If you get a "Time Machine could not be configured. The built-in network interface could not be found" after time machine fix

McPhil

54 posts in this topic

How can i access to my old backups in time machine now??

Heh, did you try typing something like "access old time machine backup" in google?

The very first hit has a possible solution (set your Google language prefs to English).

What probably happened is that your "Hardware UUID" has changed for some reason, causing Time Machine to reset itself because it thinks it's running on a different computer.

Upgrade to Chameleon 2.0 RC5 and don't use any kind of UUID.kext or UUID in smbios.plist or com.apple.Boot.plist.

Chameleon 2.0 RC5 automatically sets a Hardware UUID that it pulls from your PC's BIOS, this ID will never change and so you'll never have this problem again.

Go back to using an unmodified IONetworkingFamily.kext, (and/or remove any LAN device-properties string from com.apple.Boot.plist) and then simply set EthernetBuiltIn=y in /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist to get Time Machine working and eliminate "Error 35" in the system logs.

You must have a driver for your ethernet hardware loaded and working for that to work though.

Chameleon 2.0 RC5 installer here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=231075

Release topic here (read it all and learn from other people's initial mistakes, including mine):

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=225766

• 1 month later...

I just thought I'd let you guys know that I just got this error on my old Blue and white MAC tower (Highly modified, dual priocessor, sata and USB cards), running the latest version of Leopard with all updates). Time Machin works fine on my two PC HAckintosh's. This isn't a problime confined to the x86 world.

Ivan

• 2 months later...
- Download EFIStudio if you don't have it: GFXUtil News & Announcements

- Launch EFIStudio; in the "Device" area, click on the field were it says "Display" and change it to "Ethernet"

- Click on "Add Device" button below and in the new Editor window click on the "Write to com.apple.Boot.plist" button

- Enter you password, close the program and reboot

This is no secret, it's been around but i don't know who to credit it :P

The "backup volume could not be found" thing, was never a problem to me. That only happened when i disabled backups (if i do remember correctly), it's only a matter of setting the backup disk to None and select one again.

So, if you have that problem after trying the solutions in this thread, try the ToH patched kext.

Hope this helps someone :P

Dude....I love you haha it worked like a charm thanks bro :P