[How To] Install Leopard Retail DVD on ASUS P6T Deluxe LGA 1366 (core i7)

M J

925 posts in this topic

@sensite: not quite yet! but M J told me that i should set up the EFI partition before trying this otherwise it won't work. Actually i'm steps behind of what i was saturday since i had to reinstall everything (xp x64 and retail leopard) because i formatted to gpt then to mbr then to gpt again :rolleyes: then i had the bright idea of updating 10.5.5, then it stopped booting, so i reinstalled one more time and now its not booting into installation :wacko: i had to give up out of exhaustion :P

@cipz; afaik it has to be GPT, otherwise leopard installer will sneeze at it. If you find a way around this, please let us/me know :)

I hit Y to continue and it gives me a different screen and stops on this. Thank you for all your help.

post-341066-1231772695_thumb.jpg

this is the same KP i reported before;

when the slimbuild image boots, you press F8

it will take you to a window showing

something(111 or some number,0) Slimbuild-Preboot whatever

then you press ESC

it will ask you what device to load from (for me it was ef, it might be 9f for others, usually the default inside square brackets its the right one)

put the Leopard retail disc before this next step!

put the two hex digits and press enter

press F8 again

now instead of SlimBuild-preboot should say mac os x install dvd

here you put the booting command

rd(0,1)/.....

I hit Y to continue and it gives me a different screen and stops on this. Thank you for all your help.

post-341066-1231772695_thumb.jpg

Are you sure you have BIOS configured right? Looks like you have HT or multiple cores on.

Frank: the raids created using the motherboard raid setup (ctrl+I when booting)? or does osx let you create a pure software raid within the os?

if i have my mobo sata in RAID mode the initial boot gets stuck on waiting for root device.

I didn't find any drivers to support the onboard raid, so it's a software raid from within OS X.

Alright, when I use -x to start the installation, it does freeze at "Preparing Installation" at the loading bar. Any ideas on how to get by this or determine what is actually causing it?

It would sure be nice to have a command line installation :thumbsup_anim:

Thanks for all your help, and I hope someone knows the solution to this!

I'm finished :P
  • updated to 10.5.6 via USB-stick immediately after DSDT/EFI and before driver installation (only audio would work otherwise and LAN and video cause freezings, when not freezing LAN would always show "Cable not connected")

M J, this is the same you told me, could you update the top post moving step F before step E?

Frankest1, did you got the 10.5.5 and 10.5.6 update .dmg from the apple site right? you just copied it into the usb stick and ran? or this 'usb-stick' is actually some custom update package in some usb image that i have to download somewhere?

thanks guys! ;)

i got mine updated to 10.5.6

steps

1) download

2) install

3) after update is complete, don't restart. open a terminal and relink your /mach_kernel to /mach_kernel.voodoo. the update will overwrite the /mach_kernel with the new binary. If you aren't using mach_kernel in the com.apple.Boot.plist then you are ok.

Now i'm trying to get the marv. sata/pata to work. anyone have any ideas?

Update: installed the kext form this post

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...arvell+88se6111

for anything who is installing from the marvell pata connection (non sata dvd), i think the initial boot should be disk0s3 instead of disk1s3, i haven't tried it yet, but i just swapped out my sata dvdr with a pata dvdr and its on disk0 where my hd was and now my hd is on disk1

alright! some progress, finally.

I did as M J and Frankest1 suggested; set up the EFI partition as in the guide, my boot.plist would look like

<key>kernel</key><string>bt(0,0)/mach_kernel.voodoo</string>

<key>kernel flags</key><string>busratio=24 -v boot-uuid=.... </string>

small question thought; i set the DSDT.aml, enabled all cores + HT on the bios, and now it boots! although System Profiler reports 4 cores,

i had the impression that with HT should be reporting 8? are you guys also seeing 4? Believe me when i say that i removed all those damn alias for sure! ;)

update: alright, i see all the 8 on Activity monitor floating cpu window! hurray! :D

Thanks again guys! ^_^

I updated the guide with several things that came out in these days. For those of you who get stuck, have you tried putting the right busratio for your processor (20 for the i7 920, 22 for the 940 and 24 for the 965)?

3) after update is complete, don't restart. open a terminal and relink your /mach_kernel to /mach_kernel.voodoo. the update will overwrite the /mach_kernel with the new binary. If you aren't using mach_kernel in the com.apple.Boot.plist then you are ok.

Now i'm trying to get the marv. sata/pata to work. anyone have any ideas?

Update: installed the kext form this post

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...arvell+88se6111

Can you write the exact thing you have to type in the terminal, so that I can put it in the guide?

About the Marvel, I still haven't understood what SATA it controls. Our SATA controller isn't the ICH10? I was looking for a PATA only version...

Hey i'm new here! I've got a configuration based on Asus P6T Deluxe MB 9800GTX 3GB of ram 1600Mhz OCZ a blank HDD and a core i7 920 First thanks for this nice wiki! i think it were not simple to do it! But i've a question! Can i install the system with a copy of the retail DVD of leo in version 10.5.1? or is it a problem? cuz you say buy a copy of the retail DVD, but the copy you will buy on the apple store seems to be the version 10.5.4, does it mean that i have to download each updates and install them one by one? Cuz if i proceed with a copy of the retail DVD of my friend who is in version 10.5.1, have i to download each updates? Thanks Excuse me for my english i'm french, and i really like your job guy's! Only one word: THX!

EDIT: Ok no problem i've seen the system requirement by dowloading the lastest updates on Apple's website, and my conclusion is that i can proceed with a copy of the retail DVD in version 10.5.1 cuz in the lastest update all futher updates are including!

I will keep you informed about my future succes story :(

ok, just booted into 10.5.6, everything seems to be working, now rereading the guide and Frankest1 experience for the next step (install audio and LAN drivers) i noticed that M J, you said that installing the .kext to the EFI won't work? do you know the reason for this? so the long term goal of having all overrides in a single place factored out of the vanilla system seems somewhat compromised by this

MJ:

I'm not very good at writing instructions, but here i go.

I followed the guide until after I setup the EFI

Pre1 - make sure that you do not enable the auto boot or you'll need to have the Boot 123 cd handy if any mistakes are made.

1) installed voodoo, 9.5.0 following the pdf here http://code.google.com/p/xnu-dev/downloads/list

Follow the Install Manually section

Note - they mention that you need to update the kext to have usb hotplug working if you go straight to 10.5.6 the needed kext is provided in the voodoo dmg

Note - if you want to use VMware fusion you'll need to keep the kernel named as mach_kernel and not mach_kernel.vood. This can be done with a symlink as they mention.

2) downloaded the 10.5.6 dmg here http://support.apple.com/downloads/Mac_OS_...-6_Combo_Update

Run the update - DO NOT REBOOT (or you'll need to manually boot with bt(0,0)/mach_kernel.voodoo busratio=20 -v -f rd=disk[X]s2 as the boot paramters

Since the update changed /mach_kernel to 10.5.6 (this does not support the i7) you will need to move this file (mv /mack_kernel /mach_kernel.10.5.6) and symlink again to /mach_kernel.voodoo

3) reboot and you'll be running 10.5.6 with usb support.

hope this helps.

2) downloaded the 10.5.6 dmg here http://support.apple.com/downloads/Mac_OS_...-6_Combo_Update

Run the update - DO NOT REBOOT (or you'll need to manually boot with bt(0,0)/mach_kernel.voodoo busratio=20 -v -f rd=disk[X]s2 as the boot paramters

Since the update changed /mach_kernel to 10.5.6 (this does not support the i7) you will need to move this file (mv /mack_kernel /mach_kernel.10.5.6) and symlink again to /mach_kernel.voodoo

when you set up the EFI boot partition, the /mach_kernel in the root folder won't matter since you'll be booting from the one on the efi partition, which is the voodoo one (until 10.5.7 arrives, when they'll happily format efi just for busting our nuts :rolleyes:

anyway guys, just got QE/CI working under the 9800gt and NVKush injecter + Nvidia install 9xx series v2 :whistle: next step, getting that azalia and yukon thingies to wrok

The Guide has great thus far and I'm sooo glad I'm not alone in this journey. Thanks for everyone's support. I've been trying to OSX to install properly and I am not on my 3rd video card as I found out that the GTX 260 and the ATI 3650 has limited support. I am now using a 7300le just to try and get it installed. Everytime I try to install it locks up the install about 99% of the way through. It says less than a minute and just hangs. The install progress bar hangs and does not move from that point. I am going to try with the -x and see if I can make it go through in safe mode. Wish me luck. Congrats to everyone that has been successful, I hope to be one of the few very soon.

Thanks,

Jake

CoolerMaster Cosmos,P6T DLX, i7 920, Corsair Dominator 3*2GB(6GB DDR3 1600), Monsoon III, GTX260, Seagate 1.5TB,etc

I tried it with safe mode and it finally came up and said "Installation Failed" - Mac OS X could not be installed... The Installer could not make the computer boot from the volume, you may need to select your disk using the startup disk utility. I am going to try and proceed with some of the other steps. I'll let you know how it goes.

Jake

The Guide has great thus far and I'm sooo glad I'm not alone in this journey. Thanks for everyone's support. I've been trying to OSX to install properly and I am not on my 3rd video card as I found out that the GTX 260 and the ATI 3650 has limited support. I am now using a 7300le just to try and get it installed. Everytime I try to install it locks up the install about 99% of the way through. It says less than a minute and just hangs. The install progress bar hangs and does not move from that point. I am going to try with the -x and see if I can make it go through in safe mode. Wish me luck. Congrats to everyone that has been successful, I hope to be one of the few very soon.

Thanks,

Jake

CoolerMaster Cosmos,P6T DLX, i7 920, Corsair Dominator 3*2GB(6GB DDR3 1600), Monsoon III, GTX260, Seagate 1.5TB,etc

ITS ALIVE!!! Even though it said the install failed, I tried the next step and it booted into Vanilla! I am now going to continue. Thanks for the help guys.

Jake

I tried it with safe mode and it finally came up and said "Installation Failed" - Mac OS X could not be installed... The Installer could not make the computer boot from the volume, you may need to select your disk using the startup disk utility. I am going to try and proceed with some of the other steps. I'll let you know how it goes.

Jake

it said that to me too, don't worry about it. just go ahead and restart, but now instead of booting from device ef (or 9f, or whatever the dvd was using)

you know boot into 80 (or 81 depending on where you hdd installation is)

then, change the X and the Y in rd=diskXsY to be the disk and partition your installation is

it will boot into your installation without problems :wacko:

I had tried it after the install and just proceeded to ty the next step and it worked. Now i am working with the EFI and getting the DSDT patched. Thanks for all the help.

Jake

it said that to me too, don't worry about it. just go ahead and restart, but now instead of booting from device ef (or 9f, or whatever the dvd was using)

you know boot into 80 (or 81 depending on where you hdd installation is)

then, change the X and the Y in rd=diskXsY to be the disk and partition your installation is

it will boot into your installation without problems :(

@lurscer: The Yukon will work form EFI only if you also put in your EFI the whole IONetworkingFamily.kext. I don't find this useful since your original IONetworkingFamily wouldn't get automatic updates, but it's a matter of personal choice. As for the Azalia, it simply won't be loaded if put in the EFI partition, and I have no idea why. Maybe it's like for the network, and it needs some kext along as well?

@sensite: You need to update the link only if you will use VMWare.

@Jake: Happened to me as well, will add this to the guide.

@Mad_noob: Welcome on board! And no it's not normal, check your Nero, and tell us exactly what the error says.

Thanks

I manage to burn it with another soft! Now I want to install iDeneb because i haven't the officiel DVD of MAC yet, so i want to try it first!

I've a IDE DVD writer and only one Blank HDD, I've type -V when the cd boot and it stop at line

MAC Framework successfully initialized 
using 15728 buffer headers and 4096 cluster IO buffer headers

I will probably test it tomorrow with a friend who have a official DVD of MAC OSX 10.5.1

When i want to install MAC OSX from a official DVD do i have to install ideneb first or booting the P6T Deluxe boot 123 V3 disc and then the official DVD?

In your tutorial i suppose that the installation of ideneb is an alternative when you don't have purchased an official DVD of MAC? Are my meanning true?

Another question, how did you find my english?

Your english is good and clear :|

You can't install iDeneb using this guide though! But I believe you still have to disable HT and enable only 1 core at least for the installation, that's why you stop at that line. If you are going to install it from a retail DVD there is no need to install iDeneb first.

Your english is good and clear :|

You can't install iDeneb using this guide though! But I believe you still have to disable HT and enable only 1 core at least for the installation, that's why you stop at that line. If you are going to install it from a retail DVD there is no need to install iDeneb first.

Ok no problem... I have at this moment HT on disable and only 1 core disable, i've followed the step for modding the bios...

Never mind i will wait for tomorrow with the real version of MAC!

Ok So everything is up and running except audio and I'm working on that as well. I found a few nice tools called Osx86Tool & Onyx that have really helped alot. I don't know if anyone is having issues with usb devices mounting after 10.5.6 like I am. I read that you have to go back to the 10.5 system.kext because voodoo doesn't have their 9.6 drivers available yet. I still cannot enable all cores & HT it hangs right before GUI. Hope all is going well with everyone else's build.

Jake

:angel: