Protools on Mac OSX86

ziki

12 posts in this topic

Not yet, but why not start one? From my understanding though, PPC apps still do not run though. Also, I can't remeber if the mbox hooks up through a USB interface or not, but if OSX is recognizing it, then Protools should work. That's one of the programs I'd definetly like to use on my system.

Meh, Toast Titanium appears to be working, also I have tried Stuffit Expander, which works great (except the estimated time when extracting is b0rked). Also, I have used that quartz extreme composer, and goofing with the screensaver template, i have found that it says my pc is a G4 (Not true, of course)..... Maybe still some rosetta action in quartz??? I am going to try iLife '05, CS2, and iWork later.

for the audio guys here.. might work.. drivers for mbox ect should be in core audio already shouldnt they?

i cant launch logic express here... no sse3 yet

i cant acess my rme hammerfall via coreaudio but driver installed fine

tried installing ableton live aswell but no go.. ill be muckin around with this for tonight untill i can get my hands on a different computer

anxious to see how some cross platform programs compare in performance on the same computer with different operating systems :D

bumpidy bump (just cuz)

any luck with that mbox ziki?

just got the sse3 patch from max *no sse3 here yet

now i managed to get ableton live 5 demo and logic express demo loaded and working

logic demo came with no demo song...ill have to test its performance in a bit..

ableton live 5 had crappy performance... demo song plays back fine in the first 16 bars but when the song gets more heavy cpu shoots up to 130-150 % cpu usage... probably has to do with the lack of sse3 here.. cant wait to test this stuff on a sse3 computer

cant get any of my hardware working either...

i though that atleast my midex8 would work as most people seem to be having no probs with usb hardware.. could be again cuz of the rosetta patch but maybe because devices like these are more rare and not as widely used..

rme hammerfall was a no go (control panel wont open, no inputs or outputs in coreaudio)

universal audio uad-1 dsp card was also no go... software installs fine.. cant talk to the hardware however gave me some erros indicating cpu threads.. again probably a rosetta thing

(all the hardware installs fine with no error messages... using proper tiger drivers (core audio.core midi ect.. just wont show up under core audio or core midi aswell as the programs...uad card has its on control panel that gives and error saying it cant communicate with hardware ect)(

if you get that maudio thing working let us know please :P

im probably totally jumping the gun thinking this gears gonna work.. but man would it be awesome..

logic and ableton live are useless to me unless i can get them working with proper soundcards and midi interfaces

also core audio has no direct monitoring at the moment... so usb soundcards even if we can get them working wont have uber low latency settings like the fw digi stuff or alternative stuff like the motu soundcards or rme soundcards with the lack of direct monitoring recording with usb will likely be a {censored} if we cant hear whats going on in real-time... unless of course we monitor from mixer.still be beter than nothing however...

i think (speculating) that since logic protools and ableton live and motu digital performer all use the core audio driver to talk to soundcards and au format for plugins all of them should give marginally the same performance to a certain degree... things might work really slowly using core audio and onboard / consumer type soundcards but using fw or pci cards like the ones i mentioned above should increase performance dramatically

• 2 years later...

if it's worth mentioning, i run a digi 003 with protools on JAS 10.4.8 flawlessly.

the digi 003 was recognised automatically, but would not work untill the digi core audio thing was installed.

cant see why mbox etc wouldnt be the same.

• 1 month later...

Hey Guys ...i m excited for seeing that someone is discussing AUDIO here ......

Wel i dont know about PROTOOLS .....but i have (uphuck v1.4) 10.4.9a on my AMD machine and running "LOGIC STUDIO" so smoothly...and my sound card "TASCAM-FW-1814 firewire" is fully working with all the stuff i have installed like...(Soundtrack pro" Garageband" Mainstage).... :P

Motherboard-MSI K8N SLi Platinium

Processor-AMD 64-3500+

Memory-2 GB DDR1

Graphic Card-G-Force 6200 128mb

Hard Drive-120 GB -IDE