Quartz Extreme with GeForce 8400M GS

vinny31187

22 posts in this topic

I just installed OS X 86 on my XPS 1330, finally got it to work but i am having trouble with iMovie. it says the graphic card doesn't support Quartz Extreme. is there anyway i can get iMovie to work with my 8400M GS?

I would appreciate any help anyone can provide!!!

Thank you.

Vinny

It is not just about iMovie. Quartz Extreme is not turned on proper, your graphics is able to run QE.

Go to the utilities folder and open the System-Profiler. To the left choose Graphics/Monitor.

To the right you then somewhere can see the Quartz Extreme status.

Look up:

http://######.com/index.php?option=...3&Itemid=74

for the right driver (kext).

Or try EFI Stirngs. There also is a very good tool for that (and else) see:

http://######.com/osx86tools/

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Hi, ive been working on my 8400m GS all week and I cannot make QE work, how did you do it? please help me I'm helpless here!!!

Thanks for your help

Same by me :) with 10.5.5 i am shure it was ok. I tried a lot but dmesg says:

NVDANV50HAL loaded and registered.

ERROR: FireWire unable to determine security-mode; defaulting to full-secure.

NVID: family specific matching fails

ApplePS2Trackpad: Synaptics TouchPad v6.2

[HCIController][configurePM] power parent ready after 1 tries

HDEF: family specific matching fails

SystemInfos are:

VRAM (gesamt): 256 MB

Hersteller: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Geräte-ID: 0x0428

Versions-ID: 0x00a1

ROM-Version: GeForce 8400m GS OpenGL Engine [EFI]

Monitore:

Monitor:

Auflösung: 1280 x 800

Farbtiefe: 32-Bit Farbe

Core Image: Software

Hauptmonitor: Ja

Synchronisierung: Aus

Eingeschaltet: Ja

Quartz Extreme: Nicht unterstützt

QuartzGL: Unterstützt

Please help! What mix are able too run QE. Version infos shoul be helpfull.

• 2 months later...

I have nvidia 8400m gs graphing card on my hp dv2700 et. I tried nvinject and could get quartz and any other functions about my graphing card. I can play need for speed carbon, guitar hero and braid. The problem is the performance. I installed same games in to windows, and i changed the resoultions and got very good performance with same games. For exaple; guitar hero 3 can only work 800x600 resolution in mac but I can play smoothly with 1280x800 resolution in XP. I don't understans the problem the same card but half performance. I know in computer envirenment everything consist of I and O. So the card should work perfectly or not.

NVinject.kext.zip

• 5 months later...

Hi all.

I have a laptop with nvidia 8400M GS 128MB and Snow Leopard 10,6,2

By default 8400 is detected but with 32MB; With "insanelymac Nvidia Installer 3.0 Beta Version by Punk92" 8400 goes to 128MB, its fine.

But i want to use iMovie, and it requieres QE/CI to work.

I search around forums, net, etc, but nothing works :'(

I try to edit nvinject.kext and set IOProbeScore to 0. Dont works.

I try to install some nvinject.kexts form net. All have a kernel panic or black screen.

Someone knows how to add QE/CI to 8400M GS?

I use the last NVinject uploaded, but no result :)

I copy it to /S/L/E, then

chmod -R 755

chown -R root:wheel

Wait 20 seconds, and then a warning appears: "NVinject is not propertly installed" (or something else), reboot and all still like before :'(

I'm under Snow Leopard

• 3 weeks later...

i have spent the past week (on and off) and literally the past 24 hours (straight with no sleep) to get this kext.

it is a 128mb 8400gs m

Display:

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 32 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0427

Revision ID: 0x00a1

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1280 x 800

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

i have booted and rebooted OSX 5 times in the past 24 hours bc i keep screwing up my configuration by following some tutuorials i have found. my computer and especially my hard drive are gettin really upset with me.

I am no noob to computers but when it comes to apple i am clueless. this is my first venture into appleland and i like what i see. i just dont want my taste of this wonderful fruit and be cast out (due to frustration) like adam and ever.

As a side note... OSX is reporting my cpu as a 1.47 dualcore processor when it really is a 1.6. this is not a deal breaker for me bc i dont really use cpu intensive apps. but i need this gpu to work but i cant stand this choppy screen artifact effect. i really need qe/ci!!! :)

• 4 months later...

Pls help

I have a hp dv 2535ea laptop with a 8400m gs graphics card.

Im using snow leopard 10.6.3 and so far have had no success in getting the card working.

Ive used kext helper, to install nvhal50, then nvkush, nvinjetor etc.

But on reboot it still does not get seen. There is so many conflicting tuts on getting this card working, and nothing seems to work for me.

Has anyone gotton this card to work on 10.6.3 and if so how.

Thanks in advance

Pls help

I have a hp dv 2535ea laptop with a 8400m gs graphics card.

Im using snow leopard 10.6.3 and so far have had no success in getting the card working.

Ive used kext helper, to install nvhal50, then nvkush, nvinjetor etc.

But on reboot it still does not get seen. There is so many conflicting tuts on getting this card working, and nothing seems to work for me.

Has anyone gotton this card to work on 10.6.3 and if so how.

Thanks in advance

WIll find some answer on : google it : 'HCL 10.6.2' or 'HCL (your version of OS)'

• 2 weeks later...

Geee!!!! thanks!!!! /SARC

I hope someone has something useful to say about this, The 8400MGS is actually listed in the 10.6.3 Driver (NVDANV50HAL) as a supported chipset 0427 G86 [GeForce 8400M GS]

I have got as far as a real resolution with a hand coded NVCAP... but I still haven't managed to enable the Quartz Extreme... I've tried my hand at DSDT and failed... if someone wants to offer a hand I'll gladly give any information needed.

I have tried netkas drivers and NVinject and several others... looks like the drivers just aren't out there or I'm not working them correctly....

It looks like there are a number of laptops with these chipsets, please help, If you need a tester, I'm here!

running 10.6.3 in 64bit (yes, I tried arch=x86 for each of the above drivers and still no joy), intel core2duo cpu.

Thanks

I'm currently on Snow Leopard and with NVKush I get the maximum resolution, but wih no QE/CI...

anyone have the solution?

Ok, So we are now on 10.6.3 (almost time for 10.6.4) , did any of you guys out there find a solution?

Thanks

got mine working:

3) The com.apple.Boot.plist

a) GraphicsEnabler. That’s so huge!!!!!

Just add this code to your Boot.plist.

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>y</string>

Attention!

a.1) In order to work properly, DON’T add EFI strings, DON’T add ANY graphicsrelated kext to the Extra/Extension folder. DON’T add graphics hacks to DSDT.

a.2) If it still doesn’t work’s: use gfxutil (gfxutil –f display) to see your PCIRoot(0,X). If X=0 you are doing something wrong or your card is not supported. If X=1,two solutions patch PCI0 device Name (One to Zero) in DSDT or use Netkas 10.1 bootloader.

I now have QE!

just needed to follow a.1

got mine working:

<string>y</string>

Attention!

a.1) In order to work properly, DON’T add EFI strings, DON’T add ANY graphicsrelated kext to the Extra/Extension folder. DON’T add graphics hacks to DSDT.

a.2) If it still doesn’t work’s: use gfxutil (gfxutil –f display) to see your PCIRoot(0,X). If X=0 you are doing something wrong or your card is not supported. If X=1,two solutions patch PCI0 device Name (One to Zero) in DSDT or use Netkas 10.1 bootloader.

I now have QE!

Thank you spook it worked for me thanks for sharing.

andy.

got mine working:

<string>y</string>

Attention!

I now have QE!

hey spook, thank you SO much. this issue was really doing my head in! i done all sorts of crazy stuff, but nothing works near as well as your very simple solution.

• 3 weeks later...

<string>y</string>

i cant believe it, such a simple fix, .......i added kexts, efi, reinstalled, and kept getting black screen after booting. the only thing that saved me was an image i had made of my mac volume yesterday b4 i installed the new video card.

the on board ati radeon 2100 would not go above 1024x768 which "finalcut" wont install at. so i bought the 512mb asus en8400gs silent nvidia 8400gs chipset video card (wiki osx86 states the 8400gs is hcl) it booted up just fine without no prior software mods to mac and it reconized the card as a nvidia but i had the same resolution as my ati card and showing only 32mb of memory.

so i used osxtools to add the efi string, which caused the output to go to dvi not vga, so i connect to dvi and the screen goes to black after the apple logo, harddrive is spinning, sound coming from speakers, but no video so i start deleting and adding kexts to no avail, not even a reinstall cured that (i guess i choosed the wrong options on the leohazard disk).

so i booted up with my newly restored image , and searching all day for a cure and finally read what u wrote and said no, cant be that easy, ....wow it was , i edited the com.apple.Boot.plist in "/extra" folder, for newbs, copy the file to another location, make ur changes and save it, delete original file and paste the new one back to the extra folder in the root of the drive, mac didnt let me edit while it was in the extra folder. so now i got max res at 1600x1200, quartz i dont know it doesnt show in the system profiler.

so ty for that simple solution

2 questions though, how do imake it use vga out instead of dvi, and if i did a reinstall of 10.6.0, what option should i pick for this 8400gs chipset

• 4 weeks later...
got mine working:

<string>y</string>

Attention!

I now have QE!

Dude, if I could buy you a beer right now, I'd buy you a case. I have spent so much time trying to get this to work. TY TY TY TY!!!!!!

• 1 month later...