread.

Yours Simon

Hello again ^_^

Finally I am two steps ahead: I found several errors in the install.sh script which I could fix (with my littke script knowledge). But there are still some error messages while copying the files. I will have an addiotional look.

But I got my Leade/Hasee W230N working realy well, instead of sleep and the known X3100 blackscreen.

Has anybody a correcte install.sh script?

Thanx a lot, especially to coconup for investing time for this laptops.

Simon

Sorry, me again :)

A big, big thanx to coconup: My Leader W230N now fully works. Inlcuding sleep. PCMCIA (I am using a UMTS card), grafix. PERFECT !!!!!

For a 210 € notebook (NEW, not used) the sound of the fan is OK. I got a little improvement by installing coolbook. It works better than "The cup of coffee" :(

Thanx to all posters.

Yours Simon

Strange: After testing again it works.........should I have made a misstake with vi? Update.sh also works perfectly.

Only the grafix is still a little problem: I have to boot 3-4 times until I can login. Bevor I only get the black screen with artefakts which are getting white.

Putting natit.kext and AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext in my extensions folder and genereting a new Extensions.mkext (las described by cairb21) does not work at all. Perhaps I will have to replace the ones in my filesystem. I will try today.

• 1 month later...

Hello, just wanted to add a successful installation of iPC OSX86 10.5.6 and updated to 10.5.7 via ASU. I have installed using vanilla and all went fine. I have replaced the WLAN card with a BCM4311 and installed it via 10.5.6 install option and after update to 10.5.7 it just works fine.

Likewise the driver option from 10.5.6 for ALC833 were ok, i have sounds, external and internal, mic and all.

I have never tested the card reader slot if it is ok, but usb mounting all went fine.

Video is very good at 1280x800 with QE/CI, i have been playing dvd's and all, and it went fine with no stutterign or slowing down or whatever.

Wow, this cheapo lappy works with osx!

sleep, shutdown and restart is ok. System profiler is reporting correctly, the Fn keys work fine, volume, brightness, mute, but not the switch to external monitor.

This post was made using w230n hack book.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

so I just upgraded to snow leopard with no serious problems.. I said upgraded so I still have all my stuff and programs installed, I did it like they do on macs by double clicking on the os x install icon in leopard :(

but there's one annoying issue: the graphics only work at full res and with qe/ci in 32bit mode since apple didn't include the x3100 drivers in the 64bit kernel, while both ethernet and wifi (dell 1490 for me) only work in 64bit mode.. when I boot 32bit the airport actually connects to the net and gets its correct IP but then firefox and everything else say 'connection failed'... any idea?

btw sound just works perfectly with my old legacy kexts

if you want to upgrade just make a boot cd with the kexts u need (for me: voodoops2 64bit and fakesmcv2 sl), plug your snow leopard dvd into your drive while under leopard, start the installation and then, when it restarts, boot in your usual partition with the boot cd (do not boot the dvd, boot your hdd partition) and go ahead.

well apparently wifi and lan resuscitate after waking up from a 1 minute sleep or so.. still have to find a better fix. btw stepping/graphics/sound/sleep/shutdown work, restart doesn't (yet)

here's everything you need to upgrade to sl:

edit: there's something wrong with the boot cd I'll fix it later

steps:

1) boot into your leopard installation and plug your SL dvd in

2) double click the install OS X icon, go on

3) at some point your laptop will restart, plug the boot cd in and boot YOUR INSTALL PARTITION FROM IT

4) setup will go on and finish

5) boot your partition from the cd once again and use the install script in the after install folder

this must be done only if you have a retail leopard install booting from an efi partition on your disk0 device, otherwise you'll have to modify your install script or you'll risk to lose all your data