IMPORTANT Question RE: FAT32/NTFS

4 posts in this topic

Hi all, I had a quick query that has been puzzling me. I have had bootcamp running perfectly for a year now, it still is. VMWare is also installed on my system and accesses windows perfectly.

The partition of windows is NTFS and so I cannot WRITE or MOVE any files from my MAC partition to the NTFS partition.

HOWEVER...

I was using VMWARE, and it allowed me to drag folders from the mac desktop over to the windows desktop via virtualisation, how is this possible? It is allowing me to write to the other partition? Does VMWare use a special driver to allow read/writing to NTFS from the Mac format HFS+? How is this possible?

Thanks very much for any help

Regards

James ;)

VMWare isn't doing the NTFS writing itself, it's only using Windows' native ability to do so.

When you drag a file from Mac OS X to the Windows VM, Windows behaves as if it's simply copying from a normal origin to its own disk. It's similar to copying files over a network from a Mac to a Windows PC, where neither needs to understand the other's file system.

If you need Mac OS X to write to NTFS, do as kytzu suggested and install MacFUSE and subsequently NTFS-3G.

Hope this helps.